Pro Wrestling Only

Your personal most Overrated and Underrated

JaymeFuture

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, if Kobashi and Misawa got caught and slammed off the top 99.9% of the time they ran there, to the point where it became glaringly obvious even given my willing supsension of disbelief that the only possible reason they went up there was to get slammed off, then it would be just as silly for them too.

Here is my logic perspective for this. Two of Flair's greatest ten wins in his career came off a dive from the top rope. I can't recall a time where Flair was pinned after being thrown off. The risk/reward is there for me to conceivably see why he goes to the well each time. I have certain things in my work and auditing figures that dont work 99% of the time. The 1% when they do reduce my workload tremendously. As a result, I also check even with the enormous failure rate.

Definitely not being a contrarian. Dean was a guy who did a lot of stuff, but rarely put it together in interesting ways. Not a bad worker by any means, but he was never in the same universe as many of his peers he would get lumped in with.

Sorry....my sarcasm font didn't come through well.

I guess I could see that argument, though I wouldn't necessarily agree with it. I tended to really enjoy the styles of matches he put on. He offered absolutely nothing personality or character wise, but I always enjoyed his matches.

The guy who thinks Malenko was better than Flair is calling someone else a contrarian?

Just an opinion. I would say I enjoy Malenko matches generally better than I enjoy Flair matches. I could lie about it if you're so inclined, but different strokes for different folks.

I've said it multiple times but Dean Malenko was a terrible Horseman. McMichaels wasn't a great worker but he knew how to project that Horsemen image far better than Dean ever knew how to.

In that area I'd say Mongo was one of the best Horseman. He was no great shakes in the ring, but as far as living the Horseman way and playing up that image, he really got it.

I used to love Malenko and still like him quite a bit but I realized he was just my gateway drug to good technical wrestling. I loved his stuff with Rey and Jericho and even the tag stuff in 99. The more I watched him it became clear that he was more of a great dance partner than a great dancer.

Malenko has been an overrated candidate for a long time. JDW has been writing since 1996 about the failures of Dean's matches with Rey Jr. in WCW

I was going to write something, but for a rare time thought I'd read the rest of the thread. I'm glad to see my name was dragged in before I could post it, Tim. :)

Malenko was always very good but let's be honest...the Malenko/Guerrero stuff from ECW was overrated then and doesn't age that great.

Haven't watched them in ages, but the last time I did, I thought at least one of them was decent. Not *****+++ that some ECW Fanboys were calling them, but a perfectly decent/good match. Would agree that collectively they were rated higher than I would have snowflaked them at the time.

I like Malenko in short TV matches where he can bust out a bunch of cool shit without much need for rhyme or reason, but who was his best opponent in longer matches? Ultimo?

Ultimo at Starcade? Again, it's been ages... but I recall liking it at the time.

The Eddy-Dean match the people tend to like in recent years is the Hostile City Showdown one. That came out the most liked when people here sat through all the 1995 one. It goes 25+ minutes. The problem is that they kept going to the well on long matches, and it didn't hold up.