The Nomination Thread

Grimmas

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Colt Cabana

Danny Dominion and Ace Steel vs. CM Punk and Colt Cabana

Good chance to see a teacher vs. student match here. Dominion and Steel have Paul E. Smooth as their mouthpiece. Prazak is leading out the Cabana and Punk duo. Some mimicking from Punk and Cabana get Steel out of sorts at the start. Cabana and Punk pull a double schoolyard trick where Steel and Dominion take turns tripping over one member. Steel and Dominion butt heads with each other and go out to regroup allowing both Punk and Cabana to do dives over the top rope. Some more comedy results when Steel gets drop toe hold onto the crotch region of Dominion. This results in a derogatory chant from the crowd. Steel and Dominion take over when Smooth pulls the top rope and then punches on Punk on the outside. Dominion is not someone I am that familiar with but he hits a nasty back suplex on Punk to maintain control. I always appreciate Cabana on the apron clapping along and rallying the crowd for the face in peril. Steel and Dominion are doing nice work over Punk and cutting the ring off. Dominion is definitely a more bomb heavy worker as he hits Punk with a flipping powerbomb that Punk didn’t seem to know how to quite take the bump off of. Smooth again is peppering in shots from the outside and Dominion hits a good suplex to pull him back in. A chinlock with Dominion taunting Cabana and a good “go Punk go” chant rises from the crowd. An assisted splash with Ace coming off of Dominion gets a two count and then Ace goes into a headscissors. Punk powers up and electric chair’s Ace but makes a mistake by trying to go on offense on Dominion instead of tagging Cabana. He gets a stiff lariat for his troubles and good looking jumping knee from the second rope. Steel gets cocky putting Punk up top and he sunset flip powerbombs him and then tags in Cabana who does a great hot tag mixing in some Dusty Rhodes with his punches to both men. Cabana’s springboard splash/headbutt and snap powerslam both look excellent and him and Punk both are punching in the corner. Smooth pulls Cabana off and gets chased by Prazak. Prazak gets double clotheslined by Steel and Dominion when he comes into the ring. All four men are brawling on the outside now with Smooth being liberal with his interference. Prazak recovers and dives off the top rope and then hammer Smooth to the delight of the crowd. Inside all four men are down with Smooth comes back with a chair but Prazak has one of his own. They each hit someone on the opposing team and then inadvertently hit their own team member before they both get superkicked with a chair. Punk then hits a fisherman suplex on Dominion to pick up the victory. Steel and Dominion get their heat back with double pildrivers onto the chairs. I thought this was a really good opener mixing in comedy, face in peril sequences, and good use of the managers. ***1/2

Colt Cabana vs. Jerry Lynn

IWA-MS always makes it a big deal when Lynn is in due to Ian being a huge fane of his. I am less of a fan but it will be interesting watching him work with all of the IWA mainstays and see which of the matches hold up the best. Some more chain wrestling to start and they did a good enough job varying it from the one we saw in the previous match. This is worked face vs. face indy dream style so there isn’t any cheapshots taken so far. Lynn throws Cabana down and gets a nearfall. Cabana looks to be going toward Lynn but he thinks better of it and we are at a stalemate again. Colt hits some nice forearms and a dropkick to take over. Leaping forearm smash and powerslam for Colt as he is showing his arsenal of weapons. I got to say that it is endearing of me to see this indy worker Colt from the happy go lucky comedy stylings we see mostly now. Colt stupidly tries to ram Lynn on the apron and we know what the result is there. Lynn throws Colt back inside and they have a reversal sequence that leads to Lynn hitting a bulldog. Lynn goes through his offense and hits a tilt a whirl backbreaker and goes for a Cradle Piledriver. Fish out of water pin sequence ends that segment. That is followed with Lynn hitting a nasty looking German suplex that almost puts Colt away. Colt misses a second rope moonsault. Leaping tornado DDT almost earns Lynn the victory again. Colt is really good at kicking out at the last moment making the viewer bit on the nearfalls. Colt also shows some resilience and hits a neckbreaker. Brent Blades goes down and in a turn of events, Ace Steel throws Colt off the top rope. Lynn was down and didn’t see any of this but he does hit the Cradle Piledriver for the win. After the match, Lynn restores his face status by shoving Steel. Lynn then puts Colt over huge on commentary and Colt cuts a promo on Steel. This was certainly worked indy dream match style and there was a few instances of annoyance and tropes that plague that style, but nothing extensively in this match made me role my eyes to a huge extent and it was effective in getting over Cabana. ***

