Pro Wrestling Only

The Nomination Thread

Grimmas

Natsuki*Taiyo and Davey Richards match review please.

Finally got around to doing the googling required to find some Natsuki*Taiyo reviews:

http://deathvalleydriver.com/forum/index.php?/topic/1241-2014-yesno-ddt-joshi-and-the-lil-indies/&do=findComment&comment=153457

and she's in one match reviewed in each of these old 411mania articles:

http://411mania.com/wrestling/into-the-indies-11-22-11-dantai-taikou-flash-tournament-part-2/

http://411mania.com/wrestling/into-the-indies-11-29-11-dantai-taiko-flash-tournamet-part-3/

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to nominate Jamie Noble.

(1, 2, 3)

Some of the "reviews" on PWO didn't really have any replies. So here's a few more from off-site:

(4, 5)

I really enjoyed his ROH run as James Gibson including his short title stint.

He's worked against Rey Mysterio, Tajiri, CM Punk, Austin Aries, Daniel Bryan, Samoa Joe, Christopher Daniels, etc. & is someone that I want to revisit after seeing him on WWE TV again lately.

Scott Keith gave Roderick Strong Vs. James Gibson 4-stars from ROH Unforgettable 10/2/05.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Fuck it, nominating Kyle Matthews. Here are a few reviews. I'll do a big write up on him in his thread later.

Jimmy Rave Approved v. Kyle Matthews/Tank Norton/Jessico Blue/Mr. Showtime (Elimination Match) NWA/DSCW 11/3/11

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QD_FKqd5U4s

I absolutely fucking loved this. I have no doubt you could pick this apart as Blue is one of the least physical wrestlers I've ever seen, and this is chalk full of indyish spots, but I thought those spots looked good as fuck. The Rave led team is a bunch of guys I don't know offhand, but they are all in matching gear and come across as a Kaentei'sh heel stable with Rave as a Southern mans Taka Minchinoku. Crowd is fucking bananas for this and Matthews keeps leading them in a stomp/clap "We Will Rock You" beat. They segmented this really well as it went almost 25 minutes and was back and fourth between a more traditional match and a balls to the wall sprint. All the eliminations were believable. Tank Norton is one of my favorite indy guys live and he was awesome here just punishing dudes with his obesity and freakshow spots. Every time Rave and Matthews were in the match was really great and the finishing run with Rave and Matthews was just brutally stiff, with Matthews taking some crazy bumps, hitting a fucking lunatic tope, et before having the win stolen out from under him on a sweet Rave counter. Super enjoyable match, with a tremendous atmosphere. Honestly this is the sort of match that would have been a MOTYC for me if I had seen it live.

Kyle Matthews v. Shaun Tempers - LPN 2/16/13

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeJRObpf3Ew

I thought this was good as fuck, but I am something of a mark for both guys. Matthews is a really good babyface and Tempers is a really good heel and this is a match where they both fit into the script absolutely perfectly. When Matthews is on offense early Tempers is awesome selling the fuck out of his "technician" spots and scrambling like hell to sell the little touches like the finger stomps. It's animated selling, maybe even over the top, but in a packed high school gym in the South, with a crowd that is batshit crazy for the babyface it is the right way to work. I could see some not digging on Tempers offense but I love it because I don't think he did a single thing offensively in the match that wasn't pure heel, whether it was an eye gouge, nasty stomps, tying up Matthews in the ropes, or rubbing his forearm across the face. Even his initial transition was a full rotation, Eddie Gilbert style hot shot which is about as heel as it gets. Matthews is really good selling underneath, while keeping the crowd interested and Tempers has the taunts that you need to work this setting. I absolutely loved the big run of Matthews offense that led to him getting cut off with a Northern Lights Suplex. Matthews took a couple of nice bumps into the corners down the stretch, but man Tempers big nut shot bump on the top turnbuckle was sold great and completely unexpected. Then Matthews fucking decks him with a dropkick while he's still sitting ont he top rope and he sells the fuck out of it too and Matthews has the decency to still sell the damage before rattling off a couple of more big spots for a near fall. The back and fourth interplay off of Matthews offense at the end, also led to a good Tempers near fall and a solid finish. Very good match. Best indy match I've seen this year by a wide margin.

