Pro Wrestling Only

Modern Indie Wrestling

concrete1992

• Replies 530
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have always liked what I have seen out of Josh Alexander and Ethan Page. If the rumors are true of ROH contracted talent no longer being able to appear on PWG shows, this could be an interesting year for PWG and a chance to give a lot of exposure to new talent.

And it looks like even without ROH contracted talent the card for the February PWG still looks stacked: Hero vs Gulak, Uha Nation/ Brian Cage vs The Young Bucks and Roderick Strong vs Trevor Lee

From what I understand of the ROH/PWG situation, only talent with certain contracts are unable to appear. Elgin, Cole, O'Reilly. and Fish are done. Cedric Alexander and Tommaso Ciampa will continue to appear. No one seems to know what the status of ACH is at this point.

Jon Silver and Alex Reynolds of CZW will also be debuting in February for PWG, as well as "Speedball" Mike Bailey who will be taking on Biff Busick.

Unfortunately I feel that way about pretty much all US commentary now

I find Cole and crew pretty easily ignorable most of the time, I think because the WWE style is such a broad stroke style. Much of what a guy like Thatcher does is happening on such a micro level that I really need to pay attention and it's incredibly distracting when the announcers aren't calling what's actually happening in the ring at all. Especially when all they're doing is discussing the fine details of the promotion's stupid ranking system.

Beyond did a Rawlternative show tonight for free on YouTube featuring over a dozen matches, each from a different indie fed. I thought there were some major flaws in the presentation of the show (no break in between matches, only one match having a even pace to it, lots of excess, et.) but by and large I thought it was a really cool idea and a very good effort. Seeing the Mike Bailey v. Kevin STeen match in full as the "opener" was really cool and a nice treat. I also really liked the seedy Brian Kendrick match, Keith Walker v. Eddie Kingston, Chris Hero v. Colin Delaney, Watanabe v. Andy Dalton (the only match on the "show" that wasn't largely a go, go, go affair) and The Bucks v. Super Smash Brothers.

Other unrelated indie notes - PWS new t.v. show is actually really awesome as a sort of hybrid of 1993 ECW and modern indie culture. SAW has an awesome Drew Haskins squash this week and a great Bill Dundee music video hyping his upcoming appearance for them at their 8th Anniversary show. WWC TV has had some really fun stuff already, including a Jinder Mahal strap match against Ray Gonzalez, an extremely fun (but clipped) Chicano v. Bronco brawl, and a 2015 Chicky Starr tag match that is legitimately good.

But my favorite indie match of the year comes to us from Johnny Rodz gym as a New Japan Young Boy teams up with Finlay's kid to wrestle a guy in a clown suit and a dude named after an autoparts store.

Thanks for the gym match. Some fun stuff in there. Everyone's green as the emerald city, but it's a good time.

Couple things.. Wantanabe tags in Finlay, and the heels both ditch to the floor. Order returns (there's not much of it!) and Wantanabe exits thru the ropes, and does a nice lil call back sell. Rubbing his chin, from a pretty recent strike exchange. Good touch. But even better, right after he does it.. watch across the ring.. the guy in the mask.. can't miss him.. ha! That moment was great.

Also, that dual bicep smash move that Money Mike does near the middle, on Finlay? With the big clap. That's kind of brilliant. A smart and logical way to get a high impact sound. Smarter than tight slapping at least, ha!

Be even smarter if the biceps looked more threatening!

So feel like giving some love to my local promotion. So there are a couple 2CW matches coming up that may have some appeal to people here...or not whatever.

March 8th

Mike Bailey vs Jay Freddie vs Colin Delaney vs Cheech

A lot more people became familiar with Bailey after #RAWlternative and pumped to see him in 2CW. Jay Freddie tries emulating the Eddie Edward types. In a scramble type of match I think that works fine. Colin Delaney is someone who has improved over the years. Probably doesn't sell great down the stretch. Cheech is super animated and while maybe not the tightest offense I definitely have fun watching him live. Think these four will blend well in a elimination 4-way.

Brute VanSlyke vs Joe Gacy

They're probably going to throw bombs at each other for like 10 minutes which is neat. Brute has a nasty lariat but throws every other strike pretty not good. Gacy is probably going to have a good 2015 if CZW doesn't completely suck nards in the booking department...big IF.

Young Bucks vs Dudleys

First match wasn't anything to remember. Hoping for some more HEAT in this one.

• 2 weeks later...

