Pro Wrestling Only

[1981-05-04-WWF-MSG, NY] Sgt. Slaughter vs Pat Patterson (Alley Fight)

Loss

• 1 year later...

Sgt. Slaughter vs Pat Patterson - WWF, MSG 5/4/81, Alley Fight

The World Wrestling Federation in 1980-81 was a damn solid promotion. I feel like Bruno would have been in this role if he was still around, but instead we get Pat, which aint a bad thing at all. Slaughter had been tormenting jobbers on TV as part of his Cobra Clutch. Well Black Demon wasnt having any of it so he bailed on the whole thing. Patterson conducted the interview with Sarge, who called him yellow so it was on. Slaughter and Patterson have a great little mini match with Patterson trying to escape the Cobra Clutch and just as he is about to, Slaughter knees in the gut and then brutally attacks him with a chair and puts the Clutch back on. Titans favorites Middle Aged & Crazy Dom Denucci (Kelly), Tony Garea (Johnny) and Ricky Martel (Parv's) save the day as Denucci lives up to his name and goes crazy with the chair on Slaughter. It was a damn good brawl. I know I have seen the April MSG match that set up this match before. but I couldnt find it so I went straight to the Alley Fight.

Hot damn! They just dont make bloody violent brawls like they used to. Patterson comes out in the famous I
As a street fight this was badass, but I think the rules or lack of rules hurt the finish. I get what they were going for with no referee that was an unsanctioned, real deal street fight like you would see at a bar. It accomplished that all the way up until they needed a finish and it just lacked that climax that is the 1-2-3. I think "I Quit" rules would have also been perfect for this if someone had thought of that. Still one of the all-time classics and a top 5 WWF 80s match. ****3/4

• 2 years later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1981-05-04-WWF-MSG, NY] Sgt. Slaughter vs Pat Patterson (Alley Fight)
  • 1 month later...

Great punching, sublime selling and one hell of a crimson mask made this match the 1981 MOTY. Both guys are wearing street clothes, with Patterson using his cowboy boots and belt as weapons. Patterson pulverizes Slaughter in a one-sided beating. Slaughter takes some nasty bumps to the turnbuckle, and eventually his manager throws in the towel to save him from the match continuing. This helped Slaughter look strong in defeat. Although I like more variety in my wrestling than just straight brawls, this is still a must-see for anyone who likes old-school slug fests.

★★★★

• 2 years later...

My original review kinda sucks, I need to talk about this on a podcast recording tonight (good teaser for Pro Wrestling Love Fans) so watching this during my lunch break. 

Sgt. Slaughter vs Pat Patterson - WWF MSG 5/4/81 Alley Fight

Pat Patterson is decked out in a I <3 NY shirt, dungarees, belt, cowboy boot and a Yankees hat (Yankees Suck!). Vince yells "Go Get Em Brutha!". Street fight attire should be jeans or fatigues. These two look great. Patterson's shine is red hot. MSG is rockin'! Patterson is just teeing off on Sarge and Slaughter is selling well. During one scrap, on their knees, an errant Sarge punch connects with the steel post to delight of MSG and the chagrin of Slaughter. Patterson takes off his belt and whips Slaughter like the dog he is! He chokes him with the belt. The belt needs to make a comeback in wrestling along with cowboy boots, fire and powder. Slaughter rakes the eyes and gets control of the belt and pops him in the throat. He wraps the belt around the mouth, nasty visual. He rips off the I <3 NY shirt and chokes him with that, great heel move. Patterson bucks him over the top rope and then Slaughter misses the Atomic Stomp. I love how it takes two moves to consolidate your advantage. Patterson hits not one, but TWO BOMBS AWAY KNEE DROPS! Slaughter rakes the eyes again and stomps the head. Slaughter hurls Patterson over the top rope and Pat is sent careening to the floor. Pat punches him in the breadbasket, double fist to the head, CATAPULT INTO CLASSIC SLAUGHTER BUMP! THERE IS BLOOD! Pat tees off on Slaughter. Amazing stagger selling by Slaughter and just when it looks like Sarge is gonna go down, he punches Pat in the balls. Great selling by Patterson and even better jelly leg selling by Slaughter as he goes fishing for brass knuckles in his pants. The one misfire is that Sarge does connect with the brass knux and it is not sold really dramatically or really consequential. Patterson's fiery comeback is so damn good! Blocking the knux, punching the cut, ramming Slaughter's head into the post and then taking off his boot and beating the living shit out of him. I love Slaughter's bumping choices here, the way he is staggering and going to one knee instead of taking a series of flat backs. We need more of that. There seems to be a final KO blow, but Wizard is a little late and Slaughter just eats boot shots on the apron holding the ropes and Wizard throws in the towel. All-time great bloody brawl classic! Patterson was a vicious red hot babyface, every babyface should watch this offensive performance and every heel should watch Slaughter for his choices on he sells and bumps. No change in rating, excellent. ****3/4