Pro Wrestling Only

Titans of Wrestling #17

http://placetobenation.com/titans-of-wrest...gust-23rd-1980/

artworks-000067313644-5ptthn-t500x500.jp

Parv, Johnny, Pete and Kelly watch another WWF show from 1980. On the docket tonight:

08-16 HARLEY RACE vs RICK MCGRAW CHAMPIONSHIP WRESTLING

08-23 LARRY ZBYSZKO vs IVAN PUTSKI PHILADELPHIA SPECTRUM

08-23 ANDRE THE GIANT/PEDRO MORALES vs LOU ALBANO/AFA PHILADELPHIA SPECTRUM

08-23 KEN PATERA vs GORILLA MONSOON PHILADELPHIA SPECTRUM

Also on this show:

- Focus on commentators, including in-depth discussion of: Vince McMahon, Gorilla Monsoon, Lance Russell, Gordon Solie, Jesse Ventura, Jerry Lawler, Dutch Mantell, Bob Caudle, Joey Styles, David Crockett, Jim Ross, and many other commentators

- Bios for Rick McGraw and "humanitarian of the year" Kal Rudman

- Talking point 1: "Killing the piledriver"

- Talking point 2: Were more people watching wrestling before or after Vince's took over the WWF?

- Talking point 3: To what extent should babyfaces always stick to the rules?

The PWO-PTBN Podcast Network features great shows you can find right here at Place to Be Nation. By subscribing on iTunes or SoundCloud, you’ll have access to new episodes, bonus content, as well as a complete archive of: Where the Big Boys Play, Titans of Wrestling, Pro-Wrestling Super-Show, Good Will Wrestling, and Wrestling With the Past.

I currently have a 103 fever and are on a ton of meds. I'm so weak it took me 3.5 hours from the moment I woke up to get the strength to go to the bathroom and get a drink of water.

And I STILL finished this show just now. Because as awesome as the gang is during moments of health, you guys are even greater when someone is barely coherent. Particularly Johnny Sorrow.

That is a brilliant tease.

Some running thoughts halfway through #17:

1. More Pete retail stories please

2. Parv finally knows how to say segue

3. The announcer discussion was really well done and could have been a standalone episode. It seemed like most of you guys were on the same page. I agree with JOhnny that Lance is at his best when someone disappoints him.

4. Rick McGraw sounds like an interesting guy Kelly, great bio

5. I just knew Johnny would have a Harley impression

Looking forward to the back half with the Putski miracle match.

Finally had a chance to listen today on a long drive to Rochester....again great stuff! Wanted to mention that regarding Roddy Piper and his announcing stint in wwf, it was never mentioned about his time in Georgia with Gordon Solie...Gordon on Scotch and Piper on, well you know!

The other was the Frank Talent mention...I remember reading about his death a few years ago, so for anyone who wants to know see below from PWI Insider Mike Johnson...

Frank Talent, a well known member of the Pennsylvania State Athletic Commission going back decades who was a regular fixture at professional wrestling events, passed away today at the age of 74. We haven't heard a cause of death but Talent had been ill off and on in recent years.

Talent was quite a character and I mean that in the nicest sense of the word. The best way to describe him is that he was like that goofy but caring grandfatherly figure that everyone meets at some point in their life.

Since at least the 1980s, but likely longer, Talent attended the majority of professional wrestling events promoted in Philadelphia acting as a Commission Representative. He would be seen sitting ringside and would often get into the act, giving static to heels as Talent "got" what the business was supposed to be.

A few times during the 80s, Talent even ended up ring announcing WWF matches at the Spectrum. He was pretty awful at it and one had to wonder if he did it just because he knew he could get away with it, but that was Talent. I can distinctly remember him once introducing Roddy Piper and hugging him in the Spectrum while Piper had this look on his face wondering who the hell this was.

During the post-ECW independent explosion in the early part of this decade, Talent became a more well known personality in front of the fans, often making announcements pointing out celebrities who were attending the shows and issuing "official edicts" when shows were delayed, etc.

Talent was one of those eccentric characters you took for granted as always being around. He was seemingly everywhere at every show and if he wasn't, you took a mental note that it seemed strange he wasn't lurking at ringside.

I noted earlier that Talent "got" what the business was supposed to be and that was an important asset for shows he was covering. Often, Talent would give pre-show instructions to the different locker rooms at events, reminding them of what was expected by the State, but for the most part, as long as the performers weren't being too reckless, he would let things go. The lone exception would be that he wouldn't allow any spitting out of the ring towards the audience. But beyond that, within reason, he would allow things to go and allow the promotions to do their thing.

One thing that always amused me was that Talent seemingly had an endless list of friends that he would visit whenever there were shows. Whenever I was set up doing coverage for live shows on one of the stages or balconies of the ECW Arena, which have been converted into "VIP" areas in recent years, Talent would show up visiting different families he personally knew that were in those areas, bringing talent for visits and autographs. If Talent asked for a favor, the wrestlers were quick to do it, since he commanded respect in his position (although some would laugh about his goofier characteristics) and was pretty much well liked by the workers.

