Pro Wrestling Only

Titans of Wrestling #23: Continental Wrestling

http://placetobenation.com/titans-of-wrestling-23-continental-wrestling/

hqdefault.jpg

Big thanks to Martin for once again joining us on the show.

Join the Titans of Rasslin’ as they head to the Heart of Dixie for a look at 1980s Continental wrestling from Alabama! Parv is busy in Ireland, so Kelly assumes the hosting seat again, joined by Pete, Johnny and, making his triumphant return to the show, The Fifth Teen Titan Superstar Marty Sleeze (otherwise known as Martin), for a look at wild and bloody action from one of the more underrated territories of wrestling’s eclectic past.

Listeners at home or on the road, follow along by watching the Continental playlist, exclusively found on the Anti-Network, Titans TV!

On the docket:

1986 The Bullet vs The Nature Boy Ric Flair
1986 The Fuller’s vs The New Guinea Headhunters Cage Match
1987 The Return of Mr Olympia Saga
1988 The Dirty White Boy vs Dr Tom Prichard Feud

Also on this episode:

-A brief look at the history of pro wrestling in Alabama, 1950s-1980s
-Gordon Solie utters the GLOAT (Greatest Line Of All Time)
-Halloween Havoc 2012: He-Man vs The Banana--Dance Floor Death Match
-Ron Fuller: the human tripod
-Ranking the 80s Superbabes
-A look at one of the most shocking and memorable angles of all time: “I’d like to talk to Tom”

Looking forward to listening to this...but..ahead of my listening..

That angle with Pritchard and the White Boy is PHENOMINAL in its realism and craziness...the payoff at the end is great and Solie's reactions are a HUGE part of it at the end...

Its a shame a lot of their matches post this arent around in full....I would have loved to see the payoff....anyone else know if they are ther?e?

• 3 months later...

I really appreciate Titans TV for making footage available before hand. Especially since this is my first experience with Continental. DWB is a big favorite of mine though and familiar with some of the other guys. Martin needs to go watch more SMW. DWB went pretty even with Roberts on promos in 94. I don't love heavy punching matches as much as Pete but I do like that these guys make their punches look so convincing. And the promos are top notch.

I noticed Flair did a backward flop bump against the Bullet. Don't remember seeing that one before. Very quick match. Solie's call on finished seemed to be on a five second delay. I found Solie to be very entertaining here overall. Full arm drag and a twist sounds delicious. Also enjoyed guys doing their own commentary of matches they were in. The Fullers were great.

DWB is great but yeah that was one of the weakest trying to stop a fight attempts ever. Yes, Dirty White Girl is pretty hot. She was missing her outfit there. Wait, so she legit went with Dundee later on? And yeah I love the Dirty White Boy song.

I'll admit I was a bit uncomfortable at first with the angle with Pritchard and the whole domestic violence thing. Was getting where Martin was coming from on this one. Solie was something here with his total disregard for DWG. We got a television show to run! The payoff is great though and the hanging spot was crazy.

Fun show and anybody can watch the stuff they were talking about. Great to have Johnny along. Always nice to hear some Stu Hart. I hope Harley Race makes a comeback at some point. Also appreciate you guys giving some history of Continental for those of us who are not familiar with it. Great show again.

I didn't know about the 3rd Headhunter in the cage angle before I just watched it. That was pretty awesome stuff and I'll have to check out what you guys thought about it on the show. Kevin Sullivan is really fun on commentary for it too.