Pro Wrestling Only

US 00s nominations

Loss

Use this thread to nominate matches you've seen that you think are good that would fit in this category. We'll keep this and all other topics open for the remainder of the year so you can add matches anytime you come across something you see that you like.

Guest Hunter's Torn Quad

Dean Malenko v Scott 2 Hotty - WWF Backlash 2000 (I don't think this match gets the kind of praise it deserves)

Kurt Angle v The Rock - WWF No Mercy 2000

The Hardy Boyz v The Dudleys v Edge and Christian - WWF Summerslam 2000

The Hardy Boyz v The Dudleys v Edge and Christian - WWF Wrestlemania X7

Kurt Angle v Edge - WWE Backlash 2002

Kurt Angle v Edge - WWE Judgment Day 2002

Brock Lesnar v Kurt Angle - WWE Wrestlemania XIX

Charlie Haas and Shelton Benjamin v Rey Mysterio and Kidman - Backlash 2003

I really liked Eddie Guerrero Vs. Brock Lesnar from No Way Out '04.

Triple H Vs. Chris Benoit Vs. Shawn Michaels from Wrestlemania XX was good too.

Uh, how about that Raw Money in the Bank match between Shelton and HBK? I remember the finish being really good but my memory of the match is foggy.

Guest Hunter's Torn Quad

Eddie v Brock from No Way Out is like the WM XX main event for me, in that as great as it was when watched live, it loses something on repeat viewing. However, it holds up better than the three-way, because it was a better match, even without the drama of watching it live.

Benjamin v Shawn was great live, though I don't think I'd have given it the ****1/4 that Meltzer did. I haven't seen it since though, so I can't say if it will hold up.

Guest Alfdogg

HHH vs Cactus Jack, Royal Rumble 2000

HHH vs Cactus Jack, No Way Out 2000

HHH vs Chris Jericho, Fully Loaded 2000

Chris Benoit vs Chris Jericho, SummerSlam 2000

Chris Benoit vs Chris Jericho, Royal Rumble 2001

Kurt Angle vs Shane McMahon, King of the Ring 2001

Kurt Angle vs Steve Austin, SummerSlam 2001

Chris Jericho vs The Rock, Royal Rumble 2002

Kurt Angle/Chris Benoit vs Edge/Rey Misterio Jr., No Mercy 2002

Kurt Angle vs Chris Benoit, Royal Rumble 2003

Kurt Angle vs Eddie Guerrero, WrestleMania XX

Kurt Angle vs Shawn Michaels, WrestleMania XXI

Guest Benjie

Benjamin v Shawn was great live, though I don't think I'd have given it the ****1/4 that Meltzer did. I haven't seen it since though, so I can't say if it will hold up.

I wouldn't give it ****1/4 like Meltz did, but the match holds up very well and is easily one of the best this year. I loved the story of Michaels not being able to handle Benjamin for an extended amount of time. They were great at making sure the match went back and forth, but not to the extent where I couldn't understand the story they were trying to perform. It wa easily both wrestlers' best performance this year. Michaels put Benjamin over more than Hunter did last year, and Benjamin won that match.

As for US matches I'd like to nominate...

Benoit/Hunter/Malenko/Saturn/Waltman vs. Foley/Lawler/Rikishi/Rock/Taylor (WWF - RAW ? 4/2/00)

Rock vs. Chris Benoit (WWF - Fully Loaded ? 23/7/00)

Royal Rumble Match (WWF ? Royal Rumble ? 21/1/01)

Kurt Angle vs. Rock, (WWF ? No Way Out ? 25/2/01)

Steve Austin/Triple H vs. Chris Benoit/Chris Jericho (WWF ? RAW 21/5/01)

Steve Austin vs. Chris Benoit (WWF ? SmackDown! ? 31/5/01)

Chris Jericho/Rock vs. Kurt Angle/Steve Austin (WWF ? SmackDown! ? 15/11/01)

Chris Benoit vs. Rey Mysterio (WWF ? SmackDown! - 3/10/02)

Kurt Angle/Chris Benoit vs. Chavo Guerrero/Eddie Guerrero (WWF ? SmackDown! -17/10/02)

Chris Benoit vs. Eddie Guerrero vs. Edge vs. Kurt Angle, (WWF ? SmackDown! - 5/12/02)

Brock Lesnar vs. Chris Benoit (WWF ? SmackDown! ? 4/12/03)

Chris Benoit vs. Shawn Michaels (WWF ? RAW ? 3/5/04)

Eddie Guerrero vs. Kurt Angle (WWF ? SmackDown! ? 2/9/04)

Eddie Guerrero vs. Kurt Angle (WWF ? SmackDown! ? 14/4/04)

Shawn Michaels vs. Shelton Benjamin (WWF ? RAW ? 2/5/05)

Eddie Guerrero vs. Rey Mysterio (WWF ? SmackDown! ? 23/6/05)

Guest DylanWaco

I'm not really that high on him, but A.J. Styles has had four ppv matches this year that ought to at least be seen and thought about in regards to this list (v. Abyss in a Cage, v. Jarrett, v. Waltman, v. Samoa Joe).