EVOLVE - Thursday, March 26th - 8pm PST, 11pm EST -www.WWNLive.com

No Restriction, No Limits - Non-Title
EVOLVE Champion Drew Galloway vs. "Darewolf" PJ Black
These two are coming with a purpose- to show what they can do at the peak of their abilities

EVOLVE - Friday, March 27th- 3pm PST, 6pm EST -www.WWNLive.com

First Time Ever Dream Match
Ricochet vs. "Darewolf" PJ Black
No hype needed here

WWN Supershow - Saturday, March 28th - 4pm PST, 7pm EST - www.WWNLive.com

Generation Next vs. The New Generation
Austin Aries & Roderick Strong vs. Ricochet & Uhaa Nation
The men who changed the landscape ten years ago vs the men who changed Dragon Gate and WWN

February 2nd: We need to remind you that also confirmed for all three events are:
-DGUSA Open The Freedom Gate Champion Johnny Gargano
-Chris Hero
-Caleb Konley & Brian Cage with Sol Cal Val of The Premier Athlete Brand
-AR Fox
-Timothy Thatcher
-Tommy End
-Plus more to be announced!

Copied the card so far and such. They've also teased Hero vs Thatcher/Busick. And Galloway vs Strong+Unification with Gargano. Not thrilled with the GeNext opponents. Interested to see how a Galloway vs PJ Black match looks like on the indies. Wonder what they'll do with Tommy End. No loss in my eyes with Nese missing the weekend.

I see that ROH does not try to block Roderick Strong from the WWN events. I know that Strong is a free agent but ROH is his number source of bookings .

I wonder why Gabe does not let his top guys take ROH booking ? WWN only runs a few shows so his guys have lots of open dates . Is Saposky still bitter about being fired ? I know his main goal was to put ROH out of business . Is their still bad blood between ROH and WWN or have things settled down ? Anyone have any insight .

Who makes the next stars? ROH or Gabe?

It's probably just a bunch of different practical reasons tho, and likely undramatic.

The indie scene is kind of wide open, and with the availability of footage, there's different avenues if you wanna get noticed by WWE. Not to mention the wrestlers who don't have that goal. Makes for some different choices over the last couple years.

Copied the card so far and such. They've also teased Hero vs Thatcher/Busick. And Galloway vs Strong+Unification with Gargano. Not thrilled with the GeNext opponents. Interested to see how a Galloway vs PJ Black match looks like on the indies. Wonder what they'll do with Tommy End. No loss in my eyes with Nese missing the weekend.

Should have went all the way with the Generation Next reunion deal and got Shelley & Jack Evans as the opponents. Or if Shelley is on the New Japan shows going on at the same time, Sydal & Evans. I get what Gabe is going for with Uhaa/Ricochet as the opponents, though, even if it wouldn't have been my first choice. Based on the January shows it seems like a lock they do Hero vs. Thatcher on one EVOLVE show and Hero vs. Busick on the other. A round robin deal also seems like a possibility given Gabe is a fan of that concept.

I see that ROH does not try to block Roderick Strong from the WWN events. I know that Strong is a free agent but ROH is his number source of bookings .

I wonder why Gabe does not let his top guys take ROH booking ? WWN only runs a few shows so his guys have lots of open dates . Is Saposky still bitter about being fired ? I know his main goal was to put ROH out of business . Is their still bad blood between ROH and WWN or have things settled down ? Anyone have any insight .

ROH has enough relatively important wrestlers currently working without contracts (Strong, Jacobs, Bennett to name a few) that it wouldn't be wise to strong arm any of them into not working for WWN. They aren't in the position to be throwing around their weight like that and I think they know it. If they gave an ultimatum, they might lose.

I think the main reason WWN guys still aren't allowed to work ROH is because contracted ROH wrestlers still aren't allowed to appear on iPPV's for other promotions. With iPPV's being WWN's main distribution channel, that is as good as saying they can't be booked on WWN shows. If WWN wrestlers worked for ROH, then the only way you could see ROH and WWN guys wrestle each other would be ROH shows. ROH would gain and WWN really wouldn't.

I watched Jonathan Gresham vs. Joe Gacy from a recent CZW show. Given what little I've seen of those guys before I thought it might be a cool mat-based match, and I guess it was for about five minutes before they switched to the indie bomb-throwing style and neglected to sell anything that happened prior. Disappointing.

After reading the responses about the WWN Live and ROH relationship it is clear that they should work together and run a inter -promotional angle. It work for ROH when Gabe booked the CZW war. Hell Jerry Jarrett ran the inter promotional feud angle 5 times, it is a proven money maker. Memphis vs. Florida, World Class , Global , Smoky Mountain and ECW .

ROH and WWN Live could run cards with their contracted talent facing off in a series of matches. The Briscoes , Jay Lethal , Adam Cole , ReDRragon , Elgin, etc vs. Johnny y Gargano , Chuck Taylor , Ricochet , Trent Barrett , Drew Galloway , etc. should really draw for both companies.

