Pro Wrestling Only

[1999-01-16-ECW-House Party] Sid vs Skull Von Krush

Loss

• 2 months later...

Skull Von Krush would go on to be Big Vito in WCW and WWE. Judge Jeff Jones handles Sid's intro. Sid wrestles in jeans, which is a good look for him. The ECW crowd loves Sid, which I don't get considering how much they pride themselves on being smarter than the average fan.

• 1 month later...

So Sid WAS some kind of smark darling right? ECW fans love him, the Garden cheered him over Shawn in 96. Pretty funny knowing that a guy like him would never be a smark favorite today. Sid's jeans look is good and boy does he manhandle Skull here. The botched chokeslam to the outside was something and the powerbombs looked great.

• 2 weeks later...

So Sid WAS some kind of smark darling right? ECW fans love him, the Garden cheered him over Shawn in 96.

He got a huge pop for co-winning the battle royal at GAB '89. He could hardly let Spivey in the ring at Havoc '89 without hearing the "We Want Sid!" chants. Same at GAB '90 and he was with Arn Anderson and Barry Windham, for chrissakes. He could barely turn heel against Hulk Hogan. Actually, reimagining that angle as tweener vs. tweener makes it a lot more entertaining and better-booked.

If Sid had been halfway decent at working to go with his off-the-charts charisma and look, and of course not such a nutcase on the mic and backstage, he would have been a huge star. Bless his goofy heart.

• 6 months later...

I was under the impression that lots of smarks like Sid in an ironic way. He's the kind of wrestler to draw out the inner mark in fans. The mutant farmboy had an awesome image and radiated charisma. Strong alpha males usually go down well in wrestling.

He was ideally suited to squashes, and that was just how he was booked in '99. Von Krush was a suitably jobberish victim.

• 1 year later...

I don't love Sid in an ironic way. He is legitimately awesome as a badass wrecking ball. Oozes charisma and just kills muthafuckas. The segment with Justin Credible at Hardcore Heaven 99 is awesome. I get why he does not draw. At the same think I think he could have been leveraged as a combination of a 911/Andre character that should have ruled the world! I think people would hear those pops and say put the belt on him. I think he is great as a top monster heel for a month or two and then extended run as a monster babyface that just kills chickenshit heels dead.

• 3 months later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1999-01-16-ECW-House Party] Sid vs Skull Von Krush
  • 3 years later...