Also Waltman v. Lynn and Joe v. Sabin were two of the better matches I've seen this year.

If no one has nominated Eddy v. RVD Ladder Match or the Christian/Jericho v. BookDust No Mercy match I have now :)

Glad you nominated Jerichristian v Bookerdust from NM '02, Dylan. I think it's better than the other, more lauded tag that happened that night.

Speaking of that series of matches ...

Booker T & Goldust v Chris Jericho & Christian (WWF RAW 12/23/02)

Paul London v. Bryan Danielson (The Epic Encounter)

-- I don't know if it would break my Top 20 but it is better than a huge chunk of the stuff listed so far.

Low Ki v. American Dragon v. Chris Daniels (Era of Honor Begins)

-- Again, much much better than the WM20 main event and something that ought to be seen if nothing else, so you can make your own judgment.

Guest DylanWaco

Glad you nominated Jerichristian v Bookerdust from NM '02, Dylan. I think it's better than the other, more lauded tag that happened that night.

Speaking of that series of matches ...

Booker T & Goldust v Chris Jericho & Christian (WWF RAW 12/23/02)

The BookDust v. Blondes series was way better than anything that happened on SD in the tag ranks. That Raw match was actualy better than the No Mercy match on first viewing, but I haven't seen it since.

Guest Cuban_Linx

12/26/04 is the date for Joe/Aries.

While we're on ROH, a few nominations:

Samoa Joe vs Bryan Danielson (ROH Midnight Express Reunion, 10/2/04)

Jushin Liger/Samoa Joe vs Bryan Danielson/Low Ki (ROH Weekend Of Thunder Night Two, 11/6/04)

Samoa Joe vs CM Punk (ROH All Star Extravaganza II, 12/4/04)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
Guest TheNewAge

Not sure if it's too late to get involved with this but, regardless, here are a few matches I feel deserve recognition.

Chris Benoit Vs. Edge (WWE Raw; April 4th, 2005)

Very smartly worked, really good match. Edge has a good showing, just destroying Benoit's arm, and Benoit's selling is just fantastic. Probably Raw MOTY for me.

Kurt Angle Vs. Rey Mysterio (WWE SmackDown!; February 10th, 2005)

This is really good, and I think I would call it the best match these two have had together. Only two SD matches have been better (Eddie's two singles matches against these two). Goes long, which was a nice change, seeing as these two usually get bumped for time. Very crisp match.

Rock Vs. Hulk Hogan (WrestleMania 18)

I actually had this as my MOTY for 02 at one point and, though my opinion has changed on that, it's still an easy top ten WWE, probably top five. Very, very good, and it annoys me so much when people call this a bad match with great heat or whatever. Great story with the young lion surpassing his elder, great dramatics, loads of little things that just make it awesome. Needs to be included.

Kurt Angle Vs. Chris Benoit (WWE SmackDown!; February 6th, 2003)

This is INTENSE! and a completely different match to the one they had at the Rumble. I love this, and I think only the Benoit/Lesnar match at the end of the year is a better SD match. A few surprises with Angle busting out some surprising stuff like the turnbuckle powerbomb (which would get used against HIM later in the year by Cena). Good stuff.

Edge and Christian Vs. Matt and Jeff Hardy (No Way Out 2000)

I think this might actually be the best match on the show, and the best match to come from the whole Hardy/E and C rivalry. Very good match that doesn't get the credit it deserves.

Steve Austin Vs. Chris Benoit (WWF Raw; November 20th, 2000)

Strong match that's probably the TV MOTY for 00. Only goes about 7 minutes, but really good.

Val Venis and Lance Storm Vs. Bubba and D-Von Dudley (WWE Heat; March 7th, 2004)

This is one of the best tag matches the WWE has had in years. It's also on the WMXX DVD for those who didn't know. Best Dudley match for a few years, too.

Randy Orton Vs. Val Venis (WWE Heat; January 11th, 2004)

Good match with Orton giving his best performance to that point. They would do better later, however.

Randy Orton Vs. Val Venis (WWE Heat; May 2nd, 2004)

Really good match, one of the best free TV matches of the year for me. Some really nice leg work by Val, and the ending is superb.

Rock Vs. Rikishi (WWF Survivor Series 2000)

Rock carries 'Kish to, maybe, the best match of his life. Rock is brilliant here.

Rock Vs. Chris Jericho (WWF Vengeance 2001)

I see NM01 and RR01 listed, but not this. Needs to be included, especially if you want to appreciate those matches that little bit more. Some really great little things here, with the table spot playing off No Mercy and a fantastic nearfall playing off the finish of their Raw title switch match.

Kurt Angle Vs. Undertaker (WWE SmackDown!; September 4th, 2003)

Eddie Guerrero Vs. Rey Mysterio (WWE SmackDown!; March 18th, 2004)

Eddie Guerrero Vs. Big Show (WWE SmackDown!; April 15th, 2004)

Rey Mysterio Vs. Chavo Guerrero (WWE Great American Bash 2004)

Eddie Guerrero Vs. JBL (WWE Great American Bash 2004)

JBL Vs. Eddie Guerrero (WWE SmackDown!; July 15th, 2004)

Enough has been said about these matches. I'm just shocked to see they haven't been nominated yet.

