Pro Wrestling Only

Wrestling Across America #1: Philadelphia with the Blue Meanie

goodhelmet

Will is joined by wrestling documentary maker John Philapavage (Barbed Wire City), Johnny Sorrow (from Titans of Wrestling) and the awesome Blue Meanie in this new podcast series. Meanie and the guys talk about memories as kids going to wrestling shows, The history of the WWF in the city, the NWA Great American Bash, the impact of ECW, the Attitude Era and the independent organizations that sprang up trying to fill the void of wrestling in the city. Three hours of Philadelphia memories!!!

http://placetobenation.com/wrestling-acros...he-blue-meanie/

Will is joined by wrestling documentary maker John Philapavage (Barbed Wire City), Johnny Sorrow (from Titans of Wrestling) and the awesome Blue Meanie in this new podcast series. Meanie and the guys talk about memories as kids going to wrestling shows, The history of the WWF in the city, the NWA Great American Bash, the impact of ECW, the Attitude Era and the independent organizations that sprang up trying to fill the void of wrestling in the city. Three hours of Philadelphia memories!!!

Great idea for a series of podcasts. What other cities are you planning on discussing?

Great idea for a series of podcasts. What other cities are you planning on discussing?

Memphis in 3 parts, San Fran, Detroit, San Antonio, Atlanta

Memphis in 3 parts, San Fran, Detroit, San Antonio, Atlanta

Tampa would be fun too if you can get a guest from the area. But really looking forward to these others to, especially Memphis!

All props to Johnny Sorrow for the idea. Props to Johnny P for knowing a shitload about cities we have discussed doing and props to Meanie for being fucking AWESOME!!!!

I'd love to do one for Wrestling Eye for the UK cities, but I really would struggle due to the size of the UK and really, yes area's have history, but not to the same extent as in the US.

My buddy Brent is doing Detroit with me. He grew up there and has some great stories including attending Mania 3 and the Ron Garvin title win. I tried to book the Steiners but they got all roid ragey on me.

I didn't make Mania 3 but I was at the SNME at the Joe that set Mania up that saw Andre headbutt Hogan out of a battle royal. I didn't attend the Garvin title change but I was at the Halloween Havoc in 95 when the Giant was tossed off the Cobo Roof, Flair turned on Sting, and the Giant came back and along with the Yeti humped the life out of Hulk Hogan in one of the most homoerotic moments in the history of pro wrestling. Sabu and 2 Cold Scorpio had a pretty sweet match on a June of 97 RAW that didn't feature either Bret Hart or Shawn Michaels because of whatever crap was going on between them at the time. There has been all kinds of great moments that have come through Detroit Hogan dropping the strap to Taker which I was at Survivor Series. The Hogan/Flair retirement match at I believe Havoc 94. A SummerSlam at the Palace in 93. Stone Cold driving the Zamboni to the ring at JLA. Mania 3 and the Mania from Ford Field which had the battle of the billionaires that saw Vince get his head shaved. I saw a killer Sabu/Cactus Jack match in Inkster in October of 94 that Meanie was on as Brian Rollins in a prelim at my first Indy match and Sabu match after hearing so much about him. Going to an Insane Championship Wrestling show and seeing a brawl out into the parking lot between Ric Matrix and Tex Monroe that saw them set a car on fire and a fire truck needed to be called to the scene. I'm probably forgetting a bunch of other Motor City goodness.

Detroit has a pretty sweet wrestling culture and I look forward to hearing it discussed on your show!