Pro Wrestling Only

Good Will Wrestling: Fixing the WWE Network Part Two

soup23

Will is joined by his co-host Charles (Wrestling With the Past) and wrestling’s #1 number cruncher Chris Harrington (http://indeedwrestling.blogspot.com) to dissect the latest numbers on the WWE Network and what it means moving forward and how it affects other revenue streams. In the second half of the show, we brainstorm ideas on how to improve the content and promotion of the network so it would appeal to all wrestling fans. This is an absolute can’t miss episode of the Fixing the WWE mini-series!!! ​

http://placetobenation.com/good-will-wrestling-fixing-the-wwe-network-part-two/

I don't subscribe to the network but I found this entire discussion to be completely fascinating. The Liquid Television idea was especially compelling as the idea of a hodge-podge of random or loosely-connected wrestling clips sort of mirrors my own viewing patterns on youtube. The analysis of where this venture has fallen short and the ideas to remedy it all make for top-notch listening though. I'm looking forward to future installments and hope you guys keep this series going. Thanks!

I'm listening to this and am around the point where they're talking about advertising Summerslam 98 being shown on a Sunday at 8 and how that's the opposite of how the Network should be advertised. I agree with all the other alternate advertising suggestions and the problems they've had with their current pitch, but I actually think -- if done right -- things like airing Summerslam 98 at 8 on a Sunday and advertising it could be a draw: create enough buzz about it, maybe advertise it starting two weeks out, air some clips of big moments and angles from RAW that built to the show, and push them gimmick that it will be like experiencing what it was like to watch the event live back when it was live, try to get some twitter buzz going and try to make it feel to the fans like they're actually watching this as if it were a PPV today. Do that at intervals with a couple of really big, well-remembered and marketable shows. I don't know if it could be possible to stir up enough buzz to the point where a lot of fans would actually be excited about it, but if done right I actually think that could be a draw of the Network.

I really liked the show so far. I have 20 minutes left . I loved the whole Summerslam theme idea . Those Summerslam panels they're having should be on the network. The liquid t.v is great. Doing themes like old school on Saturdays are great. I agreed with most everything you guys said. I believe in the 3 ring circus when it comes to the network. The only thing I disagreed with was Will idea of putting something on a stream a can't miss thing and waiting a month to VOD it. Feels wrong on a VOD service.

I see the point but in Canada, it will be closer to a regular TV network and the idea was to create regular viewers to the streaming service. Meltzer and Bix had just released info about the Canadian deal and that was fresh on my mind. The live stream will be an important component moving forward even though it has been horribly presented so far.

Now the kiosk idea is great. I'm in retail and we have a shopping card and a app where you get discounts on your groceries. We have a I-pad to sign u up. It's easy and you have someone to help you with it. This should be a must at Live Events. A parent might buy into this pitch more than a kid begging. Actually pushing the price point would be important to parents who aren't fans, but have kids who are. Realizing they've been paying 50 bucks a month vs. 9.99. They should also have demonstrations with the various streaming devices like Roku.

Very good show as always. I'd pay $9.99 for the Good Will Wrestling Network. ;)

I think the problem with the WWE Network at the moment is that we won't see the kind of ideas proposed on the show until (a) they start making a big enough profit from the service that they can afford to invest more in its presentation and new programming and (B) they hire more people with product knowledge who would come up with cool ideas that wrestling fans would pay to see.

I think with the international roll-out and their two biggest shows of the year, they should get to the stage where that can start to happen by the end of Q1 2015, but it'll probably be a very lean period until then, other than adding more Raws and Smackdowns to their library.

Haven't listened yet, but its next after Wrestling Culture. However I think something that should happen is not making all of Raw live.

For example, a 3-4 week 24 type series on Cena-Brock would be a great use of the first or last 30 minutes of Raw.

You were mentioning shows I believe, and you mentioned an athlete you couldn't remember and he would try different challenges . You were saying maybe they should do a show like that with a wrestler. I'm paraphrasing. I thought you had your facts wrong and was thinking of George Plimpton the writer who would try different sports like trying out for the Detroit Lions.

If WWE wants to do special presentations of PPVs, then that's fine. However, WWE needs to add something to the presentations. WWE SummerSlam 98 on Sunday at 5pm? No thank you. WWE SummerSlam 98 on Sunday at 5pm featuring never before seen backstage footage, a complete commentary overdub with the team of Booker T and Kevin Nash, and alternate camera angles?! As I subscriber I'd go out of my way to see something like the second option. The first option. No way.

I also couldn't agree more with WWE treating The Network like the fan clubs of the 90's. Special discounts on merch, first access to Live Event tickets, automatically entered into a 'Date a Diva' contest (and other random contest that pop up), VIP backstage access to a Live WWE event that comes to your town (this would be like a 30 minute meet and great backstage before/after the show), Special autograph signing with John Cena (again, must have proof of purchase of The Network or you are sent home), etc. The gimmicks will definitely increase subscriptions and from there the WWE can tone down the gimmicks (i.e. meet and greet backstage).

The majority of the gimmicks proposed will not cost WWE any money and will increase the chances for them to make a nice buck on The Network.

That reminds me.. .part 3 of Fixing WWE featuring Dylan.

COMING SOON!!!!

Ha. I was scrolling down to make this very joke. Joke?

No joke. We are going to tackle booking/creative (along with the great Cena Heel Turn debate) and production. We may even do an NXT/future prospects show.

This show was so good that I feel like never turning on the Network again. Some of those ideas were so basic that it's unfathomable that in the first 6 months WWE implemented exactly none.

Thanks man, that's a huge compliment!!!

I also couldn't agree more with WWE treating The Network like the fan clubs of the 90's. Special discounts on merch, first access to Live Event tickets, automatically entered into a 'Date a Diva' contest (and other random contest that pop up), VIP backstage access to a Live WWE event that comes to your town (this would be like a 30 minute meet and great backstage before/after the show), Special autograph signing with John Cena (again, must have proof of purchase of The Network or you are sent home), etc. The gimmicks will definitely increase subscriptions and from there the WWE can tone down the gimmicks (i.e. meet and greet backstage).

The majority of the gimmicks proposed will not cost WWE any money and will increase the chances for them to make a nice buck on The Network.

All good ideas and all EASY to implement!!!!

I'm one of the guilty party who does sign into the network daily. I might not watch something, but I'm constantly looking at the schedule hoping new content is added that piques my interest.

I did that early on but stopped expecting anything good to pop up about 2 months in.