Pro Wrestling Only

Mike Atkins

Mr. Lacelle

I don't hear much talk about refs and when I do it tends to be Tommy Young, Nick Patrick or Earl Hebner. I have always had a soft spot for Atkins, when rewatching WCW from the early 90s, his stuff really stands out to me. The thing that makes me most pissy as a fan is referees doing stupid things within the context of the match. Looking away at an inopportune time, being out of position and the like. With Atkins he always seems to be the most believable of the refs. Opinions on Atkins or referees in general would be most welcome.

Atkins seems like a good choice if you are in the "dont notice him, then he is doing their job" camp. I can't think of any other referees who were more unnoticeable but still had a good many marquee matches, maybe early Mike Choida? Atkins was very good at doing his job and being serious. He didn't have much personality but that was kind of his gimmick and wasn't needed in a promotion that had Randy Anderson, Nick Patrick, and Tommy YOung to interact with managers.

NY and PA had lots of issues with refs forced on them by the commission in addition to the office refs. It says something that Billy Caputto of all people was the best of that lot. PA was even worse, they'd force ring announcers on. There are old Spectrum shows with three different ring announcers.

I went to a USA Pro show in 2001 (around the end of the NY commission really giving a shit about pro wrestling) where a commission ref appeared to decide to shoot hold up a title "in abeyance" (yes, I heard it used before the current WWE program) after a screwy finish.