Pro Wrestling Only

My 665 favorite matches

Loss

Ladies and gentlemen, I have a new ***** match.

Ricky Steamboat & Jay Youngblood v Sgt Slaughter & Don Kernodle - Mid Atlantic 03/12/83

I know I said this last month with Slaughter/Sheik, but I think I'm going to go a step above it this time around, and say this is the best American match I've absolutely ever seen. Just unbelievable, and maybe the best blowoff to a feud I've ever seen. Everything was at stake here, as it was the titles against the livelihood of Steamboat and Youngblood as a team, inside a cage. The match is structured to near-perfection with all four doing the best work I've ever seen from them, especially the headlock stuff at the beginning and the AJPW-style partner saves in the final stretch. Lots of awesome bumping from the heels as well, with Slaughter doing the Snuka-style dive off the cage, which looked far more impressive here as a highspot. I want to do this match full justice sometime, and I'm not at the moment, so I will do a full review in the near future, just so you guys understand what you need to see.

Speaking of the list, I'm not adding this in for now, because I looked over my list and want to reorganize things. There are some matches I think I've been high talking about, because I either didn't give them the credit they deserved initially or I gave them way too much credit. So here's a list of revised snowflakes in chronological order. I'm going to re-do the list later, and also do a year-by-year view. When I say "later" on redoing the list, I mean far later, just because I'm finding that my views are changing so quickly on what I'm seeing that I want to allow myself more footage viewing before committing to saying certain matches are better than others. So the first post in this thread is now a chronological look at things with revised star ratings and such. I'm eventually going to write some more stuff on most of these as well.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jerry Lawler v Bill Dundee - Memphis 12/30/85

This isn't the best match I've ever seen. However, this is the best heel performance I've ever seen in my life. Dundee is beyond spectacular -- he's on another planet from any heel ever. Notice how this match features some pretty dangerous-seeming bumps, but they're used to get heat and advance the match at hand, not just used for show. When Lawler takes the bump in the cheap seats, you'd think he had died from the crowd reaction, and I was actually concerned for him. Dundee toying with Lawler and moving in and out when he can is pretty breathtaking in its simplicity. When Lawler comes back bloodied and pissed from nowhere, it's an awesome visual and you find yourself rooting for him to win at any costs. His opponent doesn't care about the rules, so why should he? I don't think, in the future, I can take the opinion of anyone who watches wrestling seriously if they've never seen this match. This is the kind of match that will redefine what good and bad is in your mind, that will make you question everything you think you might know about what good wrestling is, because you're seeing thinking man's work on a level you've never quite seen before. This is the best match based around an injury I've ever seen by far. Don't get me wrong, Lawler is awesome here, but Dundee -- and this is a strong statement -- outperforms the best performances I've ever seen from any American heel. Destroyer's performance against Baba is the only better one I've come across anywhere in the world -- ever -- actually. Yes, a match that features nothing but punches and some brawling on the outside can be this amazing.

****3/4

Bill Dundee & Frank Boyles v Wayne Farris & Larry Latham - Memphis, early 80s

This is on the Memphis TV Masters Vol 3 disc for anyone following along. It's always weird seeing Honky Tonk Man in his early days, where he resembles Brian Lee or a Beverly Brother far more than he does his more famous gimmick. Anyway, this match reminds me greatly of Slaughter/Daniels v Adonis/Murdoch from 07/23/84 in MSG, with Dundee doing all the great spots for his team and his partner sticking to the basics. It worked there and it works here, but I think this match is slightly better only for having a legit FIP segment where the MSG match really didn't. Dundee is awesome on the apron as well, and there are some really terrific teases before the big babyface comeback finally happens. Post-match brawl is pretty spirited too. I miss quality heel beatdowns.

***1/2

• 3 weeks later...

Ric Flair v Chris Adams - WCCW 01/11/85

Everything worked against this match. Both were heels, leaving the fans unsure who to back. Booking was lousy, with Flair being portrayed as a bad champ and Adams as a non-worthy challenger. There's even some sloppiness at the end when they try to speed things up down the final stretch. But somehow, they manage to make this dynamic not only work, but they do a really good job with it. Total non-formula Flair, for those of you looking for more atypical Nature Boy. Nice matwork, and Flair decides to go with the tide instead of fighting it, which was a smart choice. Adams is the top heel in the promotion at this point, so Flair plays the babyface and lets Adams be the one to use the ropes for leverage and rely on outside interference. This isn't a great match, because of everything working against it, but it's a terrific example of workers determined not to let a match fall to pieces and doing a strong job of salvaging it.