Eddie Guerrero Vs. Kurt Angle (WWE SummerSlam 2004)

One of the most underrated matches of 04, as it got pretty negative reviews at the time, outside of Meltzer. This is really good, and another smartly worked bout. I've a feeling it could have been better if Angle had allowed Eddie to do his thing more. Finisher burning a little at the end, but the rest is real good.

Chris Benoit Vs. Kane (WWE Bad Blood 2004)

Best ever Kane match, and this match would be needed if you wanted to appreciate the Raw match that WP pimped. I, personally, think this is the better match, but he would swear til the ends of the Earth that the Raw match is. They do a great job here, better then they've ever done, really, in making Kane look like a threat, and Benoit is made to look even better, realising he's not going to keep Kane down with the crossface, and then outsmarting him. Good stuff.

Randy Orton Vs. Mick Foley (WWE Backlash 2004)

Usual Foley story here, but it always works, so hey. A coming-of-age for Orton, as he proves he can handle the environment and play with the big boys. Really good, about ***1/4 - 1/2 and, as far as I'm concerned, should be a definite inclusion.

Rey Mysterio Vs. Chavo Guerrero (WWE No Way Out 2004)

I'm not sure on this one. It's a good match, about ***, but it's probably lower end stuff. However, it's better than a decent bit listed and, like I said, it IS a good match. A little sloppy at times.

Royal Rumble Match (WWE Royal Rumble 2004)

I wasn't going to mention this, but I saw another Rumble mentioned, so I thought I'd bring up, what I consider to be, at least, the second best rumble. Never slows down and some great storytelling with Benoit eliminating all of the guys Heyman had sent after him and, of course, the ending, with Benoit doing what six guys couldn't do.

Chris Benoit Vs. Chris Jericho (WWF Backlash 2000)

Chris Benoit Vs. Chris Jericho (WWF Judgment Day 2000)

Chris Benoit Vs. Undertaker (WWF Rebellion 2001)

Might need someone to check on this match, because I haven't seen it in a long time. I do remember absolutely LOVING this though, and thinking it was one of Taker's best ever matches, as he really showed a lot of weakness in it, and gave Benoit a lot.

Chris Jericho Vs. Chris Benoit Vs. Eddie Guerrero Vs. X-Pac (WWF No Way Out 2001)

A good, ***ish match that deserves a look.

Kurt Angle Vs. Chris Benoit (WWF WrestleMania 2001)

Haven't seen this in a while, but, recently, I heard it called one of just two great matches Angle had been apart of. While I wouldn't agree with that, it tells me that it might be worth a look. I'm not sure.

Rock Vs. Brock Lesnar (WWE SummerSlam 2002)

I LOVE this. Maybe it's just the fact that I go giddy for the Rock or that the build up was so awesome, but I just love it. Great facial expressions, great drama, great build.

Edge Vs. Eddie Guerrero (WWE SummerSlam 2002 and WWE Unforgiven 2002)

Eddie is just a BEAST in these two matches. SummerSlam has him just MAULING Edge's arm (no wonder Edge was so good against Benoit this year :)) and the second has him killing his damn HEAD. Two really good matches, and two really great matches for Eddie.

Rock Vs. Steve Austin (WWE WrestleMania 2003)

This is one of my favourite matches right now. I can't really explain it. The work isn't that great, but it just has a real epic feel to it, which I really get from WWE matches. Seems such a fitting end to the feud, and offers great closure. Rock drilling Austin with the three Rock Bottoms to FINALLY keep him down(not too unlike Rock's persistant kick outs from the Stummer two years earlier) is great.

Brock Lesnar Vs. Rey Mysterio (WWE SmackDown!; December 11th, 2003)

Lot's of real nifty spots in this, like Rey with a sunset flip on Brock in to the BARRICADE. Very fun big man vs. little man match, better than the good JBL/Rey match from earlier this year.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, I guess that will do for now, but I'll probably nominate more later. Tried to explain most of my choices, lest I come off as just naming random WWE matches.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Kilgore Trout

Some from this year that I don't think have been nominated:

Eddy Guerrero/Rey Mysterio WWE 6/23/05

CM Punk/Austin Aries ROH 6/18/05

CM Punk/Roderick Strong ROH 7/9/05

CM Punk/Bryan Danielson FIP 2/12/05

Bryan Danielson/Spanky ROH 4/2/05

CM Punk/Jimmy Rave ROH 5/14/05

Samoa Joe + Jay Lethal/Low Ki + Homicide ROH 8/12/05

Guest Bad Brain

Benoit vs. Regal (Pillman Memorial Show 2000)

Yes indeed. I'm shocked to see it took until page two for this match to be mentioned. While I have enjoyed a shit-ton of matches in the past half-decade, none of them match up to this. What a delight it is, in every way. The most effective thing going for it is the reality of the struggle, which is missing so much nowadays. They are fighting for everything, and not in a premeditated way of going through the motions, but just in the fact that for those 13 minutes, they believe what they are doing.