Pro Wrestling Only

Where the Big Boys Play #48

You might want a week to listen to this, because it took a month to make it ... Hope this serves as a nice reminder to guys who are still putting together their ballots, or I guess as an intro to AWA for anyone who hasn't yet picked up and watched the set.

Thanks to everyone who took part. As far as who is on what: first show is about 50 / 50 with Dylan and Brian mostly in the first half and Pete and Pete in the second half; second show is all Pete and Pete; third show is mostly just Dylan. Listening through, Matt D is almost like a missing 5th guy on these shows -- we should probably dedicate them to him.

EDIT: Get them all here: http://placetobenation.com/where-the-big-b...48-awa-special/

Posted Image

In a pretty full 3-part show, Chad and Parv welcome by turns Dylan Hales (aka Dylan Waco) and Brian Samec (aka Smack2k), and in a separate recording Pete (aka shoe) and Pete (aka PeteF3) to talk about the AWA in the 1980s with particular reference to the DVDR 1980s set.

Show #48a:

Posted Image

- Process of making the set and how the matches were chosen [12:49]

- Pre-conceptions of the AWA [20:17]

- Quirks of the AWA [33:24]

- Discussion of workers: Big John Studd [41:37], Rick Martel [46:23], Crusher Blackwell [01:01:01]

- Rankings, DVDR being down and Chad's plans to make a book of Matt D's match reviews [01:08:05]

Show #48b:

Posted Image

- Discussion of workers continued: Larry Zybysko [2:46], Sgt. Slaughter [12:15], Jerry Lawler [19:55], Curt Hennig [31:10], Buddy Rose and Doug Somers [44:14], Hulk Hogan [1:00:22], Wahoo McDaniel [1:22:41]

- Rose & Somers vs. Midnight Rockers Christmas Cage match / Matt D vs. goodhelmet discussion [51:12]

- Should Hogan have been made champ or was he always going to New York? Did he even need the title? [1:07:34]

- Worst workers [1:13:25]

- 150 picks [1:27:41]

Show #48c:

Posted Image

- "Revelations": Col. DeBeers [Pro: 3:18, Anti: 10:44], Jim Brunzell [16:40], Stan Hansen ("in the USA") [17:57], Boris Zhukov [25:28]

- Worst matches [30:21]

- Two camps or "factions" in the watchers of the set: the fetishism of violence vs. the worship of structure [37:38]

- The complete and total awesomeness of Nick Bockwinkel [51:37]

- Final thoughts [1:07:05]

Yes I have no fucking clue how this will be edited but look forward to listening to it tomorrow.

One thing I want to note and I'm not sure this part of the conversation survived, but one of the big things that came out of this set to me was how visceral many of the disagreements were even among people who often disagree. There was really much less consensus then I would have guessed and that has bothered me and confused me all through the process mainly because I hadn't been able to figure out why this was the case. Shortly after we recorded I thing I sort of figured it out.

Basically it's my view that the level of disagreement and at times really spirited disagreement is because of the fact that the AWA lacked any real standard bearer matches coming in, nor was it a fed where anyone had a real fixed opinion on anything. In other words this set more so than others before it was a ground floor endeavor. People weren't just picking favorites, they were setting the table for how the AWA was being perceived in general. I'm sure some people will say that they weren't conscious of that but that's not necessarily the point. The point is that the lack of sacred cows, meant that to varying degrees everyone was trying to erect their own idols and/or keep things out of the pantheon that they thought weren't deserving.

Yes I have no fucking clue how this will be edited but look forward to listening to it tomorrow.

One thing I want to note and I'm not sure this part of the conversation survived, but one of the big things that came out of this set to me was how visceral many of the disagreements were even among people who often disagree. There was really much less consensus then I would have guessed and that has bothered me and confused me all through the process mainly because I hadn't been able to figure out why this was the case. Shortly after we recorded I thing I sort of figured it out.

