Pro Wrestling Only

[1998-01-24-WCW-Souled Out] Chris Jericho vs Rey Misterio Jr

Loss

• 1 month later...

Rey's wheel looks in pretty rough shape. He takes an awkward bump coming from the ropes. The finish is nice with Jericho reversing a top rope hurricanarana attempt into the lion tamer for the tap out. I can't believe Jericho is a 3 time champion already. Jericho cuts a promo and gives the crowd a reason to boo by attacking Rey after the match and jamming the television box into the leg of Mysterio. Jericho apologizes as he walks to the back with Tony disgusted at his actions.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

WCW Crusierweight Champion Rey Misterio Jr vs Chris Jericho - WCW Souled Out 1998

I thought they worked smart match around Rey's knee going above and beyond the typical Jericho works Rey Jr.'s knee over. Again it is so refreshing to watch a midcard match where both acts are over, huge "Jericho Sucks" and Rey is generally well-liked by WCW fans. Jericho is great at false sincerity early interacting with the crowd I wish they would give him the mic to cut a promo beforehand. The early part of the match establishes Jericho is a dick and has the weight advantage. Rey is able to overcome this with his speed, but eventually this cost him his mobility when he goes for the proto-619, which he used as a fake out move. I liked how after that Misterio tried other tactics to stay in control like grounding Jericho and even going after Jericho's illustrious mane. Rey is really good at selling the knee, but how much is really selling, we don;t know. Rey goes for another high risk move but Jericho hotshots on the top rope. Jericho is great at showboating. Rey works through the pain and gets one last ditch high risk move (somersault plancha). He blows out his knee. Rey tries to persevere, but they work a great finish where Jericho counters the hurricanrana off the top rope into a Liontamer. The Liontamer and Crippler Crossface both over on the same show was cool. I love the Jericho character and they work the best possible match given Rey's limitations.

• 1 year later...

That finish was holy-shit worthy, because it looked for a second like Jericho was going to ganso bomb him off the turnbuckle. But Rey's short enough that he just transitions into the Lion Tamer. Rey has to tap due to an injured knee, and Jericho is AGHAST that he would be greeted with boos afterward. So he obliges the crowd by tearing Rey apart some more, chaining his leg to the ring steps, and whacking it with a giant steel box. Strong post-match angle to give Rey some more time off and get Jericho over as the biggest the division had ever seen, and the run that made Jericho a superstar is going full-speed ahead now.

• 1 month later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1998-01-24-WCW-Souled Out] Chris Jericho vs Rey Misterio Jr