Pro Wrestling Only

Good Will Wrestling: Fixing the WWE Network Part Two

soup23

August might be my month.

With the Summerslam Reaction, more Fixing the WWE, Grimmas's show, a P2B Summerslam 2010 rewind, and episode of WTBBP, and trying to get together with the Culture crew and my man, Johnny P.... you'll be sick of me soon enough if you aren't already. Having said that, Dylan will be on the majority of the shows I just mentioned so he may wear the crown 2 months running.

WWE released a WrestleMania III Championship Edition DVD years back, it was basically WrestleMania III done pop-up video style. It had some build featured in the extras. Do SummerSlam 1998 just like that. You don't even have to go crazy with the build segments, just a little bit of padding/interviews to even out the block to three hours.

Good point about confusing your audience by advertising stuff like this. If I'm a casual fan, I would wonder why SummerSlam 1998 is being advertised in a specific time slot when I can watch it at anytime. Maybe I would assume that there's extra stuff added like what I mentioned above, then I would be disappointed when it's the same show. Kind of what you guys mentioned about not exactly false advertising, but close.

Chief, this doesn't even feel like rocket science. I was only half joking when I said that WWE could hire me, Charles and Chris and we would make it an appealing playground for wrestling fans. Hell, we have only a few ideas on the show but there were other ideas from Dylan and Kris (on the ill fated original Part 2) that we could have mentioned or maybe we stole some of their ideas. There are tons of great ideas in Network threads across multiple message boards and most of them seem pretty cost-effective. I mentioned it in the podcast but I really think it is a combination of hubris and lack of respect for their audience that they haven't been able to call this a success.

I wish the network would have a nightly roll out system of the old stuff or any other promotion they own. Every Monday is World Class, Tuesday is AWA, Wednesday is Mid South, Thur is ECW etc. They could do two shows a week and have enough footage to last a really long time. Plus you could follow a promotion chronologically on a set time and it would feel fresh.

WWE released a WrestleMania III Championship Edition DVD years back, it was basically WrestleMania III done pop-up video style. It had some build featured in the extras. Do SummerSlam 1998 just like that. You don't even have to go crazy with the build segments, just a little bit of padding/interviews to even out the block to three hours.

Good point about confusing your audience by advertising stuff like this. If I'm a casual fan, I would wonder why SummerSlam 1998 is being advertised in a specific time slot when I can watch it at anytime. Maybe I would assume that there's extra stuff added like what I mentioned above, then I would be disappointed when it's the same show. Kind of what you guys mentioned about not exactly false advertising, but close.

I definitely enjoyed that Championship Edition, and it would be quite easy to do on the Network.

I sign into the Network almost every day! Usually watch/have in background on my Kindle when at work. Excellent show guys. There were some great ideas being thrown around. I never watch the live stream so the theme days/nights and Liquid TV stuff would be great. There are times at night where I want to throw something on but can't decide. I wish there was a random option where you push a button and it will load something for you. If you don't like the option you can skip to the next one. Playlists would be huge. Part of my problem is I may not be in the mood to watch a full show. I know I could skip stuff and watch specific matches but then if there is no chapters this is a pain to skip around to what I want to see. With the budget cuts I wonder what effect this will have on content update and overall upgrades to Network. There is still work to be done but you do wonder about how patient subscribers will be and well WWE too if not enough people are signing up or extending.

Great show - a must listen. I think the WWE's internal hurdles (couple in budget cuts now) around implementation and resources are what holds this back.

As for cancelling, Chris didn't mention it (and I know it isn't lost on him) but I think there's a large group that cancel because of technical issues (still) - and they are their OWN tech issues. The stream can be great, but every end-user is different given their internet, router, and device.

As a consumer, I log in a couple times a month, but especially for "special events" so they have my $9.99. As someone who routinely paid $55 to in part review shows last year, it's hard for me to relate to those who don't feel there is enough unique stuff outside the PPVs to warrant their money. Not that I don't think they should work on unique offerings to get repeated sign-ins.

The one thing I don't get is how heavily featured the first season of Total Divas is on the Network. E! is a perfect place for that show, and while I get they already spent a ton to produce this content, who is signing up for the Network to watch this particular program? Keeping them in the vault is fine but they are on the live stream a good bit, which totally misses the mark imo.