Pro Wrestling Only

help me make a wwe network playlist for a casual friend

efrim

My very casual wrestling fan friend decided to give the network a go because he thought it was a fantastic deal. He's usually too stubborn to listen to my suggestions, but faced with an overwhelming catalog, he's asked me for a playlist of match suggestions.

While he has good, highbrow taste outside of wrestling, within wrestling he's the quintessential casual fan that lived through the attitude era - Thinks every top WWE guy of the attitude era is a no questions legend, that ECW is the coolest, very resistant to anything old or southern and places no value on the legacy of Flair/WCW/Crockett (to my chagrin). Also, he would probably be very offended if I tried to explain this to him, but he's a complete sucker for a breathless spot fest.

My goals in making a playlist for him is compiling stuff that he will enjoy based on his outlook and stuff that will expand his outlook without being too hard for him to digest. The way I'm sneaking older WCW in to his diet is through guys that later did stuff in attitude WWF/ECW (Austin, Cactus, Funk, etc.) and Japanese guys (Muta, Liger) as the idea of Japanese wrestling intrigues him.

Stuff I've come up with so far:

Steve Austin vs. The Great Muta

Superbrawl 2 - Jushin Liger vs. Flyin Brian Pillman

Starrcade 1995 - Jushin Liger vs. Chris Benoit

Starrcade 1993 - Ric Flair vs Vader

Chi-Town Rumble 1989 - Ric Flair vs Ricky Steamboat

Great American Bash 1989 -Ric Flair vs. Terry Funk, I Quit Match

Heatwave 1998 - Jinsei Shinzaki and Hayabusa Vs. Sabu and Rob Van Dam

Starrcade 1983 - Roddy Piper vs Greg Valentine, Dog Coller Match

Additional info on my friend:

Does not watch the modern product (so extremely recent matches are all game, except for Over The Limit 2012 and Extreme Rules 2012).

Mostly just watched Raw and Nitro during the attitude era, so PPV matches that weren't HUGE deals from then are game

favorite wrestlers include: Eddie Guerrero, Rey Mysterio, Benoit, Jericho, Austin, Rock, Shawn Michaels

Edit: and he owns or has seen the wwe dvds for Austin, Jericho, Guerrero and Benoit

I would cut the Austin/Muta match. I think it will bore him. Muta mails it in. If he likes spot fests and is intrigued by the idea of Japanese wrestling, why not the Michinoku Pro 6-man tag from ECW Barely Legal?

You're probably right. That was one I needed to watch myself and was taking on good faith. Perhaps too tidy of a solution but I think old Austin would work with him and I think he could be a big Muta fan as well. Ideas for solutions there?

I suspect classic Sting will be a hard sell for him - can remember him mentioning that Sting pre-crow looked very dumb.

Definitely going to put the Dangerous Alliance War Games match on there for him. I think he'd be pretty curious about the lineups and the wild violence should draw him in.

Watch the RAW segment where Vince McMahon reveals that Paul Heyman was in cohoots with The Shield with Brock Lesnar coming out & destroying Vince in the end.

That segment is really good, to me, about showing a lot of what pro-wrestling is all about. It explains the whole story, makes you feel like Brock is a fucking Godzilla Monster when he comes out & makes Vince go from seeming super powerful to being old & brittle. It's a really good attention grabbing 10 minutes or so.

Plus Heyman, The Shield & Brock are all still around, so it can be used as a gateway to all of the awesome Shield stuff.

For Muta, you can add the Sting match from Bash '89, which is pretty awesome. I like Gary Hart's description of it being like 2 superheroes flying around.

Sting-Luger from Starrcade '89 is super underrated, a really good match with Sting at his most athletic right before the knee injury.

Anything after 1989 has Muta dogging it in his WCW appearances. I think Steiners vs Nasty Boys from Halloween Havoc '90 is a good pick. Maybe the tag featuring the JWP wrestlers from Wrestle War '91. For full shows, I think Spring Stampede '94 and Slamboree '94 both have tons of variety and are worth checking out.

I keep thinking of matches that were on Clashes, sadly.

From Wrestle War 1992 go with the last three matches:

- Brian Pillman vs. Z-Man

- Steiner Brothers vs. Tatsumi Fujinami & Takayuki Iizuka

- War Games (Sting, Koloff, Windham, Rhodes, & Steamboat vs. Zbyzszko, Arn Anderson, Austin, Eaton, & Rude)

I second Victory's comment about Steiners vs. Luger & Sting at SuperBrawl 1.

The War Games on Wrestle War '91 is another good one.

For full shows, I think Spring Stampede '94 and Slamboree '94 both have tons of variety and are worth checking out.

Absolutely. I have somewhat fond memories of those shows though I didn't watch them live (bought them on VHS a couple of years later) and enjoy them now as much as I did. Almost even more so now, now that WWE Network is showing the live feed as opposed to the Home Video edits.