Pro Wrestling Only

Titans of Wrestling #5

http://placetobenation.com/titans-of-wrest...o-october-1979/

artworks-000058588164-6odft0-t500x500.jp

James can't get a break from work, so Parv is joined by Kelly, Johnny and Pete to take on more WWF from 1979.

On the docket tonight:

08 INTERCONTINENTAL CHAMPION PAT PATTERSON PROMO WWF TV

09-24 BOB BACKLUND vs PAT PATTERSON WWF TITLE/CAGE MATCH MADISON SQUARE GARDEN

09-24 JAY STRONGBOW vs NIKOLAI VOLKOFF MADISON SQUARE GARDEN

10-20 BRUNO SAMMARTINO vs NIKOLAI VOLKOFF PHILADELPHIA SPECTRUM

10-22 VALIANTS vs IVAN PUTSKI/TITO SANTANA TAG TITLE MADISON SQUARE GARDEN

10-22 BOB BACKLUND vs SWEDE HANSON WWF TITLE MADISON SQUARE GARDEN

10-22 BRUNO SAMMARTINO vs GREG VALENTINE MADISON SQUARE GARDEN

10-22 DUSTY RHODES vs JIMMY VALIANT MADISON SQUARE GARDEN

10-22 PAT PATTERSON vs TED DIBIASE IC TITLE MADISON SQUARE GARDEN

In this week's show:

- More from 'the Mailbag' including WWF escape-the-cage rules, should Andre vs. Backlund have been a feud, other territories in 1979, angles on tv at this time, and more

- What happened to the North American title post-Pat Patterson?

- Johnny adds Nikolai Volkoff singing to his repertoire

- Bruno invents ECW and Chief Jay Strongbow wrestles in a shark cage

- Andy Kaufman in WWF in 1979!!!

- Bio for Swede Hanson

- 'Fanny' in the US and in the UK

The PWO-PTBN Podcast Network features great shows you can find right here at Place to Be Nation. By subscribing on iTunes or SoundCloud, you’ll have access to new episodes, bonus content, as well as a complete archive of: Where the Big Boys Play, Titans of Wrestling, Pro-Wrestling Super-Show, Good Will Wrestling, and Wrestling With the Past.

About halfway in.

As for why that brutally awful Backlund vs Hanson match is on the set (as well as a lot of other DUD matches) - Johnny pretty much nailed it.

The set is a cross-section of the era, so you get plenty of pure shit mixed in with the good stuff, and Kelly is correct I did try to put as many Backlund defenses on as possible so everyone can get a wide range of his work.

And if you guys think Hanson is terrible (and my god he is), wait until Bobo Brazil is unleashed on an upcoming set. Also Bugsy McGraw.

With that Andre-Backlund question - I wonder if it would have worked keeping Bob and Andre both as faces, and have one strongly hyped MSG match. For the finish maybe a few heels could come out and attack both guys with Andre and Bob cleaning house - it gets both guys out of getting pinned or taking a loss, and clearly establishes that both guys are friends and babyfaces. It would be fun if Backlund can dead lift Andre out of that arm keylock or whatever it is that he powers out of vs Hogan and other guys. Main problem would be the fans turning Backlund heel because I can't see them rooting against Andre in any shape or form.

Just checking results from Sports and Wrestling. He toured Japan for the rest of 79. Some interesting tag partnerships there. Six-man teams with Dusty and Volkoff (10/27/79), with Dusty and Patterson (10/28/79), and regular teams with Pedro Morales (!), Mr. Saito, Patterson, and Tiger Jeet Singh (!!). Was back in JCP by at least 1/2/80.

I love how Johnny puts over Don Muraco as a man who rips families asunder "He is a man whose family has spent time with me and we still can't agree on Don Muraco." :D

This is when you guys really shine as this was the weakest disc yet (Valentine/Bruno seems interesting) and this is definitely the most fun podcast going today.

• 2 weeks later...

Sucks that James couldn't make the show. You all have developed such great chemistry it just won't be the same if all five of you are not on the show. Plus this is the weakest youtube version so far. I liked the cage match and Patterson was wonderful in this. Them battling on top of the cage is great. Will and Loss did a really good podcast on the cage match/escape rules. I've felt like it was to the heel's advantage where all they had to do was escape cage to win title. So the face champion has to be like crap if I want to keep my title I'm going to have do the same.

Kaufman's appearance was great and he cut one of the best heel promos on the set. What a let down for Albano not being out there for the Valiants title change. They did talk up issues between them but they are still all heels so it felt like to me Albano didn't want to be around and hurt his heat as his team lost. I could see if one of them turned face so was just weird not having him around. With all the random bell ringing at the end I thought it would lead to a screw job/Dusty finish with the title switch being overturned. Swede match was awful. Way to stink it up in a big match. Parv explaining fanny in the UK was hilarious. Please, more mailbag!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

After listening to Johnny on a bunch of shows now, I finally pinpointed how I imagine him when he's talking. It's a mix of cadence, humor, being totally chill and grateful dead fandom (hence a more retro look). I don't want to ever see a real pic, it would ruin this for me.

Johnny Sorrow = Johnny Fever doing wrestling podcasts

Posted Image