Pro Wrestling Only

Matches you must love. But don't.

WingedEagle

I might go with pretty much every Orton/Cena match. I'm not saying their matches are horrendous or that they weren't "Match of the Night" winners and, for a time, they probably were "Match of the Month" winners...but none of them were MOTY to me and I think both guys have had better matches with different opponents.

I don't see how any of them were in that "matches everyone is supposed to love" / MOTY level, though. Outside of possibly 'people who only watch WWE'.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just watched Magnum/Tully for the first time with none of the buildup. Honestly don't see how you could not love it, but different strokes for different folks. LOVED the part where Magnum had the mic in Tuilly's face, then they just started rolling around and clawing at each other's faces. By that point it was an accomplishment to stand up because of the toll the match had taken on both. That was an absolute war. Magnum thinking about going back to gouging Tully afterwards was a great, great touch also. What separates this match from a brawl to me is the sheer amount of hate and refusal to back down even one bit by both. The intensity level in this match is through the roof and I think that elevates it far above calling it just "a brawl".

Austin / Undertaker from Summerslam 1998 and the Austin/ HHH / Mankind 3 way from Summerslam 1999. They have left me cold when people have raved about them. This however can count for around 3/4's of the Attitude Era matches and booking as they no longer hold up to today's standards. I can appriciate a good Austin brawl mind you as the Over The Edge main event's booking and pacing are tremendous today.

I would also add Bret Hart vs British Bulldog from Summerslam 92. Its solid, but I don't think its exceptional or even especially good. I could actually mention a lot of Bret Hart matches here.

I think the tide of opinion has changed on Hart/Bulldog at Wembley. Usually I see people say their In Your House match from 95 was better.

I think the In Your House match was way better. Summerslam has the great aesthetics, and I think Bret prefers it because he can discuss it as a carry job, but In Your House is just a clearly superior match to me.

I've just got through a couple of podcasts relating to Summerslam 98. Both Triple H / Rock ladder match and Austin / Taker were highly touted. Austin / Taker recieved 4.5 out of 5. I don't understand that. But I agree that without Taker carrying Austin home that match could have been a lot lot worse than mediocre.

Rewatched Tully/Magnum, and I'll recant on that. Its definitely a legendary matchup. I think I was taken aback the first time I saw it by the amount of crazed rolling on the ground and ugly, desperate grappling. But now I dig how animalistic the match is and it feels like a fantastic story about survival and what it takes to survive. Amazing finish, and I really dug how Magnum holds back from a post-match beatdown on Tully, instead just giving him this disgusted look. Then he leaves relatively quickly, perhaps even a little disgusted with himself for the lengths he had to go to.

This kind of thing often occurs by happenstance, but I also loved the pre-match aesthetics. It has a really eerie, hostile vibe before the house lights came up and both Tully and Magnum communicated a lot with their posture/faces, which was enhanced by the moody lighting.

It wasn't just Apter for that match though, Meltzer loved it as well, so did Scott Keith, and so did a ton of casual and hardcore fans if my memory serves me right. I watched it a month or so ago, and it's really not very good at all. It's a sprint based spotfest where all four guys blow numerous spots. It popped the crowd big though, I'll give the match that much.

I certainly understand why people loved/love the idea of that match. The first few minutes were cool with the energy and big spots, but they got really ragged after that and petered out. It wasn't anywhere near the best match in the world that day -- that'd be Sano vs. Shamrock in Japan.

Never got the love for Luger/Sting vs. The Steiners from the first SuperBrawl, specifically why it beat out the Bret/Hennig match from SummerSlam for PWI match of the year.

wasn't apter getting money from WCW or is that just another old scott keith chestnut?

PWI produced the WCW magazine for them at that point so Apter and company were probably a little biased when it came to WCW content.