Pro Wrestling Only

Titans of Wrestling #13

I don't think enough is made of the fact that Bruno, Backlund and Hogan were all active and working in the same promotion at the same time in 1980.

titans13.png

http://placetobenation.com/titans-of-wrest...april-may-1980/

James is back from the dead to join Parv, Johnny, Kelly and Pete in watching more 1980 greatness:

On the docket tonight:

04-21 RICKY STEAMBOAT/JAY YOUNGBLOOD vs BULLDOG BROWER/TOR KAMATA (Madison Square Garden)

04-21 PAT PATTERSON vs KEN PATERA - Intercontinental Title Match (Madison Square Garden)

04-21 BRUNO SAMMARTINO vs LARRY ZBYSZKO (Madison Square Garden)

05-03 PEDRO MORALES vs JOSE ESTRADA (Championship Wrestling)

05-10 BOB BACKLUND vs HULK HOGAN - WWF Title Match (Philadelphia Spectrum)

05-17 BOB BACKLUND vs EL OLYMPICO (All Star Wrestling)

05-17 KEN PATERA vs DOMINIC DENUCCI (Championship Wrestling)

05-80 Lou Albano, Fred Blassie, Bob Backlund, Ken Patera/Grand Wizard, Larry Zbyszko, Fred Blassie/Hulk Hogan Promos (WWF TV)

Highlights include:

- Bios for Ricky Steamboat, Jay Youngblood, Bulldog Brower, and Tor Kamata

- Performing big and playing to the cheap seats

- Random discussion of Mr. Perfect and modern WWE fans

- Desert Island Bruno vs. Desert Island Backlund

- Focus on Hogan's selling and offense

The PWO-PTBN Podcast Network features great shows you can find right here at Place to Be Nation. By subscribing on iTunes or SoundCloud, you’ll have access to new episodes, bonus content, as well as a complete archive of: Where the Big Boys Play, Titans of Wrestling, Pro-Wrestling Super-Show, Good Will Wrestling, and Wrestling With the Past.

Nothing personal Johnny but your discussion of HHH and Stephanie I don't think you really get the point. IF the end of that storyline was them getting theirs finally and Punk and Bryan rising to John Cena levels that would be the internet getting what they want

But that's not what's going to happen. IF they end up losing at the end of this storyline and that's a HUGE if, it will be at the hands of some combination of Vince, Shawn Michaels and John Cena. In other words the same old political BS we've had for a decade that's turned off millions of viewers.

At the end of the day an effective heel has to LOSE. Put over the new talent, walk away defeated and not continue to look like the strongest smartest man in history. HHH cannot do that, it's beyond him as a human being to look that weak. Same as Hogan really, and as big as Hogan was, he eventually became a cancer to every promotion that used him after 1998.

The rest of this show was fine. But the modern talk...........the whole reason I love PWO is because I can finally get away from modern internet wrestling discussion. Please don't bring it in, even if only for a few moments.

I don't think enough is made of the fact that Bruno, Backlund and Hogan were all active and working in the same promotion at the same time in 1980.

Posted Image

http://placetobenation.com/titans-of-wrest...april-may-1980/

James is back from the dead to join Parv, Johnny, Kelly and Pete in watching more 1980 greatness:

On the docket tonight:

04-21 RICKY STEAMBOAT/JAY YOUNGBLOOD vs BULLDOG BROWER/TOR KAMATA (Madison Square Garden)

04-21 PAT PATTERSON vs KEN PATERA - Intercontinental Title Match (Madison Square Garden)

04-21 BRUNO SAMMARTINO vs LARRY ZBYSZKO (Madison Square Garden)

05-03 PEDRO MORALES vs JOSE ESTRADA (Championship Wrestling)

05-10 BOB BACKLUND vs HULK HOGAN - WWF Title Match (Philadelphia Spectrum)

05-17 BOB BACKLUND vs EL OLYMPICO (All Star Wrestling)

05-17 KEN PATERA vs DOMINIC DENUCCI (Championship Wrestling)

05-80 Lou Albano, Fred Blassie, Bob Backlund, Ken Patera/Grand Wizard, Larry Zbyszko, Fred Blassie/Hulk Hogan Promos (WWF TV)

Highlights include:

- Bios for Ricky Steamboat, Jay Youngblood, Bulldog Brower, and Tor Kamata

- Performing big and playing to the cheap seats

- Random discussion of Mr. Perfect and modern WWE fans

- Desert Island Bruno vs. Desert Island Backlund

- Focus on Hogan's selling and offense

Welcome back James. And guest host Tone Loc does a funky cold impression of Johnny Sorrow!!!!!!

