Pro Wrestling Only

[1998-04-19-WCW-Spring Stampede] Raven vs DDP

Loss

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I wasn't too big a fan of this as it felt like DDP being overly stupid for one of the few times in a couple of years in going up against the Flock without any backup. He also looks worse with what happens the next night on Nitro. Horace debuts with his stop sign and the Flock is really played out with no names now.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Way too many heel miscommunication spots and low blows on this show. This is where, and why, a focused overall vision and agents who know what they're doing matter. The action in isolation is decent if overbooked. DDP fights off the whole Flock but a guy in a ring crew uniform knocks him out with the stop sign, leading to an Evenflow on the kitchen sink and the U.S. title for Raven. I had no idea who this was and neither do the announcers and needed this thread to fill me in. I'm underwhelmed. On the positive side Levy is probably in the workrate run of his career, as he's had a number of strong performances on these PPVs even if he crams too much in.

• 1 month later...

Guess I was manipulated by my memory of the stagecoach spot making this out as a classic. I must have been thinking of something else as only the finish made it here (absent the spot I remembered) Typical Raven cluster with DDP losing so Goldberg can squash Raven the next night.

• 4 months later...

I thought the whole match was really fun. Brawling in beginning was spirited and stiff, the commentators and crowd are obviously enthralled and loving it, loads of fun weapon spots and scenery getting destroyed - it needed 5 more minutes to really be worth seeking out, but as it is, it is just a really enjoyable viewing that reminds you how, in 98', though the nWo storyline was dying a slow death, WCW did have an intriguing undercard with over acts ready to breakout as main event players.

• 1 year later...

Funny enough I watched this match this evening, and the interference was a bit much when consecutive members of the flock miss DDP and waffle raven.

I liked the stagecoach stuff and the outside the ring stuff. I always felt WCW put a lot of effort into their entrance way sets at this time, compared to WWE.

• GSR changed the title to [1998-04-19-WCW-Spring Stampede] Raven vs DDP