***1/4

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Kerry/Flair from 08/15/82 is the best match I've ever seen take place in World Class, and one of Flair's top ten matches ever. Probably Kerry's third best behind another match with Flair I like just a *little* bit more and the famous Jumbo match. I would have ranked this even higher with better booking. The first fall ends in controversial fashion, which is fine because it added nicely to the drama of the match and it's terrific for what it's trying to accomplish. The work in the second fall is great, especially when Flair kicks out of the clawhold pin attempt the first time, which does a lot for the heat and creates more suspense when Kerry finally does get the pin. The third fall finishes too quickly after the second fall and they end in a DDQ, which is kind of a ripoff considering that Kerry's NWA World title chase was the story of the year in World Class. We'd see that journey finalized on Christmas night, and the angle and historic value there are far superior, but this is the much better match, and it's well worth going out of your way to find and see. Aside from the booking, the only thing keeping it from reaching ***** was that Flair kept switching legs - to a point where the clueless Marc Lowrance picked up on it and comedically tried to cover for it - when he was building to the figure four. Runs about 35 minutes and could have easily gone another 20.

I've always loved this match. Flair really controls this match really well even though he messes up working the legs at different points in the match. I always felt Kerry was his 3rd or 4th best opponent for Flair. Kerry was ripped to shreds(so people viewed him as tough) plus he was really athletic. He throws a great standing drop kick. I agree with Loss on the booking aspect of the match. I also agree with the 4 1/4 * . Good review by the way.

• 1 month later...

Thanks! I try to keep it ongoing and edit it constantly. When I've seen everything once that I have a desire to see, I plan on revisiting some stuff and seeing how watching more wrestling has changed my opinions. Almost all of these are first time viewing responses. Things may get better or worse with repeated viewings.

• 1 month later...

I've been asked to update the thread whenever I add something new. So I'll start doing that. I'll eventually be reviewing all of this. Right now, I'm just trying to get a first time viewing for as much wrestling as possible, so I'll just be posting whatever I added here.

Added:

Angel Azteca, El Dandy & El Texano v Fuerza Guerrera, Pierroth Jr. & Jerry Estrada (CMLL 03/04) ****1/2 (#2 MOTY for 1990)

Added:

Chigusa Nagayo v Jumbo Hori (AJW, July 1985) ***1/4

Bull Nakano & Dynamite Jack v Jumping Bomb Angels (AJW, September 1988) ***1/2

Lioness Asuka v Yumi Ogura (AJW, September 1988) ***1/2

Chigusa Nagayo, Toshiyo Yamada & Mika Komatsu v Kumiko Iwamoto, Dynamite King & Dynamite Queen (AJW, September 1988) ***1/2

Lioness Asuka v Toshiyo Yamada (AJW, September 1988) ***1/4

Added:

Brazo de Oro & Brazo de Plata v Gran Hamada & Perro Aguayo (Hamada's UWF 03/10/91) ****

El Signo & Black Power v Silver King & El Texano (Hamada's UWF 03/10/91) ***3/4

Brazo de Oro & Brazo de Plata v Gran Hamada & Perro Aguayo (Hamada's UWF 03/10/91) ***1/2

Villano III & Villano IV v El Brazo & Super Brazo (Hamada's UWF 03/10/91) ***1/2

Added:

Akira Maeda & Osamu Kido v Antonio Inoki & Yoshiaki Fujiwara (NJPW 12/10/86) ***1/2

Akira Maeda & Nobuhiko Takada v Yoshiaki Fujiwara & Kazuo Yamazaki (NJPW 05/25/87) ****

Riki Choshu v Yoshiaki Fujiwara (NJPW 06/02/87) ***3/4

Riki Choshu, Super Strong Machine & Kuniaki Kobayashi v Nobuhiko Takada, Osamu Kido & Yoshiaki Fujiwara (NJPW 06/12/87) ****

Nobuhiko Takada v Kuniaki Kobayashi (NJPW 08/20/87) ***3/4

My bad, they had 2 matches on the same day in 2 different consecutive years. What are the chances of that? In any case, I need to see the 83' one pretty badly.

Yeah, they were two separate matches. The '83 one is great as well, but a little harder to find in such great quality, and only 40 minutes of the 60-minute draw exists.

Added:

Nobuhiko Takada v The Cobra (NJPW 08/17/86) ****1/4

Nobuhiko Takada & Akira Maeda v Keiji Muto & Shiro Koshinaka (NJPW 03/20/87) ***1/2

Nobuhiko Takada & Akira Maeda v Keiji Muto & Shiro Koshinaka (NJPW 03/26/87) ****1/4

Nobuhiko Takada v Hiroshi Hase (NJPW 03/11/88) ****3/4