Pro Wrestling Only

[1997-03-14-CMLL] Ultimo Dragoncito & Cicloncito Ramirez vs Damiancito El Guerrero & Pierrotito

Loss

• 3 weeks later...

Ramirez and Guerrero are so good. The other two are good too, but Ramirez and Guerrero are especially good. A refreshing amount of matwork in this, and I like how it's incorporated throughout the match instead of worked as its own section to build to more highspots later. No one really hides in plain sight in this match, which sometimes happens in multi-man lucha matches. I like that the tags are infrequent, because it gives each pairing time to marinate. Guerrero really has a nice mean streak, even when tossing in his acrobatic spots. The finishes of all three falls are really decisive (especially fall #1 and #2) and this is a bit more stiff than typical lucha with all the hard chops. This was just an "on paper" pick that didn't really have a rep and was almost cut from the set, but I'm really glad we were able to put it on. It's one of my favorite matches so far.

This was an excellent addendum to the Damiancito-Cicloncito singles match. Those guys were great again, both against each other and against their respective partners. And Ultimo Dragoncito added some crazy highspots, including one of the most death-defying moonsaults to the floor I've ever seen. The minis have ruled the lucha year to date.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

These minis look tall compared to others. Ramirez and Guerrero had some excellent mat exchanges early on. Ha! Ramirez brings the ridiculousness to win the second pinfall. That was over the top but fun. Loved the psyche out moonsault by Dragoncito to the outside instead of him hitting a move into the ring as looked like was going to happen. That looked great. Replays make it look so much more crazy.

• 1 year later...

MOTY is pretty much etched in stone already (unless the 10/21 rematch surprises me), but this is one for the list for sure. Some absolutely gorgeous technical wrestling punctuated by some great highspots, including that holy-shit moonsault to the floor from Dragoncito. I actually had a hard time picking out a man of the match--everyone looked good and brought good things to the table. In addition to being a death-defying spot, the moonsault even worked psychologically, with Dragoncito basically sacrificing himself to make sure Damiancito stayed out on the floor, with the DCOR combined with Cicloncito's submission netting a win for the technicos.

• 1 year later...

I thought that the initial matwork between Ultimo and Pierrotito was good. Then Ramirez and Guerrero entered the ring and blew them away. Spectacular. They were every bit as adept at fast paced, aerial Lucha as well. I never thought I'd be wanting a Virus in my life. As none of these four men are all that small I'd forgotten I was watching the minis division. It didn't seem to matter.

From a technical wrestling standpoint this was excellent. Structurally I thought they should've shortened the first two falls and added time to the third. Not a major problem. If it was more of a feature match then it could've been a Lucha MOTYC. An undercard atmosphere brings with it a ceiling, no matter how impressive the wrestling. There's so much potential here.

• GSR changed the title to [1997-03-14-CMLL] Ultimo Dragoncito & Cicloncito Ramirez vs Damiancito El Guerrero & Pierrotito