ROH and WWN should know that all ships sail with the high tide. I guess both companies would prefer for PWG to continue to book matches with their talent. PWG has really had a good run capitalizing off the ROH - Gabe rift. PWG has had to be eating in to both companies DVDand/or IPPPV sales. Really smart business move by PWG. Now Tommy Dreamer going down the same road with ROH , WWN and TNA talent.

I sure they will ROH and WWN will both continue their own little Cold War ., too bad.

Anarchy is running a Fred Yehi v. Slim J series. The first match is up as a stand alone on Youtube and took place late last year IIRC. The second match went up tonight as part of the t.v. show and it is really, really good. You can certainly find flaws with it - Yehi's ridiculous oversell after a kickout, the lack of depth to Slim J's selling, the way some of the transitions were delivered - but it was also a match filled with a lot of nice little things including true momentum swings, some really nice counters, build to the big spots, stiff looking shots, spirited and unique grappling exchanges, a broad range of offense, and a finish that made you want to see the series continue without leaving you feeling cheated. It might be my number three MOTY at this point after Nak v. Ibushi and the Royal Rumble Triple Threat FWIW. It starts about 20 minutes in here:

• 1 month later...

2015 wXw 16 Carat Gold - Night #1

Overall, I thought this was a much stronger first night than the 2014 version. The two big reasons were a stronger field and better time allocation amongst the matches. Until the Zack Sabre Jr. vs. Axel Tischer match (the last tournament match of the first night), none of the other seven tournament matches went longer than 14 minutes and five were under 10 minutes. The three matches that went over ten minutes were good choices to be given more time (Sabre/Tischer, Axel Dieter Jr./Thatcher, and Tommy End/Chris Sabin). Those three matches all had at least one guy if not two or who knew how to fill a 10+ minute match appropriately. For the most part, the execution supported that idea. On the flip side, none of the sub-10 minute matches felt like they were too short at all.

Best Performance by a US based wrestler: Timothy Thatcher had the best performance out of a field that also included Andrew Everett, Chris Sabin, Uhaa Nation, and Cedric Alexander. His match versus Dieter Jr. was no worse than the third best match on the card. The usual Thatcher match in the sense he was solid or better on the mat and subpar or mediocre while not working holds. I don't think Thatcher is quite the total package (yet) and that was reflected here, but he was probably the most solid of the US indie guys. Dieter Jr. is a young and very game wrester who recently has shown the ability to hold his own in mat based exchanges. He's had a good start to 2015 with good outings versus Tommy End & Drew Gulak in January. wXw clearly sees him as a future top guy. He and Thatcher worked well together in the submission heavy parts of the amtch. Thatcher's strikes and other stand up offense still struck me as the weaker part of his game (and something he should try to minimize as much as possible) but this was his usual solid performance.

Biggest Surprise: Chris Sabin. I have never been a big fan of Chris Sabin and (right or wrong) had written off him off as being sub-replacement level at this point in his career. I thought he wrestled a good match against Tommy End, however. He took End's offense reasonably well. More importantly, I thought Sabin's own offense worked in the context of what they were going for (End getting a convincing win over a US "star") and that surprised me. His comebacks and hope spots were engrossing and he didn't try to do to much. The match was the 2nd or 3rd best of the night, right in line with the Thatcher/Dieter Jr. match.

Best Match: Zack Sabre Jr. vs. Axel Tischer. There was very little separation during the first seven minutes. Basically all hold and counter holds during that time with Sabre leading the way and Tischer more than holding up his end. I think they ran the ropes once or twice in the final minutes (they also did some corner charges) but that was about it. There were a few times where I thought they took a misstep. There was a strike exchange that I thought they handled relatively well, but something that I still thought disrupted the flow just a tad. There was a no sell spot that was totally unneeded and an awkward looking top rope spot right before the finish, but overall, this was very good. I want to watch it again to see how good, but definitely match of the night. I thought Sabre was very good here and Tischel kept up. Loved the opening stuff and the finish. In between was a mixed bag, but leaning towards good. If you like the Thatcher/Busick/Gulak/Sabre stuff, this is worth seeing. I think Sabre is the best of that group so I was predisposed to like this match but I think it holds up on its own merits.

Everything else was "just there". As said, the other matches were kept relatively short so no big complaints. Looking forward to the next three rounds.

So check this shit out...a promotional war is coming to my town on April 11th which is hilarious

On one side we have Buff Bagwell & Paul Lee

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=934945369879713

And on the other side we have Wes Brisco, Mike Knox, Luke Gallows, Tama Tonga, and HAKU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10205454302973649