Basically it's my view that the level of disagreement and at times really spirited disagreement is because of the fact that the AWA lacked any real standard bearer matches coming in, nor was it a fed where anyone had a real fixed opinion on anything. In other words this set more so than others before it was a ground floor endeavor. People weren't just picking favorites, they were setting the table for how the AWA was being perceived in general. I'm sure some people will say that they weren't conscious of that but that's not necessarily the point. The point is that the lack of sacred cows, meant that to varying degrees everyone was trying to erect their own idols and/or keep things out of the pantheon that they thought weren't deserving.

What's neat is there were a couple of matches I did have some preconceptions on, but those preconceptions were "Ah that's overrated." And I realized I was wrong. Mainly Hennig/ Bock draw and the Rockers/ Buddy and Doug stuff. The debut of the Master Blaster was as great as I remembered.

In the second show there's a bit where we get about 30 seconds of Dylan clipped in during the Hogan talk. I'll give a cookie to anyone who can tell me where the dissolve sound effect comes from. :)

It sounds like Wayne and Garth, but I wouldn't think they'd be on your radar, Parv. ;)

Posted Image

Course they are. You got it from that little bit?

I haven't heard everything yet but I'll comment on one thing.

Re: me not giving credence to everything else in the Cage match, I do. Wrestling, however, is not something where you can take everything good and add it all up on a points system, not to me. How good the rest of the match is is actually part of what makes the terrible beginning so bad. It wouldn't be so bad if it was in a shit match. That it's in a match that should have been one of the greatest cage matches of all time is what it makes it so tragic and so terrible. Michaels basically digs himself so big a hole that no FIP performance and no heel beating can make up for it (not to mention things like Jannetty no selling the cage shot, etc). I hate the match so much not because there aren't great performances, but because they're completely ruined and invalidated. And even then I probably wouldn't hate it so much if they didn't run the same match a few weeks later without the glaring flaws so that I had it as a point of comparison. That's like salt into the wound.

There's plenty more to say but that'll be in a few days.

Guys at this point I don't think anyone is going to change their minds. All anyone is doing is repeating themselves at this stage (although I didn't know that nuance about the second half in Matt's argument till just now).

We covered it on the show because I felt it was one of the stories of the set, but let's not have part 26 of the feud now. It'll just go round in circles again.

There really isn't a great deal of negativity on these shows, it's more or less 3 hours of critical appraisal. What negativity there is, is stuff you already know: I don't like Brad Rhenigans or his match with Martel, Chad doesn't like Debbie the Killer Tomato, Dylan doesn't like the Manny-Wahoo handheld (neither does anyone else really), PeteF3 and shoe don't like Col. DeBeers (as much as everyone else), no one likes Mr. Elecriticty Steven Regal. That's about it going off memory. I mean shit, even WOAT-contender Boris Zukhov gets his day in the sun here, which is still something I find mind blowing.

There really isn't a great deal of negativity on these shows, it's more or less 3 hours of critical appraisal. What negativity there is, is stuff you already know: I don't like Brad Rhenigans or his match with Martel, Chad doesn't like Debbie the Killer Tomato, Dylan doesn't like the Manny-Wahoo handheld (neither does anyone else really), PeteF3 and shoe don't like Col. DeBeers (as much as everyone else), no one likes Mr. Elecriticty Steven Regal. That's about it going off memory. I mean shit, even WOAT-contender Boris Zukhov gets his day in the sun here, which is still something I find mind blowing.

My commentary was tongue in cheek. ;)

It has become apparent in reading people's thoughts on this set that the stock of the AWA has risen in the eyes of many, and that is a good thing.

I haven't been over at DVDVR so the Sept. 15th deadline came out of nowhere for me. I have a very, very loose ballot in place from months ago. I think I'll try to rewatch some the high end stuff in the next few days to try finalize the top of ballot at least. Probably give this podcast a listen too to help me get motivated to put whole thing together.