The Resistance (Chris Hero, Mark Wolf, Todd Morton) vs. The Gold Bond Mafia (Paul E. Smooth, CM Punk, Colt Cabana)

You probably know some of these guys but let’s talk about the three lesser known competitors. I touched on Wolf a little earlier but he was always a great complimentary piece in the promotion that could be relied on in big feuds as we will see vs. Morton and especially Mitch Ryder down the road. Speaking of Morton, he is one of the top five people I am most interested in watching throughout this whole process. A person personifying qualities from Doug Gilbert and Bill Dundee, Morton is an undersized loud mouth that earns the moniker “the biggest little man in professional wrestling” by bringing legit heat and intensity to numerous feuds. Paul E. Smooth (later renamed Chuck) is the #6 guy in this match IMO but he has a lengthy run in IWA throughout the next few years. Cabana and Punk look much younger here than Hero does by comparison. Punk has just started the process of letting his hair grow out a bit. Cabana is sporting frosted tips hanging on to that trend. Dave Prazak is the manager of the Gold Bond Mafia. Punk is on the mic beforehand and calls Hero a monkey, Wolf a referee and Morton a midget in a funny moment. Wolf is wearing a Disturbed shirt to prove to us this is indeed 2001. Morton starts a fight with a Brian Knobbs doppelganger as the bell rings. The opening exchange between Morton and Punk has some comedy stuff but unlike the previous two matches, they don’t let it wear out its welcome and intersperse those moments with some good wrestling exchanges. That is a key difference in making a match drag and in this case feel like an homage to a M-Pro six man from the 1990’s. Cabana and Hero come in and also have a good sequence with everything worked at a faster pace and smoother than what we have seen so far tonight. I liked the trope of tagging in Smooth and Wolf and they just bump heads instead of having an escalating sparring showdown like the previous competitors. This results in all six entering the ring and the match breaks down. Hero and Punk are now paired off on the outside. After a minutes of this, a traditional six-man results with Morton and Smooth in the ring. The Resistance takes over on Smooth and does a good job of cutting the ring off and making frequent tags. Hero is able to hit a big time tilt a whirl suplex and the pin attempt is broken up by Punk. Todd Morton goes for one of his on but Smooth gets a hope spot by hitting a dropkick. Morton regains his bearings and takes over with a suplex as Punk rallies the crowd to start a “Hero’s a bitch” chant. Smooth hits a hurricanrana off the top rope and should have tagged out but he instead goes for the early 2000’s staple, the Bronco Buster. Wolf gets a boot up right into the testical region of Smooth and hits a bridging back suplex. The referee counts the pin and informs the Resistance that both Wolf and Smooth are eliminated from the match due to Wolf having his shoulders down as well. Cabana and Morton start off what has now become a tag match. Hero hits a really good clothesline on Cabana and I am impressed with the fluidly these guys have shown in this match. I will reveal that I have seen some 2001 stuff so far most notably the 8/11/01 eight man tag and this has been much more cohesive and smooth than that match on last viewing. Hero mixes in some nice suplexes and the Resistance is once again in control working over Cabana. Cabana mounts a comeback by hitting an awesome piledriver on Morton that was made by him popping his head right off the mat. Cabana is able to tag in Punk and him and Hero square off. All four men enter the match with the Gold Bond Mafia firing away. Morton is able to send Cabana out and seizing the opportunity, Hero and Morton hit a backdrop/neckbreaker combo on Punk to put him away. Refreshing elimination off a nice double team move without excessive kickouts. Cabana is out there alone now and to add insult to injury, Harry Palmer returns to offer assistance to the Resistance. Hero locks on a Rings of Saturn variation submission onto Cabana but he is able to break free. A jawbreaker allows Cabana a moment of rest but Hero is able to make the tag to Morton. This doesn’t slow down Cabana who makes his comeback and hits an underhook suplex move that forces Hero to break up the pin attempt. Morton stunts the comeback with a backbreaker and double stomp to the knees. Both Morton and Hero are in the ring but Cabana pushes Hero into Morton sending Morton to the outside and allowing himself to hit a schoolboy on Hero to pin him. Morton immediately drags Cabana outside and posts him. Morton with an atomic drop onto a chair in a nasty spot. He follows that up with an elbow smash from the apron and some steel chair shots on the floor. Cabana does a good job firing back and this is not an easy role for him to be the face in considering the size advantage he has over Morton. Morton hits a splash but Cabana is able to float over and pick up the pinfall in around 23 minutes. Resistance jumps Cabana and it’s an attack until the Gold Bond Mafia makes the save with Smooth doing a wild dive onto Wolf and Hero on the outside. This match may have been a tad long and the crowd heat dwindled but it showed a lot of promise and range and was clearly the best thing on the show tonight by miles. ***

