Pro Wrestling Only

Could a modern era Japanese ace make it in WWE?

Fantastic

23 members have voted

1. 1. Of the names listed, which would stand the greatest chance at being a main event player in WWE?

• Hiroshi Tanahashi
    • Kazuchika Okada
    • KENTA
    • Shinsuke Nakamura
    • Takeshi Morishima

Simply put, no Japanese wrestler has ever become a headline attraction in WWE. There has never been a Japanese WWE champion (excluding Inoki, who wasn't part of the company - lets not go into this one!), nor have any of the Japanese wrestlers that WWE has employed throughout it's history been given any kind of gimmick that A. has main event potential, and/or B. isn't heavily focused on their ethnicity.

There has to come a time where an ace in NJPW, AJPW or NOAH joins the WWE and really takes off. The names in the poll , in my opinion, are the most realistic candidates - in the scenario that one of them were to sign with WWE - at breaking the glass ceiling in WWE.

Personally, I think Okada could be incredibly marketable in any wrestling company around the world. The guy oozes natural charisma and wrestling ability. I'm frankly bewildered that TNA did absolutely nothing with him.

Okada speaks English, and I don't think any of the other four do, which makes him almost a de facto choice. Problem is that his gimmick wouldn't translate to the United States that well. He could definitely work, and I think he would benefit a lot working in the WWE style, but it's still a long shot.

Okada speaks English, and I don't think any of the other four do, which makes him almost a de facto choice. Problem is that his gimmick wouldn't translate to the United States that well. He could definitely work, and I think he would benefit a lot working in the WWE style, but it's still a long shot.

Doesn't Nakamura speak English also?

I remember hearing something about him being able to speak it, but when the whole "Okada to WWE" talk came up at the beginning of last year, reports said that Okada was multi-lingual (I think it was 4 languages) and English was one of them. That's why I went that way.

Good lord. Nak's current gimmick with his "YAAAOWWW!" scream while cutting English promos...I kinda want to see that now.

I don't think a guy like Okada could work. He works in NJPW because a flamboyant, charismatic young guy is pretty novel. It's not an America. Same with guys like Tanahashi. Nakamura is maybe just too "out there" although I think he has a better chance. The guy that jumps to my mind is actually Minoru Suzuki, a guy with a striking look, can work a no-nonsense demeanor and can be sold as a guy who comes out of nowhere with a unique set of very dangerous skills that everyone is at a loss as to how to guard against.

If you've been the main drawing card for shows with attendances close to a WrestleMania, you are absolutely going to get a pretty decent spot on the roster. The "WWE doesn't give a shit about your past accomplishments" rule is true to a certain degree but they aren't blind.

Okada going to WWE would be a pretty big deal. The guy is a stud and is only going to get better at 26 years of age.

Sin Cara was the biggest drawing wrestler in Mexico for a few years and couldn't figure it out. My point isn't that they wouldn't acknowledge his past accomplishments. My point is that the WWE sees all wrestlers on an equal playing field and only care about what you can do to help them make money, regardless of what you've done before from a work or drawing perspective. It's a setting issue, not a resume issue.

Sin Cara was the biggest drawing wrestler in Mexico for a few years and couldn't figure it out. My point isn't that they wouldn't acknowledge his past accomplishments. My point is that the WWE sees all wrestlers on an equal playing field and only care about what you can do to help them make money, regardless of what you've done before from a work or drawing perspective. It's a setting issue, not a resume issue.

I've thought this comparison before and I don't claim to have an in-depth view of the Lucha style, but from what I've seen from their modern incarnations the WWE style of wrestling has got to be a far easier to adapt to for guys coming from the Japanese style than it would be for guys coming straight out of CMLL or AAA, right? As I said I'm not an expert but the Lucha style just seems totally different from anything I've seen anywhere else.

Sin Cara coming over without spending any time in FCW was a huge mistake in retrospect. They did acknowledge his stardom in Mexico though.

It wasn't about the style, though. He was plenty over from a work standpoint. Del Rio was derided heavily when he came in because he wasn't exactly known as a good worker, yet he took off the mask and became one of WWE's top guys because he accepted his role and made the most of it. Mistico came in and basically had a big head, ran into the wrong people back stage, got injured, and now he's completely de-valued.

The one thing I will say going forward that might render all this moot is that there have been plenty of rumblings about WWE wanting to become more of an international presence and that by doing that, they're focusing more on in-ring action, which would be beneficial for a guy like Okada, who has that natural charisma about him and can work well. He'll still have to talk, but it won't be as big a deal if he doesn't talk that much.

I always thought Kobashi could get over with his size, charisma and fire, speaking be damned. I know they'll never give someone who can't speak the opportunity to establish themselves at a meaningful level. I also generally don't blame them for it, but think the right guy with the right mouthpiece could very well get over. Okada may have a chance with his size. As much as I love Nakamura, I think he's a bit too lanky to overcome the language issue, and I'm not sure Tanahashi's act / charisma would go over quite as well here.

Guest TheGreatPuma

I have heard that the WWF wanted Kobashi. He would be extremely over in the hearts of the WWF fans. And he would do it without speaking one English word if need be. The guy is that incredible.

Tanahashi could definitely be an ace. I could do an essay on how this would work out. Extremely intriguing.

Of course, I voted for DA FREAKIN' MAAAN KENTA.

I have heard that the WWF wanted Kobashi. He would be extremely over in the hearts of the WWF fans. And he would do it without speaking one English word if need be. The guy is that incredible.

Tanahashi could definitely be an ace. I could do an essay on how this would work out. Extremely intriguing.

Of course, I voted for DA FREAKIN' MAAAN KENTA.

I am not going to let you get away with this.

How would Tanahashi's hair metal gimmick get over in the WWE? Better yet, write that essay on why Tanahashi would be successful in the WWE.