Modern Indie Wrestling

concrete1992

• Replies 530
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Progress Super Strong 16 Night 2

Will Ospreay vs Mark Haskins

A pretty fun match. I enjoy both wrestlers. They're cutting a pace with a lot of hot moves.Finally Haskin's targets the leg. Ospreay should slow down a peg, and let his hot moves breathe. Ospreay has a lot of talent. He's had really good matches this year with good wrestlers like Styles, and Matt Sydal. Those 2 were able to reign in Will Ospreay. Haskins was good, and the match was good. I was bothered by Ospreay's comeback and not giving Haskins enough time to get heat on him The false finishes was over kill. 2 3/4*

Roderick Strong vs Rampage Brown

Strong just stalling like a pro trying to control this snarky crowd. Strong working the back. I like Strong slowing the pace to shut this crowd down.I thought the crowd actively took away from the match. 2 1/2*

Marty Scrull vs Dave Mastiff

This will be a styles clash and a good barometer of how good Scrull is. Big vertical suplex that the crowd chants we lost count. Nasty running dropkick by Mastiff. Scrull attempting to get heat on Mastiff was fun. Scrull using foot stomps are smart. This really is an entertaining match. They made the styles clash work 2 3/4*

Zach Sabre Jr. vs Tomasso Ciampa

Some real good chain wrestling to start. Sabre Jr. with some flashy offense. Ciampa with a running knee strike to turn the tide.Ciampa beatimg him down. Sabre Jr. hooks in a submission that Ciampa escapes. Sabre after the arm. Ciampa cuts him off. Sabre makes a comeback with kicks to the arm. Fujiwara by Sabre and Ciampa makes the ropes. Big knee by Ciampa. This is boiling down to the striking of Ciampa vs Sabre's arm work. Loved Ciampa's counter into the knees. Strike exchange of course Ciampa has the advantage, but Sabre Jr. gets a submission out of nowhere. 3 1/4*

I'll finish this later

Attended IWC Super Indy tonight.

3 strong matches on the show.

Cedric Alexander vs Sugar Dunkerton

Trevor Lee vs Andrew Everett

Cedric Alexander vs Raymond Rowe

Probably wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea, but if you like any of those guys, worth checking out when it is available. Can't say a whole lot for the rest of the show.

Progress Super Strong Style Night 2 continued

Strong vs Ospreay 3 1/4*

Sabre Jr. vs Scrull 4 *

Sabre Jr. vs Ospreay. 3 1/2*

Night 2 had really good wrestling up and down the card. Sabre Jr. was MVP . It's worth checking out. Progress did a good job here. I had written some thoughts but did a power nap and my finger was on the delete key. lol

Went to the APW show this weekend, wrote it up:

http://segundacaida.blogspot.com/2015/06/apw-61215-war-at-shore-road-report.html

Saw the PREMIER show got posted with a bunch of the same guys on it (but it was in Gilroy, which is 2 hours away from me, as opposed to the APW show in South SF, about an hour). I think I'll check it out and write that up too, since I've seen these guys more than most on here.

In a nice bit of BritWres news, the first two entrants for BOLA have been announced as Will Ospreay and Marty Scurll. Ospreay isn't my favourite UK guy, but given that he'll only have a weekend to make an impression, he's someone who has enough flashy highspots to get over. Marty is a guy whose biggest US exposure is overshooting Jessie Godderz on a suicide dive on an episode of Impact, but his evolution since then has been great, and I'm sure he'll put in a good showing. Also, Marty being there makes it more likely his long-time tag partner Zack Sabre Jr will show up as well.

Went to the APW show this weekend, wrote it up:

http://segundacaida.blogspot.com/2015/06/apw-61215-war-at-shore-road-report.html

Saw the PREMIER show got posted with a bunch of the same guys on it (but it was in Gilroy, which is 2 hours away from me, as opposed to the APW show in South SF, about an hour). I think I'll check it out and write that up too, since I've seen these guys more than most on here.

The PREMIER show was a lot of fun.

It appears that Josh Alexander is retiring at next month's Alpha-1 show. Absolutely sucks. Has had neck problems and is a new father. Has more important things to worry about obviously. Just stinks incredibly bad.

That stinks, he could had made it to the wwe

ROH is running in Atlanta the same weekend as BOLA. I know that ROH was pulled all contracted talent from PWG ,

. I guess all the other ROH guys will be in Atlanta. Which is good for PWG . The ROH vs. WWN Live matches have about run their course .Now PWG is being forced to bring in fresh talent , which is good for the business. Now they can book the TNA talent , bring in some UK talent , some Japan talent , AAA talent and some up and comers from the indies.

It is a win / win for everone. The fans get to see new talent , some new guys get a break and the ROH guys get a full time job in wrestling.

Absolutely agreed. Some of my favorite "phases" of PWG are when they have to intro new talent off the heels of their usual guys getting signed. It's a cycle that they've sustained the whole way through.

Plus the send-offs are almost always handled with class, and the new guys generally bust their asses to make a good first impression. Win/win for sure.