Nominating for my comrade El Boricua:

Glamour Boy Shane Sewell

Match Reviews

Glamour Boy Shane v. Ricky Banderas - Ladder Match 2001

Wild, heated, brutal, and dramatic ladder match here. If you are tired of the ladder match tropes you might not be completely enamored with this, but the unique setting helps it, and If this exact same match had taken place in the WWE around the same period it would be remembered as a classic match of it's kind. Both guys really rise to the occasion here. Sure the selling is selective, but not anymore selective than the average match like this, and I actually think Shane introducing some authentic and traditional babyface fire comebacks added to the match a great deal. Shane is absolutely awesome in this taken offense, as he leans into everything, sells everything dramatically, and does a great job making some of the more typical ladder match spots look organic. Banderas drops some absolute bombs in this and does not give a fuck at all - at one point he tosses a ladder from the ring onto Sewell in one of the most violent and dismissive spots I've seen in some time. He also hits some crazy spots off the top, plus a completely insane frog splash off of an awkwardly leaning ladder. The build to the finish of this is really good, as we get a couple of murderous looking electric chair spots by Sewell to Banderas off the ladder, a nice hop spot on a missed elbow drop, Sewell taking the big crotch bump on the ropes, and then somehow fighting back to win by avoiding a shot on the ladder and leaping to wildly pull the title down as the crowd goes nuts. Banderas is really great at these spotfest brawls, and Sewell was excellent in this.

Glamour Boy Shane v. Sean Morley - 1997

Former tag team partners here, in an electric, but somewhat subdued match until the stretch run. Sewell is a very good sympathy babyface and is yet again selling the impact of every big spot really well. A lot of the work in this was relatively simple, but it was good simple that established the stretch run well. I thought they went a bit to "my turn, your turn" down the stretch, but there were some effective near falls especially on the big Morley splash. The finish seemed a bit off to me, but I still thought this was a good match.

Glamour Boy Shane v. El Lobo - 2001

Very good, out of control brawl. Once again you have Sewell taking really nasty and tight looking bumps on guardrail spots and other high impact moves which is his real strength as a worker from what I can tell. He is also really good here reeling off flurries, and he throws these great counter attack punches and kicks when given openings that really get the crowd behind him. I liked the crossface spot as a big drama moment, though I wasn't in love with the immediate counter into it from Shane as a hope spot (wasn't bad, I just would have liked more space between point A and point B). Still this had a real sense of escalation, some cool comeback spots, and a surprisingly satisfying finish when it looked like a screwjob was imminent. Sewell is really good and I wish there was more of his prime easily available online.

Can I make one? I watch ALOT of wrestling. Around 4 hours per day. Maybe half never seen before. And I am definitely up to watching new stuff

Is there a list of up to date nominations?

Can you have multiple tag teams of one wrestler? Owen & Davey, Owen & Yoko etc?

Greatest is subjective obviously right?

And I message my life's work to OP when I'm done tweaking on this half way through Lesnar-Reigns II at Mania 32, right?

Yeah if you are considering voting for someone (or a team) and there is three reviews up you can point to, nominate.

I nominated Fidel Sierra days ago but he doesn't have a thread.

Missed it, sorry.

You are going to have one awesome and bizarre list.

Yeah if you are considering voting for someone (or a team) and there is three reviews up you can point to, nominate.

Missed it, sorry.

Not sure if i'll submit a ballot.

Missed it, sorry.

You've nominated like 20 tag teams and a bunch of solo guys.

Missed it, sorry.

You've nominated like 20 tag teams and a bunch of solo guys.

I want to see what other people think first.