Pro Wrestling Only

Kawada in Canada?

Smack2k

I read Kawada worked in Canada getting some "seasoning" early in his career...

Who did he work for and what ring name did he go by?

Is there video available of him?

Have you read Tom Zenk's piece on him? It's speaks a little bit about him in Canada: http://web.archive.org/web/20030415071320/...93/column17.htm

Kawada was then sent to North America for a year in November 1985, where he gained experience as a pro wrestler in Fred Behrend's Texas All-Star Wrestling (San Antonio, Texas), Stu Hart's Stampede Wrestling (in Calgary) and Frank Valois' International Wrestling (in Montreal); Kawada was billed as "Kio Kawada from Seoul, South Korea" in Stampede Wrestling for a very short time around June 1986.

He was also "Mr. Toshiaki" in Montreal according to Masanori Horie.

He showed up on the one Montreal tape I had as Mr. Toshiaki but only as one of about a dozen people that was sent out to break out a brawl. Didn't get to see him work. That was an official comm tape built around an Abdullah the Butcher vs. Steve DiSalvo match (which was actually pretty decent).

How come Kawada did overseas experience but none of Taue, Misawa or Kobashi did?

Well, Misawa did go to Mexico along with Koshinaka for EMLL as the heel tag team as "Kamikaze Misawa" and "Samurai Shiro." When he returned to Japan as Tiger Mask (8/26/84), it was against La Fiera who had been his trainer in Mexico.

Kobashi and Taue came at a time when:

* the territories were dead

There really weren't as many places to send someone off. New Japan kept sending guys away (like Kojima and Nakanishi), but it got harder to do so. The places Baba would send guys pretty much dried up.

* AJPW / SWS split

That was April/May 1990. Just over two years into Kobashi and Taue's career. Somewhere between 2-4 years in is when Baba would send guys away (with the exception of Jumbo who went away at the start). When Tenryu & Co left, spots opened up, Taue and Kobashi moved up, then Kabuki jumped too, and they moved up yet again. There never was a time after that for them to leave.

Combined, there were fewer places and they became "stars" before the time came to leave.

According to wrestlingdata.com Kawada wrestled in Stampede as Black Mephisto in 1986. I just checked a list of my Stampede stuff and it looks like I have three matches of his, against Chris Benoit, and two against Robbie Stewart.

Here is a list of matches from Stampede:

Black Mephisto in Stampded

Here is a list of matches of "Toshiaki" from International Wrestling in Montreal

Toshiaki in Montreal

Guest TheGreatPuma

According to wrestlingdata.com Kawada wrestled in Stampede as Black Mephisto in 1986. I just checked a list of my Stampede stuff and it looks like I have three matches of his, against Chris Benoit, and two against Robbie Stewart.

Here is a list of matches from Stampede:

Black Mephisto in Stampded

Here is a list of matches of "Toshiaki" from International Wrestling in Montreal

Toshiaki in Montreal

Man, I'm trying to remember. I know I heard word about there being 2 Black Mephistos in Stampede and I'm trying to remember what was up with that. I used to know a little more. The Kawada vs Benoit match is joined in progress and is really good fun.

• 4 weeks later...

I just finished reading Kawada's book and he doesn't have much good to say about his experience in Canada (other than his friendship with Rick Martel) and he spent a lot of his time there basically unemployed with no way home. I'm working on a more detailed write-up of the whole thing right now and I'll post the link in here when it's up if anyone's interested. (I just don't want people to think I'm spamming!)

I just finished reading Kawada's book and he doesn't have much good to say about his experience in Canada (other than his friendship with Rick Martel) and he spent a lot of his time there basically unemployed with no way home. I'm working on a more detailed write-up of the whole thing right now and I'll post the link in here when it's up if anyone's interested. (I just don't want people to think I'm spamming!)

Yeah, that pretty much jives with what Zenk wrote about him. Is Zenk mentioned at all in the book?

is the book available in English at all?

It's not, but you're honestly not missing out on too much. He really clams up a lot once he hits about '90-'91 so there's not really many good stories from his career. It goes from "I thought about just jumping off the roof of my high school and ending it all there," to "We had a great match and I'm proud that I won," out of no where. I'm not sure if it's just Japanese cultural differences or because he was still in the business when he wrote it (it was published in 2003). I'm not interested in putting in all the work it'd take to translate a 300 page book, but I hope my write-ups will do a decent enough job of plucking the most interesting parts. I'm also planning on getting Kobashi's two books soon (one from 1999 and one from earlier this year), so I'll do write-ups on them, too.

Is Zenk mentioned at all in the book?

Zenk is brought up once, but mostly as a friend of Martel and not someone Kawada had too much interaction with. He specifically talks about traveling with Martel and hanging out with him and his wife, but never brings up Zenk other than that one time and to admit he took steroid with Martel and Zenk for about 3 weeks.