Pro Wrestling Only

[1998-01-26-WWF-Raw] Owen Hart vs Hunterdust

Loss

• 1 month later...

Goldust comes out as HHH and Luna as Chyna in another good spoof and overall tie-in of things happening in WWF. Goldust throws off his wig and nose implant and we have a decent little 5 minute match between him and Owen. He even goes for a pedigree but Owen reverses into the sharpshooter for the submission.

DX is on the titantron laughing and getting one over again but Slaughter runs down and makes the judgement call that he had him fooled and Owen is the new European champion. Cool moment. (*3/4)

• 3 weeks later...

Goldust comes out as Hunterdust, wearing a huge nose and a HHH wig while walking with a crutch. Luna dressed as Chyna is funny. Okay TV match, but nothing special. Owen wins the title and it would appear that HHH has outsmarted everyone, but in reality, Sgt. Slaughter says the decision stands and that Owen is now the European Champion. I guess this was as good as it was going to get for Owen - beating a HHH surrogate to win a title.

I think its pretty fitting that there were two really crappy title changes of the European title right around the time where the WWF was losing television in Germany (to be precise I think that this was the first Raw not available anymore on German TV), probably their hottest market in 93-96 with tours there every other month. Thinking about it, the downfall of WWF in Germany from summer 95 until this point might make a really interesting article, if someone would invest the time.

• 1 year later...

I think its pretty fitting that there were two really crappy title changes of the European title right around the time where the WWF was losing television in Germany (to be precise I think that this was the first Raw not available anymore on German TV), probably their hottest market in 93-96 with tours there every other month.

The switch from Owen back to HHH is no prize, either.

Okay-ish match but it's getting harder and harder for in-ring action to mean anything...and I'm trying not to be a broken record with this, and with the WWF's rash of injuries around this time it's even the smart thing. But it is what it is. I do admire Dustin's attempts to use HHH's knee-centric offense and I liked Luna in a black wig standing as a stone-faced, ersatz Chyna.

• 1 month later...

The Goldust-As-Someone-Else act is already starting to wear on me. It seems like a running comment with me so far this year, but Luna as Chyna is oddly attractive. The match was your average paint-by-numbers late 90s TV match. Slaughter comes out and awards Owen the European Title which, surprisingly, DX sells like it's actually a big deal.

RATING: Is the European Title the most useless, meaningless title since the Western States Heritage Title?

• 11 months later...

Pretty good TV match. Both guys worked hard. I might even give it 3 stars if I rated it. Goldust hit a Helmsley knee in this which is funny. Luna does a good Chyna impression. Owen wins with the sharpshooter. DX come on the tron & laugh about how they've fooled everyone again. Sarge comes out & awards the European Title to Owen anyways since Goldust worked as HHH & the Title was supposed to be on the line. Good comeuppance for DX in that one of their tricks finally backfired on them, but Owen not beating Hunter is stupid. I liked the match though.

• GSR changed the title to [1998-01-26-WWF-Raw] Owen Hart vs Hunterdust