Pro Wrestling Only

My 665 favorite matches

Loss

Guest Josh

Added:

Nobuhiko Takada v The Cobra (NJPW 08/17/86) ****1/4

Nobuhiko Takada & Akira Maeda v Keiji Muto & Shiro Koshinaka (NJPW 03/20/87) ***1/2

Nobuhiko Takada & Akira Maeda v Keiji Muto & Shiro Koshinaka (NJPW 03/26/87) ****1/4

Nobuhiko Takada v Hiroshi Hase (NJPW 03/11/88) ****3/4

I <3 all of these, too. The tags are also really cool for BEARDED~! early Muto. Did you get the NJPW vs. UWF I/II commercial sets?

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Added:

Nobuhiko Takada v The Cobra (NJPW 08/17/86) ****1/4

Nobuhiko Takada & Akira Maeda v Keiji Muto & Shiro Koshinaka (NJPW 03/20/87) ***1/2

Nobuhiko Takada & Akira Maeda v Keiji Muto & Shiro Koshinaka (NJPW 03/26/87) ****1/4

Nobuhiko Takada v Hiroshi Hase (NJPW 03/11/88) ****3/4

I
Yes I did. A lot of bad stuff has soured me on Muto, and I don't love him as much as I used to, but I was at least able to remember when I was a huge fan of his watching these matches. I think he was the least worker in the tags (I prefer saying that to worst in this case), but he was still great. All four of them were here.

Added:

Kyoko Inoue v Shinobu Kandori (AJW 08/25/93) ***1/2

Kaoru Ito & Mariko Yoshida v Tomoko Watanabe & Kumiko Maekawa (AJW 08/30/95) ***

Akira Hokuto v Mima Shimoda (AJW 08/30/95) ***1/2

Aja Kong v Dynamite Kansai (AJW 08/30/95) ****1/2

Manami Toyota & Sakie Hasegawa v Kyoko Inoue & Takako Inoue (AJW 08/30/95) ****1/4

• 1 month later...

Added:

Jerry Lawler v Harley Race (CWA 1977) *****

Jerry Lawler v Bill Dundee (CWA 08/29/77) ****1/4

Jerry Lawler & Dutch Mantel v Bill Dundee & Buddy Landell (CWA 03/22/86) ****1/2

Barry Windham v Tully Blanchard (NWA 01/23/88) ****

Barry Windham v Eddie Gilbert (NWA 01/14/89) ***3/4

Ric Flair & Barry Windham v Ricky Steamboat & Eddie Gilbert (NWA 01/21/89) ****

Midnight Express v Original Midnight Express (NWA 01/22/89) ***1/2

Ric Flair & Barry Windham v Sting & Michael Hayes (NWA 02/12/89) ***1/4

Sting v Mike Rotunda (NWA 03/31/89) ****

• 2 weeks later...
Guest DylanWaco

Jerry Lawler & Dutch Mantel v Bill Dundee & Buddy Landell (CWA 03/22/86) ****1/2

I'd really love to see a review of this.

I THINK I have this in really shitty VQ somewhere but I'm not entirely sure.

#1 - Mitsuharu Misawa, Toshiaki Kawada & Kenta Kobashi v Jumbo Tsuruta, Akira Taue & Masa Fuchi (AJPW, 04/20) ****3/4

I'd love to rank this really highly, but unfortunately it's hard to when it's so clipped. My version starts on the start of the decimation of Kobashi's leg, so it's JIP pretty far through. What's after it is great, if not quite as great as the same tag with Kawada replaced by Kikuchi on 21/10/91. But the 20/04 tag has great selling by Kobashi, a molten crowd, as you'd expect the roles are perfectly defined. But still around ***3/4 for me.

#13 - Vader v Sting (WCW, 12/28 - King of Cable tournament final) ****

Unusual but I'd rate this higher than you. I think it's better than the clash match, a lot tighter and they fit a lot more in, with some great moments like Vader just pummeling Sting around the ring. The Bash was first, but this built on it and they did an even better job.

#3 - 03/30/03 - Steve Austin v The Rock (WWE) ***1/2

Watched recently. The main thing it has going for it is the awesome story, especially if you know the background of it being Austin's last match. Unfortunately, the first few minutes aren't good at all. They get through on their charisma, but the actual action isn't that good. The leg work by Rock makes sense and works well, and the finish is decent enough, only about *** at the most though for me.

