Pro Wrestling Only

Most Successful Gimmick Based on an Actual Job

Cross Face Chicken Wing

The Undertaker has achieved the most popularity using a gimmick that is an actual real-life profession. There probably aren't many real Undertakers who dress in a sleeveless back outfit with a purple tie when they go undertaking for the day, but the gimmick is still based on an actual career path so it counts.

Who comes in second? The Big Boss Man? Do we count Diesel as an actual truck driver? Or did he just use trucking imagery to build his character?

I'm kind of drawing a blank when I try to think of other workers who have had success using gimmicks based on an actual job. There have been plenty of failures -- repo men, teachers, baseball players, lumberjacks, ship captains, etc.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was Beefcake actually meant to be a barber or was it a nickname like Valentine's was "The Hammer"?

He carried around scissors and cut people's hair, so I think he counts as an actual barber. Not sure if his assless and tattered tights would have been good or bad for his barbershop business. Suppose it depends on where his shop was located.