BTW, I'm enjoying the period specific song drops more so than the references in rap songs as the segment bridges.

I mean I enjoy a good pop culture reference in songs, but generally rappers just randomly drop names in such odd, non sequitor ways just for the rhyme/lyrical beat it can be annoying.

Example:

"Like Jimmy Superfly Snuka/I know how to hook a hooker..."

WHAT THE FUCK DOES THAT EVEN MEAN!? I mean is that an actual reference to Snuka actually murdering his girlfriend that night?

Eh, I guess nonsensical references, or stuff that is flat out not correct for the sake of matching things lyrically always get to me, like in Adam Sandler's Thanksgiving Song's line "I can't believe the Mets traded Darryl Strawberry!"

Yeah, I wish the Mets had gotten something for arguably the greatest homegrown offensive player in franchise history, instead of letting him walk away and sign with the Dodgers as a free agent! And no, I don't think Sandler knows the intricacies of free agents and draft picks that let the Mets have the Dodgers' first round pick in the next year's draft (that turned out to be Bobby Jones, who was a decent enough middle of the rotation type of starter for the Mets for many years)!

I didn't get around to mentioning this on the show, but Tor and Abby teamed in Japan quite often. I haven't watched this, but here is a match with them as a team:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stqBIUTzQQc

Also, look out for my amazing personal Kamata story on Titans #14.

Edit: Beat me to it, Muracofan.

Boy this was a jam-packed episode that I listened to over a number of commutes.

Match discussion was great as always but two of my favorite parts were Johnny and Parv agreeing about the current WWE and smarks being worked and also how everyone agrees you can't downgrade a match because of the booking/angle.

I don't know what it is but something about Johnny sharing the love with Parv and standing together on things warms my heart.

It was my least favourite because most of my drops were from credible rappers I actually listen to like GZA or Nas or whoever and that was from ICP. I included it as a little nod to their involvement with wrestling. It was the only drop from a song I didn't already own.

I don't mind the genre, its the way the references are so nonsensical and only done to fit lyrically that gets me all "what the fuck?" (Andre the Giant, Mr. Elephant Tusk...WHAT!? )

Granted I say this on the anniversary of the murder of someone who always loved doing strange and nonsensical lyrics in John Lennon, but for the most part (and I am NOT counting the "Dig It" jam fragment on Let It Be), things like that aren't cultural references but word plays, turn of phrases and whatnot. Basically to, as John would say about the accidental slip up on "You Got To Hide Your Love Away" when he said "...two foot small...", mess around with people (I'd assume especially when taking some rather potent drugs).

• 5 weeks later...

Long show! Kelly was the only one who made it out before the curfew. Was great to hear the whole band together even if only for one show. Oddjob had no lines in Goldfinger movie. Just grunted. Johnny you were close on his real name. It is not Harry Sack but Harold Sakata. I was very eager for the Tor Kamata bio and what a riot that he beat Baba in Japan. You guys covered it pretty well but that opening tag was such a great match. I don't check match listings so was crazy to see Steamboat in WWF in 80. His selling was great but I was watching this similar to James in that I could not help but keep my eyes off Brower and Kamata. I want to see Kamata versus Denucci! There's a dream match for me.

Was a great disc over with some excellent matches. Really four matches worth checking out. Thanks to James for providing the translation of Pedro's promo. Was such much better than what Morales was trying to put out in English at first. Backlund versus Olymicano was bizarre. Pete got a new mic set up. I felt like you guys were setting around a table chatting it up while Pete was off on his own table alone just harassing you guys. ;) That Patera/Denucci finish was off the charts. I had to rewind that one a few times to watch it again. It was an awesome move by Patera but equally hilarious with him upside down with his feet on the ropes and the referee missing the whole thing during the count. Another excellent, fun show to listen to that got me through my Friday at work.