#8 - 06/12/04 - CM Punk v Samoa Joe (ROH) ****

#15 - 02/15/04 - Eddy Guerrero v Brock Lesnar (WWE) ***1/4

That's really suprising. Both matches are really overrated, but I don't like Punk/Joe I at all, and I like Eddie/Lesnar quite a bit.

#1 - 04/02/06 - Edge v Mick Foley (WWE, No Holds Barred) ***3/4

Thought it was a bit similar to the Orton match myself, in that stuff like Edge's thumbtack bump didn't have the great impact it should have. Finish was brilliant, match was just good.

My current MOTY is Dragon/Shelley from Arena Warfare, though I'm getting 7 new ROH shows in from this year which will likely change it. Also haven't seen any Puro this year apart from Marafuji/Kobashi which on a second viewing isn't nearly as good. Dragon/Shelley is real entertaining until Dragon stops his leg work, and then it goes average for a while, until they pick it up for the stretch. First 15 minutes are good enough to keep it around ***1/2 stars and my MOTY so far.

Guest DylanWaco

Added:

Ric Flair v Barry Windham (CWF 02/24/83) ***1/2

Harley Race v Barry Windham (CWF 07/04/83) ****1/4

Barry Windham v Ron Bass (CWF 1984) ****

I thought I was only person who even remembered the Ron Bass/Windham stuff. I like Ron Bass more than most actually, as I thought he was pretty good and my understanding is most people think he sucked. Windham and Jaggers had some fun stuff from 83 also.

• 2 weeks later...

I will state this on the record. I mark out for Will's comps. I enjoy Loss match ratings.

NO doubt you are my #1 customer although you have some guys coming in real close :)

Sawyer will be completed this week. I'll send it to you free with the Steamboat comp. You will also be happy to know that Discs 1-5 of Steamboat are complete... and we haven't even left Mid Atlantic yet!

I thought I was only person who even remembered the Ron Bass/Windham stuff.

Actually, this match has been mentioned at DVDVR over the last few months as well as at Crazy Max.

I actually liked the Flair-Windham dynamic more than Race-Windham even for such short TV matches. To each his own I guess :)

I will state this on the record. I mark out for Will's comps. I enjoy Loss match ratings.

NO doubt you are my #1 customer although you have some guys coming in real close :)

Sawyer will be completed this week. I'll send it to you free with the Steamboat comp. You will also be happy to know that Discs 1-5 of Steamboat are complete... and we haven't even left Mid Atlantic yet!

I actually liked the Flair-Windham dynamic more than Race-Windham even for such short TV matches. To each his own I guess :)

That will be awesome thanks a lot. I'm really looking forward to that Steamboat comp. He is my favorite guy to watch. I'm not saying he's the best, but I enjoy watching him the most. Sawyer really was just a fun worker to watch.

I'm going to agree with Loss, I enjoyed the Windham/Race match the best. I'd rate it 4*, followed by Bass at 3 1/2*, with Windham and Flair bringing up the rear at 3*.

The thing with your comps is I constantly change my mind which is my favorite. First I thought it was Tully's. Then I got your Lawler one and thought you wouldn't be able to top it. But you did with Dibiase in Mid-South. Then you follow and top that with that killer Windham comp. Only to trump it with Gordy's comp. Then you also have an incredible Murdock comp that is amazing. So my official ranking is

1.Gordy

2.Windham

3.Dibiase

4. Lawler

5. Murdock

6. Rude

7.Tully

8. Arn.

9.Garvin

10.TA

11.Armstrong

This of course could all change depending on my mood. The comps are that entertaining.

Well, the 3 disc comps have a disadvantage of covering less ground and just being "samplers". I originally designed the first 4 to be distributed for the smarkschoice poll but got more love for them at DVDVR and CM so I then started focusing on more complete comps.

I really don't like rating them because someone might get the impression that since Rude is the "7th best" comp that it is inferior to something like Dibiase which was designed from a completely different mindset.

I totally agree with you. Each comp has a different feel. With the Rude comp I've said it before and I'll say it again it's really cool beause you get to see the evolution of Rude as a worker. To me the Rude comp is actually the coolest of the bunch for that reason. Their would be a different ranking for each comp. based on the qualifications each one represents. Each comp is so different that is what makes them cool. With Rude you see an evolution of a worker,with Garvin's you have his best matches,with Murdock's you see how diverse of a worker he is, with Windham's you get a career perspective with incredible matches and see he was a natural, with Dibiase you see how important he is to a promotion, with Lawler you see a master at work. Each of the comps are neat because of how different they are.

• 2 weeks later...