Pro Wrestling Only

Matt D's Where the Big Boys Play: The Column Beyond Ongoing Thread

Thanks a lot. I remember looking at your show reviews back all the way back in 2010 when I was working on the Demolition Project and they were definitely useful at the time. I don't envy you proofreading whatever comes out of my head though. I type faster than I think. That said, I do have some ideas for Halloween Havoc that I'm looking forward to trying to crack.

Just wanted to chime in and say I enjoyed the piece and the view point you bring to them Matt D. I really get the bizarro world thing you mention, I started watching WCW around late 1990 and first knew Bobby Eaton as a singles wrestler and Ricky Morton as the guy that teams with Tommy Rich (and Jim Cornette as that commentator guy from LPWA :lol:). This should be a real good complement to WTBBP.

Thanks a lot for reading. Some of these things you just never kick. I'm not even what I thought of Cornette. I think I saw him in GWF. OR, you know, I actually knew him from the 91-92 Apter mags the most. I had an old one about him and Stan Lane heading off on their own. I had no idea who he was before that.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I made the final format and edit today Matt and as always, top notch stuff. Even though it kind of brought into question that I fit more into the sports bucket side of things. On the flipside of that, I was a huge Hogan guy and disagree with some of the sentiment I have seen of people championing for Hogan because he was a cartoon character come to life. I liked TMNT well enough but that was about the extent of my superhero craze throughout my childhood. Maybe I am just an aberration. I also love how Lethal Lottery has brought so many people together that don't usually see eye to eye (Joe, Steven, and Matt).

I will reluctantly admit that the one element I didn't touch on was the idea of continuity in sports and I think it's because usually people don't think of investing in a team that way, but it is there from year to year, a narrative that builds on what comes before. I don't think it's mutually exclusive from what I was going for as that fit my youth a bit better (I didn't really get into sports in the "I need to watch Sportscenter every day" sense until 92 and I was more or less done with them on that level by 94). In some ways, a MLB or NFL team is sort of a story within a shared universe too.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...