Pro Wrestling Only

The Bret Hart Ego Thread

Loss

Fair enough. If you want to debate that point, I'm all for that. I reacted strongly to the previous post because it irked me, but I do regret doing so. I just want to make sure the debates are about my points and not that I happen to be the one making them, and if we stay on that side of things, I'm fine, no matter how disagreed with I may be. :)

Actually I think perspective is a good thing, but it works both ways.

On Bret and Montreal you would be hard pressed to find anyone, anywhere, more extremely pro-Bret than I am. I think he was 100 percent in the right and the blame is ALL on Vince's end. But that has nothing to do with this in my eyes and in fact I think it is the subject of this thread (Bret's ego) that convinced Bret to get back in bed with Vince at all. How many other guys would have a sit down with a guy who had royally fucked them so badly, at the funeral of their brother who had died due to b.s./negligence from the same guy and say "hey, I don't want to be blackballed by history, so if you ever want to put me in your Hall of Fame or do some DVD stuff I"m down and want my input!" Not very many

How many other guys would have a sit down with a guy who had royally fucked them so badly, at the funeral of their brother who had died due to b.s./negligence from the same guy and say "hey, I don't want to be blackballed by history, so if you ever want to put me in your Hall of Fame or do some DVD stuff I"m down and want my input!" Not very many

To be fair, based on legal advice neither could really talk about anything having to do with Owen and I don't think Bret knew the degree of negligence yet. Though I don't remember why they decided to have that talk anyway.

How many other guys would have a sit down with a guy who had royally fucked them so badly, at the funeral of their brother who had died due to b.s./negligence from the same guy and say "hey, I don't want to be blackballed by history, so if you ever want to put me in your Hall of Fame or do some DVD stuff I"m down and want my input!" Not very many

But this didn't happen, not the way you've just layed out anyway.

The meeting was in a park, not a funeral. Bret was advised by lawyers not to talk about Owen or the case at all. Bret asked Vince why he screwed him and seeing as they were friends for years and hadn't spoken since that day in person, seems like a logical thing to come out with... what do you expect one to say to the other, "Hey, do you like cake?"

There has never been a report of any HOF mention (HOF wasn't rebooted 'till 2004) and the talk of use of archives came about when Vince pleaded with Bret to return to the WWF to finish up his career. Also worth noting that Bret refused this meeting several times, and finally accepted reluctantly.

One of my favorite lines of Shawn's incredible late 1997 heel run was the night after the Screwjob, "Give me a break Sarge, I just beat a man who believes he is a legend in his own mind." Shawn was so good at getting under Bret's skin during that run. It always cracked me up as he talked circles around Bret and Bret could not doing anything about it well besides make middle school level homophobic jokes. Now, I just want watch Shawn slaughter Bret on the mic.

Funny, because I think Shawn's mic work around that time was some of the most embarrassing stuff I've ever seen on a major wrestling programme. He totally came off to me as a jumped-up teenager holding court with his hangers on by making little inside references and going off script. Totally self-indulgent. Bret's homophobic remarks were an admitted low (though trumped by Triple H eagerly comandeering the mic to offer the smug-faced retort, "I ain't no queer"), but generally his mic work was top-notch during that run.

A case of one man's trash is another man's treasure, I suppose.

And as we saw in Wrestling With Shadows, Bret hated having to do the homophobic stuff, but was talked into doing it. He seemed to regret it as soon as the show was over.

Of course, in that same documentary Bret also didn't like doing the line about giving the United States an enema by sticking the hose in Pittsburgh--so maybe we could call his judgment into question.

So if I had started the thread it would have been ok?

Probably. It's a bit like me starting a "Shawn is a Douchebag" thread, and starting it with as minor thing as this thread. It would come across as Ax. To. Grind. :/

Not a massive knock on Loss. I do think he would be best served by moving on from defending the concept of the thread, and the weak initial example he tossed up. There are more defensive posts that Bret's Ego posts. If you think Bret had a giant ego, damn the torpedoes and go to fucking town on it. It's Bret: there are plenty of other example you can toss up, and just ignore whether folks thinking it's Great White Whale territory.

Yeah. Again, I agree that Bret is a huge colossal mark for himself, and while I won't personally enjoy reading that stuff because he was the first guy I dug when I first became a fan, I would have less problems with it if it was about say, portraying himself to be this virtuous once in a lifetime Tebow type hero while he was cheating on his wife and fucking every rat in each town... stuff that really burns a hole in his mystique.

So if I had started the thread it would have been ok?

Probably. It's a bit like me starting a "Shawn is a Douchebag" thread, and starting it with as minor thing as this thread. It would come across as Ax. To. Grind. :/

Not a massive knock on Loss. I do think he would be best served by moving on from defending the concept of the thread, and the weak initial example he tossed up. There are more defensive posts that Bret's Ego posts.

The idea that I have an ax to grind with Bret Hart is so completely unsubstantiated that I really don't even know what to do with that. I'm really disappointed in this, and honestly I find it a little insulting that you made a post specifically to criticize me. I don't have a history of defending the WWF's behavior during the Montreal screwjob, or favoring Shawn and HHH, or even really speaking much about Bret's delusion. I have a history of praising a lot of his matches and calling him a great worker. I also have a history of arguing strongly that Ric Flair was a better worker than Bret Hart. If there are more "defensive" posts in this thread, they are coming because I am being personally attacked and a response is in order.

If someone else wants to start a Bret thread, they can. I'm closing this since you seem to think you can insult me, and that I should just move on and not respond to it. Sorry, I'm not doing that.