Pro Wrestling Only

Titans of Wrestling #28: WWF at Philadelphia Spectrum Feburary 14th 1981

• 5 weeks later...

I loved that this show both opened and closes with Dick Graham having his arm around Kal. Philly crowd was booing everyone through the first couple of matches. Dick Graham is a big trend setter bringing up future nicknames Macho Man and One Man Gang. He even mentions the Code of Honor. Just ahead of his time. Kal, "Poet and don't know it!" Happy wedding anniversary Dick. Some of those early matches weren't too good but at least they are short. Enjoyed that Parv was skipping on the carbs and lead analyst Pete was skipping on watching the matches. Nice kip up by Dominic. Oh, but that finish was bad. Poor Dominic. Common thing with this card was poor finishes. South Park Stanley Cup episode is great. Especially the finish.

I like Johnny turning Cappetta into a heel. Am mixed on Pedro/Hansen. On one hand I'm cool with Hansen beating the crap out of Pedro but I see Johnny's point about hoping for a bit more from Morales during match. Was hoping for bit more out of this one. Know you guys loved Slaughter/Backlund and I agree it was match of the night. But I thought their previous match was a bit better. Too much Backlund here though Slaughter's bumping and selling was great. I just preferred Backlund bleeding buckets in their previous encounter. But this was still pretty damn good. Looking forward to cage match.

I feel like Pete right now where I can't read my own notes. Think it was along the line that I found myself agreeing with Parv on some of these matches. I thought Rodz looked pretty decent on offense. It was totally laughable on how he dominated match and then took a weak kick and the lamest elbow possible and was put away. Mikel versus Jones. Was enjoying this phantom foreign object being used most of the match. I'm on the Jones was more successful than Leaping Lanny bandwagon.

Appreciate Johnny bringing up Crazy Bob Backlund. This was so apparent in his post match rant to Kal and then the interview with Dick. He did the Sportscenter type interview but just came off nuts. My favorite part of the Hogan interview was the very beginning. We see Hulk posing in front of the camera and then Kal pops out from behind him, looks Hogan over and then says "very nice Hulk". Hogan running him down was funny cause Kal kept smiling but you could see in his eyes that he was crushed.

The Baron/Taxi Driver bit was hilarious. I totally missed the stip about tag match with Garea/Martel versus Moondogs. Thought it was a traditional match with just a special guest referee. Johnny did bring this up on whether it affected the opinion of match. I think it does as I found this to be perfectly fine match. Maybe it could have done more moves but I still enjoyed it. Match was getting a whole lot of "woo hoos" from Dick.

• 1 year later...

Yeah, Spectrum shows have tons of hidden gems. CHV didn't include many matches, 24/7 and the Network have avoided them for the most part, and good old James also neglected to put a lot of Philly matches on his 79-83 set. Most full cards from the 80s are out there, although the video quality isn't always the best if that is a hang up for you. We are planning on reviewing the September and October 1982 Spectrum cards on Titans as our way of saying goodbye to the commentary of that amazing man Kal Rudman. (His last show as a commentator was Oct 82)

BTW, Kal is still kicking after all these years. Quick Google News search pops this up, a quote about the recently deceased Jefferson Airplane founder Paul Kanter on the site for a media conglomerate about radio and the industry he, Kal, is the publisher of:

FMQB publisher Kal Rudman comments, "Paul Kantner’s contribution as a songwriter and electric guitarist were instrumental in making the Jefferson Airplane and Jefferson Starship major hit machines for half a century. In every incarnation, Kantner was the glue and the constant. His death leaves a great void among the pillars of the revolutionary San Francisco rock scene and thus, rock in general. - See more at: http://www.fmqb.com/article.asp?id=2993464#sthash.7VKTEbrj.dpuf