Pro Wrestling Only

Matches you must love. But don't.

WingedEagle

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Octagon vs. Fuerza Guerrero from 11/1/91 feels like the type of match that fits this catagory well for me. Had many elements I really love in wrestling, mask ripping, incredible heel performance, blood, but it still left me cold in spots. Overall I still found it really good just not one of the top 10 lucha matches I have seen so far in the 1990, 1991, 1994 sequence.

I'm not sure that this has that big a rep, aside from people pointing to it as an excellent performance from Fuerza and a tremendous carry job. It's miles better than their match from '92 and you only have to watch Octagon's matches against Satanico and Blue Panther to appreciate the fact you found it very good. The Panther matches in particular are eye-clawingly bad.

Octagon vs. Fuerza Guerrero from 11/1/91 feels like the type of match that fits this catagory well for me. Had many elements I really love in wrestling, mask ripping, incredible heel performance, blood, but it still left me cold in spots. Overall I still found it really good just not one of the top 10 lucha matches I have seen so far in the 1990, 1991, 1994 sequence.

I'm not sure that this has that big a rep, aside from people pointing to it as an excellent performance from Fuerza and a tremendous carry job. It's miles better than their match from '92 and you only have to watch Octagon's matches against Satanico and Blue Panther to appreciate the fact you found it very good. The Panther matches in particular are eye-clawingly bad.

I realize it is shown as a primary example of Fuerza getting something good out of Octagon but I would say this is generally heralded as one of the more highly pimped lucha matches of the 1990's. I know I was aware of this match before I even started watching lucha with any sort of regularity.

You know what else doesn't hold up? Triple H's "amazing" 2000 run and his career in general before the injury. I've been watching his stuff on the network lately and I can't speak for his matches on RAW and Smackdown, but most of his highly touted PPV matches are weak or decent at best. The Foley matches from 2000 that I really liked as a kid aren't any good. The Royal Rumble match is decent and the No Way Out match is kinda blah. His Austin match at Survivor Series is pointless garbage. The best match I've seen from him in 2000 is the Backlash match with the Rock. It was actually really good until all of the overbooking at the end. It didn't ruin the match, it just turned it into something else. Speaking of the Rock, their famous ladder match that is supposed to be really good slowly gets worse and worse as it goes on. It ends up being pretty horrible by the end. Same for their strap match. Same for most Triple H matches in general. Good start then they get lost. Things don't tie together.

Looking back I thought the No Way Out match with Foley was pretty dull. The only matches I like from that period are the "last man standing" match with Chris Jericho and his "Raw" match with Taka Michinoku.

I thought that during that time Triple H was a decent main event worker but wasn't the four-star-plus-all-the-time worker he was being heralded as by Wade.

I realize it is shown as a primary example of Fuerza getting something good out of Octagon but I would say this is generally heralded as one of the more highly pimped lucha matches of the 1990's. I know I was aware of this match before I even started watching lucha with any sort of regularity.

Really? I didn't know that. The only lucha matches that used to get pimped were AAA matches and late 90s CMLL.