Pro Wrestling Only

Matches From 2011

Loss

Daniel Bryan vs The Miz (WWE Monday Night RAW 02/14/11)

The commentary was so awful that I couldn't get past it and focus on the match, although I'm not sure I missed much. Bryan wasn't terribly over with this crowd and the match was a lot of chinlocks. Why was this recommended?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

John Cena vs CM Punk (WWE 02/23/11)

I appreciate the birds eye perspective of the crowd reactions and thought this was interesting, but I also thought this exposed how subpar the execution is for both guys. Yes, they hit everything clean, but Punk gets such low elevation on his back body drops and they really come across like two guys going through a routine they've done a million times instead of two guys who are good athletes who are just reacting to each other in the moment. Nice layout with a hot crowd, but it's not executed in a very aggressive or violent way. It feels entirely rehearsed and regimented, which seems to be the story for a lot of 2011 WWE so far. Compare this to the usual 8mm/JIP arena footage in 1980s wrestling, which looks so much better from the upper level.

Jerry Lawler & Brian Christopher vs Bill & Jamie Dundee (03/02/11)

I thought this was a fun match with four guys who know what they're doing and can get heat and work a tight tag formula match. I hated all the stuff with the ref bump and the team members trying to count the fall, but that's a small blemish on an otherwise really fun viewing experience.

Jerry Lawler & Brian Christopher vs Bill & Jamie Dundee (03/02/11)

I thought this was a fun match with four guys who know what they're doing and can get heat and work a tight tag formula match. I hated all the stuff with the ref bump and the team members trying to count the fall, but that's a small blemish on an otherwise really fun viewing experience.

Random comment: Nick Dinsmore was on this show, too. He told me that backstage, Jamie was flipping out accusing everyone of stealing his meth. Turns out, he finally realized that he hadn't actually brought any meth with him.

Jerry Lawler & Dr. Tim Linder vs Bill Dundee & Dr. Brian McCarver (Nashville 03/04/11)

A fun match, of course. I'm not sure what the local tie-in is here, but this was lots of fun, with Lawler and Dundee leading two non-wrestler locals through a tag with a hot crowd. The woman who can't stop laughing gets old after a few minutes though.

That match is honestly one of my favorite matches of all time. There is something insanely corny yet endearing about it that I can't escape. It brings all such of hokey type things you see as fundraises and mixes in two of the best wrestlers of all time. Dr. McCarver also has the time of his life out there.

I have had nothing but time over the last few days, and I just can't bring myself to watch more 2011 wrestling. As good as quite a bit of it is, it all seems so throwaway. I'm not really seeing anything that feels even slightly historic or meaningful in the big picture, be it for good or bad reasons.

But the bigger issue is one that's a recurring theme. Most matches are laid out in a way that make sense, but the execution really seems like guys going through the motions instead of duking it out or fighting to win. It's the little things like facial expressions (or lack thereof) and the bumping style that are distracting for me. So much of it feels like dancing instead of worked athletic competition. It all feels so impenetrable and rehearsed. It doesn't seem instinctive at all. Togo vs Honda has been the huge glaring exception to that, but even the other stuff that I've really enjoyed has really seemed in a vacuum from the audience they are performing in front of, like they laid out something hours before the match and just stick to that with the hope that the crowd joins them, instead of having a general idea of what they want to do, feeling out the crowd and delivering a match that seems appropriate for the occasion. That's not even limited to one promotion, so it's not WWE bashing, although they are the biggest offender.

I'm going to try diving into this some more either later tonight or tomorrow, but my impression so far is that you have lots of guys who are good at memorizing spots, but not really good at working a match. If I can't get past that soon, I'm going to drop this and return to the 1980s thread.

It seems to me that you're watching too much stuff. There's really not enough good wrestling these days to have that many nominations so if you limited it to the very best stuff you may find matches that of merit. Hardcore fans tend to nominate matches on a weekly basis these days so you get these big lists of anything that's considered worth watching, but as someone who only has a passing interest in current wrestling I tend to cherry pick the best stuff and enjoy that. And most of that stuff is from long time pros who came through a different system and learnt to work a different way, so perhaps you'd enjoy that more.

I think you're focusing too much on the lower end/match of the week stuff. If you're having a problem with guys running though the motions with good execution then PWG & DG stuff isn't worth your time especially if you're watching something like the 97 Yearbook at the same time. You should jut pick a top 10 or 15 and watch those. The best week to week stuff can't compare to the 90s. Togo vs Honda was the best match from Japan in 2011 and for good reason. Others that stand out above the pack:

Cena vs. Punk from Money In The Bank & SummerSlam

Dean Ambrose vs. William Regal from NXT

Mark Henry vs. Daniel Bryan (Cage) from SmackDown

But the bigger issue is one that's a recurring theme. Most matches are laid out in a way that make sense, but the execution really seems like guys going through the motions instead of duking it out or fighting to win. It's the little things like facial expressions (or lack thereof) and the bumping style that are distracting for me. So much of it feels like dancing instead of worked athletic competition. It all feels so impenetrable and rehearsed. It doesn't seem instinctive at all.

This is pretty much exactly how I feel about modern day wrestling. I've struggled to put it into words and I think you have done a great job saying it. I feel like I see this all the time in WWE matches. And this isn't me bashing them but it's the only product I've really seen for last few years. It's not to say I don't enjoy a good match but "rehearsed" part of stuff can be quite distracting for me. There is lots of stuff like Orton hitting multiple clotheslines, ducking a guys clothesline and powerslaming him as the guys bounces back off the ropes. This isn't just Orton. Only giving an example. Feels like a good portion of roster is doing this type of stuff.