Pro Wrestling Only

wrestle war 90

vannaboy

When he refused to do jobs for Lex Luger twice when it was the right time ? When he left WCW as their champion and showed up on WWF TV with the Big Gold belt ?

Flair agreed to put over Luger at the Bash as long as his contract was extended. Herd ended up getting mad at Flair during the back and forth over that and firing him. It was his decision to fire Flair without him dropping the title. Again, Flair is not blameless there, but the way you framed it isn't quite accurate either.

When he refused to do jobs for Lex Luger twice when it was the right time ? When he left WCW as their champion and showed up on WWF TV with the Big Gold belt ?

Flair agreed to put over Luger at the Bash as long as his contract was extended. Herd ended up getting mad at Flair during the back and forth over that and firing him. It was his decision to fire Flair without him dropping the title. Again, Flair is not blameless there, but the way you framed it isn't quite accurate either.

Ok, but Fair refused to drop the title to Luger in 90 already, right ? And although Herd was an ignorant asshole, it doesn't change the fact Flair used "jobbing to Luger" as a leverage to negociate a new contract, which is not exactly what I'd call "respecting the business". And it doesn't change the fact he showed up on the competition's TV with the belt. Flair was as carny as anyone and gets a pass because he's "Ric Flair". He's not exactly Shawn Michaels of Hulk Hogan either, of course, but still.

I've already requested that we drop the "respecting the business" talk. He refused to job to Luger in '90 because he promised Sting he would put him over when he returned and that no matter what kind of pressure was on him, the belt wasn't moving. As a result of this, he ended up in several blow-ups with Herd and was fired as head booker. Yes, he showed up on the competition's TV with the belt ... because he was entitled to have his deposit refunded and Herd refused to give him that back. You've portrayed it twice now as Flair just deciding to high-tail it with the WCW World title, when that's not quite what happened.

This was a case of Flair pulling every trump card he had to prolong his time on top -- my contract requires written notice at least 24 hours in advance of being asked to drop the title, I will give you the belt but I want my deposit back, I will put over Luger but not if you don't extend my contract, etc. So yes, he absolutely played the game and we can throw some criticism his way for that. But I think saying Flair had a problem with putting over Luger is framing it incorrectly.

Ric Flair was paranoid that his big money contracts and time working on top were over for good because he thought Jim Herd was out to ruin his career. The only leverage he had was dropping the title and putting over Luger. So he milked it for everything he could get out of it.

Of course, there's ego involved, but when Flair agreed to be the Black Scorpion as long as he got the belt back, I think that was Flair's way of maneuvering himself back to the belt. I think he felt like as long as he had the belt, they were limited in how much they could do to him. The moment he dropped it, they would see him as expendable.

Even if you look at the Bischoff days and Halloween Havoc '94, that's a common thread with Flair's apprehension about doing certain jobs. He's afraid he'll do it and then be put out to pasture.

Not to keep it going. But I feel Luger gets a bad Rep I think he did learn how to work a good match also think he would have been a better choice then Sting. But only as a heel. As a guy that just watched clash ten the role he was playing was great you could tell that's who he was. Hell look at the run he had with Race before he left. The only problem is who would he have worker with. Other then Sting they had no babyfaces.

Not to keep it going. But I feel Luger gets a bad Rep I think he did learn how to work a good match also think he would have been a better choice then Sting. But only as a heel. As a guy that just watched clash ten the role he was playing was great you could tell that's who he was. Hell look at the run he had with Race before he left. The only problem is who would he have worker with. Other then Sting they had no babyfaces.

Heel Luger vs Face Flair would have at been a fresh twist. The fans were dying to fully embrace Muta, so he could have been a viable opponent before he returned to Japan Pillman would have been a good opponent, certainly for a Clash show. Keeping Steve Williams around would have helped, he was originally going to work a US Title program with Luger. Windham could have returned as a face to avenge his loss at Chi Town Rumble.