Okay, so the new grappling initiative is awesome. Absolutely love it with guys like Thatcher, Busick, and, the important lad for this post, Gulak really driving it home in EVOLVE. Gulak could very well be leading us to an era in indie wrestling where there's a multitude of these types of wrestlers populating the scene, or at the very least can work a grappling based style. Evident in his work with Dojo Wars which has some real fun matches on the whole but when they crank up the grappling they can crank out a CRACKIN' match. Looking at a guy like Conor Claxton as a potential technical deathmatch worker gets me real pumped to see wrestlers that probably wouldn't even touch the style adapt it into environments you would least expect. Really making this post to point to what I am calling one of my favorite indie matches of the year and is up there with Gulak vs. Hero as my #1 indie match. Maybe would have to look at my EXCEL to make sure I'm not forgetting something but YEAH this is good.

Conor Claxton/Frankie Pickard vs. Drew Gulak/Tracy Williams.

The death match correlation is an interesting one. A lot of the present day heavy grapplers (Thatcher, Gulak, Gacy, Claxton, Busick) either started in death matches or have significant backgrounds in them. Overall though, I'd say you're spot on about Gulak. As much as I love Thatcher as a wrestler, when it comes to making the style more prominent Gulak is head and shoulders above the rest. He's training an entire generation of wrestlers to focus heavily on and be proficient in that style.

Agree with the points above about Gulak, and I amazed it took this single Dojo Wars match to move him about Thatcher for me as a favorite worker in this particular style. Also, I fully appreciate that Gulak used this environment to try out new things I haven't seen yet like the wacky double underhook spinning submission. I've also decided, based on this match, to seek out more Frankie Pickard just out of respect for the beating the young man took here. Great stuff in this match, and I really hope a lot more folk check it out.

If you haven't liked the Scenic City Invitational page, I'd appreciate it if you did. I'm not involved in the promotion of the show (well, not officially anyway), but I really want it to succeed as it is a first of it's kind type of event. I'm going to start reviewing a match from each participant in the next few days. If the likes on the facebook page get up to 450, the promoter will announce the next entrant.

https://www.facebook.com/ScenicCityInvitational?fref=ts

I watched the Styles vs Rave match that Dylan went to see and was impressed with. He's pimped it on his twitter.

AJ Styles vs Jimmy Rave 5/8/15

This had an old school feel to it. Early in the match we see Styles working the arm. As a counterpoint to that Rave focused on the neck. This gave the bout depth and actually allowed it a base to work off of. A great old school touch that I could easily see Flair do in 85 was AJ slipped on part of the mat. He gathered his senses then yelled at the ref are you going to clean it up or do you expect me to wrestle around it. Rave was super focused on the neck. He nails Styles with this real nice looking clotheslines. His submission attempts were all directed on the neck area. When Styles and Rave exchanged strikes they looked stiff as hell and meant something. Actually the work here was really layered and built and built upon something.Even the big moves weren't exposed so when they did do them they got over huge and were very memorable. For example Styles rolling rana. I liked Rave's bump that he dinged his leg that allowed Styles to go after the leg . Using his calf slicer submission. Which other than here the announcing was tremendous. At 1st the Calf Slicer stuff timing seemed off, but they did eventually get it. I liked the build to the finish that saw Rave get some near submissions. He goes for a top rope rana that Styles counters into a top rope Styles Clash for a win. The match was paced so everything could digest and get over. Everything the wrestlers did made sense in the story being told. I actually thought Rave was right at Styles level which was the story they told too. The announcers filled in great details about their history with one another that added a lot to the story. My only real complaint was Rave's lack of facials. It came across very Dory like. If Rave gave us more facially the struggle would have gotten over more. 4*

You can get the match here.

Watch @AJStylesOrg vs @TheJimmyRave on VOD for as low as $1.99 by using Promo Code STYLES15 - https://vimeo.com/ondemand/ajstylesvsjimmyrave

I went to Inspire Pro wrestling and they really put on a great show. They mixed up a lot of good wrestling, entertaining things, and really strong angles. The real standout matches were.

1.SIX MAN TAG TEAM MATCH: “One Man” Mike Dell, “Untouchable” Alex Reigns & Moonshine Mantell vs. The World Class Syndicate (“The Texas Lion” Carson & “The Pride Of Professional Wrestling” Barrett Brown) & A Mystery Partner

A super heated all action brawl that morphed into a Soouthern tag that saw 2 heat segments. Then morphed back into a brawl. My match of the night.

2.Ray “Death” Rowe vs. “The American Psycho” Lance Hoyt

Straight up hoss battle. This was fantastic. Archer is a tremendous heel, and knows how to work the crowd. He told me to shut up a couple times. Rowe has an bad ass aura about him.

JoJo Bravo vs. Teddy Hart vs. vs. El Mariachi Loco

This was your crack cocaine match. Teddy does all the little things right as being a polished worker. All of his stuff looked like it would kill you.

INSPIRE PRO CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH: “Dirty” Andy Dalton © vs. “Just” Steve’O Reno

A very entertaining main event. Dalton is a heel's heel. O'Reno has a ton of potential.

“Bleeding Heart” Davey Vega vs. “Kid Gorgeous” Donovan Danhausen

This was a solid opener. They had a couple of timing issues . Danhausen has been working about 7 months and is a guy with great upside. Vega is a solid hand in the ring.

We saw a great angle with the returning Matthew Palmer The 2nd part of the angle not so much. . Another great angle and a shocker to the crowd was the returning Sammy Guerrva. I also loved Keith Lee's promo . He cut a killer one and had a great staredown with Scott Summers.

I missed 2 matches charging my phone and other things.