Pro Wrestling Only

Certifiable Carry Jobs

JerryvonKramer

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don' know about that. He brought some of the best out of Bret Hart in WCW. Bret wasn't even having "great" matches with Curt back then...

Curt Hennig was downright horrible in 98, one of the worst worker in the company next to Brian Adams and Stevie Ray. Bret's WCW work is underrated. He's the one who gave Booker some decent matches, not the other way around. Bret had some actual very good matches with Luger the same year.

Booker made a decent impression for a few months when he was in the ring with Martel and especially Benoit, but he got worse and worse after his post-injury comeback in 1999. In 2000 Booker was mediocre at his very best and often actually quite the poor worker. Sloppy as hell, shitty timing, really annoying in a RVD way and 100% formulaic and predictable.

jdw, please do not kid yourself even for a second that the reason I can't stomach a discussion with you is because of your amazing powers of argumentation. Are you kidding me? It's because you're an insufferable and tedious prick.

I didn't say I had "amazing powers of argumentation". Pretty much everyone else here that you've disagreed with has pointed out how wrong your are.

On a different day, without you around, I probably would have gone to watch Rude vs. Warrior again and maybe found that yes, Warrior did more than I'd given him credit for.

Classic Jerry: looking for a reason to duck having to watch a match that you claimed was a carry job and were called on it. Outstanding.

It's a 16 minute match, Jerry. In all the time you spent trying to defend your original statement and throwing a hissy fit, you could have watched the thing.

I don' know about that. He brought some of the best out of Bret Hart in WCW. Bret wasn't even having "great" matches with Curt back then...

Curt Hennig was downright horrible in 98, one of the worst worker in the company next to Brian Adams and Stevie Ray. Bret's WCW work is underrated. He's the one who gave Booker some decent matches, not the other way around. Bret had some actual very good matches with Luger the same year.

Booker made a decent impression for a few months when he was in the ring with Martel and especially Benoit, but he got worse and worse after his post-injury comeback in 1999. In 2000 Booker was mediocre at his very best and often actually quite the poor worker. Sloppy as hell, shitty timing, really annoying in a RVD way and 100% formulaic and predictable.

Luger was pretty good in 98-99, no?

Luger was pretty good in 98-99, no?

In the ring ? He sure wasn't that much. The Bret matches were the best he had probably since the Arn Anderson matches in 1995. But really, it wasn't a way to say Luger was bad and Bret carried his ass like no one's business, as past his prime Luger is a much better worker than Booker anyway, it was just an exemple of really good Bret work in WCW.

As a character, Luger was great in late 99, early 00, and he was a trooper too. At one point he was almost saving the TV shows by himslef.

No way, that is probably Kerry's best performance that I have seen.

In what sense? I just watched it via youtube, and I'm at a loss for anything that Kerry does that Jumbo doesn't do better. I found Kerry's best stuff to be his reactions to Jumbo tearing apart the claw arm in the third fall, and Kerry pretty much shits on it by ignoring it moments after it happened. He throws punches and goes to the piledriver without the slightest hint that he was hurt at all. The early matwork, including Kerry countering Jumbo on the mat to get the stomach claw is pretty much all Jumbo, seeing as Kerry isn't known for his mat work.

I haven't watched Kerry-Jumbo in a while. My recollection is that Kerry was a pretty good "Sting" in the match, in that he did his stuff well and was competent in going with what Jumbo had up his sleeve. Stuff like the matwork... Kerry knew how he was suppose to work that stuff from the bottom or the top. He wasn't being asked to be The Destroyer there or Backlund, just work some basic stuff solid... which I thought he did. It was a pretty stark contrast to the title change with Flair a couple of days later.

It felt like a great performance from Jumbo, but it also felt like a good show of Kerry being able to do us stuff rather than just be dunder head. :)

It's a 16 minute match, Jerry. In all the time you spent trying to defend your original statement and throwing a hissy fit, you could have watched the thing.

Now John that's pretty rich to call JVK out on not revisiting the footage. Since you haven't revisited much footage in the last few years, Flair-Arn withstanding. If I was one of those guys who did pictures it would be pot calling kettle black. FYI I think Warrior held his own here, with a little help from

rude.

Now John that's pretty rich to call JVK out on not revisiting the footage. Since you haven't revisited much footage in the last few years, Flair-Arn withstanding. If I was one of those guys who did pictures it would be pot calling kettle black. FYI I think Warrior held his own here, with a little help from rude.

I can think of only two matches that I've been seriously called out to rewatch.

One was the Flair-Arn, which I did... and then sat on the write up because I don't think it gives anyone anything they wanted to see.

The other is a 60 minute match that I'd much rather watching in the context of the totality of 1993-95 AJPW rather than paratrooping into it as a solo match. That's probably upwards of 150 hours of stuff... so yeah, I'm sitting on it. Though I did download the link Ditch sent to me, and it's been sitting on my HD for several years.

Beyond those two, which matches are we talking about? :) Or is it just a general vibe that folks wished I would watch a Yearbook set and post a bunch of thoughts?