With Talent's passing, a question mark has to be raised as to how the Commission will oversee pro wrestling in PA going forward. Talent "got" what the business was supposed to be and enjoyed being around the wrestlers, so it allowed for a very cordial, loose atmosphere for promoters and those working those shows. Should someone who isn't as keen on the business end up overseeing things - or should someone looking to enforce the letter of the law (which technically states the matches are true competitions and self-mutilation to cause bleeding is illegal), there may be some interesting times ahead for the groups that still run the greater Pennsylvania area. Those questions will have to be answered another day.

This is fantastic info on Talent. Thanks for that Muracofan. It seems to me that Kal Rudman and Talent would have been going to the same bigwig parties and functions with local dignitaries.

We got another great bit of info over on KM about this show which I'll share here. About the Monsoon "retirement" match:

Surprised no one noticed that the crowd at the Philly Spectrum seemed to be in a stunned silence, with the exception of fan in the 2nd row who stood up and gave a

enthusiastic cheer & fist pump, when Patera pinned Monsoon in his retirement match. The buildup of Monsoon stating that he'd retire if Patera pinned him in that match was

heavily hyped via Monsoon's Philadelphia News Journal column and the local Philly promos. Being there live ( I was the one rising from my seat to cheer for the demise of Gorilla's career), it was almost like no one believed that Monsoon had lost the bout where he put his career on the line. Of course, from the perspective of watching the

bout via the old Prism footage with Dick Graham & Kal Rudman completely doing their usual nonsensical banter, the match really didn't receive the importance it deserves.

Monsoon even followed up in his newspaper column by stating that he would honor the contracts he had for upcoming matches and then retire. I used to get Joe Shedlock's

Wrestling Newsletter and saw that Monsoon did wrestle a handful of other times as a substitute for a no-showing wrestler in subsequent years. Up at the Allentown TV tapings, I asked Monsoon why he didn't keep his word and stay retired. He said when other headlining wrestler didn't show up what did I want him to do?

By the way, I COMPLETELY forgot during the discussion of commentators to talk about Bill Watts as a brilliant play by play guy.

I even had it in mind and the conversation took a turn and it slipped from my mind. I was kicking myself after the show because I wanted to talk about just how much Jim Ross had learned from Watts about how to put over stories and angles.

One final note on this episode and I find this fascinating:

Johnny can break out a Harley Race imitation with no thought but imitating Parv is absolutely Johnny Fever kryptonite. As you guys flailed away at trying to mimick him, I half expected a "A Dingo ate my baby!" to drop.

Man just wait til I totally get over my yearly winter laryngitis voice and the impressions get a million times better.

If you guys had a producer over your headset like McMahon he would have been screaming to change the f'n subject when Parv started talking about Dungeon and Dragons. Was like the air just went out of the Titans Studio when that happened with the silence from everyone else. :lol: Loved the conversation about play by play/color commentary and that it was probably because of Graham/Rudman. Ventura is the best color guy for me. I loved when he would give legitimate points to when he say his guys (heels) getting screwed over. Him running down Hogan is always a fun listen to in the later 80s. Heenan was loads of fun but could be reaching for a joke too much at times in more serious angles. I thought Solie and Heenan were a bad team as Solie didn't seem to know how to handle Bobby and no sold a lot of his stuff. Lawler was great in the mid 90s in WWF. Thought he was fine up until he left WWF in early 2001. Then Heyman comes in and the team with Ross feels more fresh and love the back and forth between the two of them. When Lawler returned he was now a good guy mostly and his commentary continued to get worse. He was terrible during that HHH/Booker T match at Wrestlemania. Even Ross seemed to get pissed off. How about in 93/94 when Lawler disappeared that they would have those guest hosts each week like Booger, Crush, Wippleman. Random guys who were not good in that role. Play by Play man is closer as I would have it between Ross and Russell. McMahon is top five for me though. He may not call the technical stuff/moves in match but he had his way of making things sound excited. I thought his solo commentary effort at Halftime Heat with Rock versus Mankind was great.

Larry Z and Putski was excellent. Loved the crowd in this one. Larry took his beating well. Funny to hear everyone apologizing to Johnny that Putski was not total dog shit and did have a good match in him. Captain Lou's lacking of bumping is really distracting to me especially when it comes against Andre. He does the goofy facials/walking away but he needs to be on his ass when Andre hits him. Maybe he could at least fall back into ropes if he doesn't want to take a back bump. But if he does not want to bump then he should not be in the ring so much against Andre in first place. Thought Patera/Moonsoon was a let down but yeah the commentary did not help here in getting over the retirement stipulation. The whole thing was undersold for a guy like Gorilla. I haven't watched Race/Backlund yet so on he docket before I listen to next show but I have noticed it spilling over to other threads here at PWO so looking forward to match and next Titans show.

• 1 month later...

Great episode! Maybe your best yet. Johnny's Harley impression was dead on. The discussion on the greatest announcers of all time was very interesting. The Titans podcast continues to both entertain and educate me as growing up in NYC, this look at pre-WWF expansion gives me a comprehensive overview of the territory before the expansion and before I became a fan, as I started watching wrestling in July of 81. Looking forward to listening once you get to Jimmy Snuka's arrival in the spring. Best old school podcast around.