Kyle Matthews v. Jimmy Rave - DSCW 1/27/13

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Yo9pBsTruI...tKiC8GA&index=1

Rave is back with ROH again so I'm not sure how often he will show up on random Southern indies, which is too bad because he was really good in this. Of course I am a Matthews fan, but I was super impressed with Rave in this as he was so good at getting himself into the right spots for the big transition moves and offense of Matthews, on top of the fact that he still radiates scumbag with the best of them. Loved the early bailing on the lock up spot and some of the ways they zipped through counters were really sharp. Rave had tons of snap on all of his offense, including a really nasty looking superplex. The spot with Rave trying to bail out again and Matthews following him through in one motion with the low rope tope was awesome. I also really loved the big battle on the apron sequence, with the sick Matthews bump and great count out spot. I also really liked the finish, as Rave finds himself right in position for Matthews finish and cheats his way out for the win. Not as good as Matthews v. Tempers, but pretty close.

Kyle Matthews v. KT Hamill - DSCW 8/2/13

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9kN-gG08h4

I absolutely loved this, to the point where it's probably in my top tier of U.S. indie matches so far this year. Both guys are guys I dig a lot, but they have their flaws and I feared in a face v. face match like this we might end up with them bringing out the worst in each other but I was wrong. The first seven minutes or so of this were totally unlike anything I can remember seeing in indie wrestling this year. I don't want to sell it as an out of this world segment because it really wasn't and this term will probably end up leading to disappointment for some people, but basically it was worked like a redneck maestros match with Matthews working flashier escapes and KT working old school mat spots before coming up to reset. No way in hell this compares to the best Lucha stuff or even close, but it was a really unique way to work a match like this and I liked a lot of it a good bit, especially KT's ragdolling from the wastelock and Matthews working a crossface out of a schoolboy attempt. KT ends up taking over on Matthews back/ribs and he works a variety of old school bases, all of which look pretty decent, though nothing outstanding. The key is it's building heat and the crowd here is completely diehard for Matthews. I liked a lot of the hopespots they worked out of this, particularly Matthews escaping a pinning combo from a body scissors with a rocking chair style hold (and then KT escaping this by pulling his hands forward quickly, sending Matthews head smacking into the mat). They ended up building to the big spot sequence really effectively, with abandoning the selling you want. I really liked how they worked all the highspots in this actually and the finishing run was a rare case of a back and fourth bit that actually saw solid transitions and good enough selling in between to be believable. Also KT sold the fuck out of Matthews corner dropkick and made it look more like a finish than anyone has all year. There were a few brief moments where I thought both guys selling could have been a bit better, and I wish Hamill had hit his boss looking top rope elbow, instead of his middling look big splash off the top (though I kind of love that guys in the South are still busting that move out as a true highspot), but those are minor quirks. I imagine most people will think I am overrating this, but this is my kind of match and a good example of why I am really high on both of these guys.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Has Villano IV been nominated? I couldn't find him in the nominee list. He has to be nominated.

Super Nova/Texano Jr vs. Ray Mendoza Jr/Villano IV vs. Casandro/Hijo del Pirata Morgan, 3/16/13

Awesome match. The Villanos give a great ass beating and take a great ass beating. We get brutal chairshots and violent blood loss, great selling, strong near falls, and a near literal suicide dive from Casandro. The finish was another great Villano's moment and the post-match was epic. Yeah, we didn't get all of it but we got enough of it which makes this my current MOTY.

Via Dylan: Angel Blanco Jr./El Hijo del Solitario v. El Hijo Del Santo/Villano IV TXT 2/25/12

Fucking five thousand times YES. I will wait for the pro-shot to be sure, but right now I have this ahead of Casas v. Panther fairly easily. That is not a knock on Casas v. Panther either, this match is just fucking awesome. Totally wild, escalating brawl, with all four guys juicing, some of the nastiest punches ever, some crazy spots and a great finish.

Villano IV was just insanely great here hitting two wild topes where he splatted on the floor, eating some sick chairshots, selling gut kicks and punches like he was being crippled with pancreatitis, showing awesome fire and his own brand of stiffness during the face come back, clinging onto dudes for single legs when he had nothing left to give, et. On top of this the visual of his bloody head was insane as it looks like Abdullah the Butcher after taking shrapnel from a clusterbomb.

The rudos were really tremendous asskickers here, stalking around like total pricks and throwing some savage shots. Blanco has an awesome standoff exchange with Villano IV both during the match and in the tremendous post match brawl that are up there with my favorite moments in wrestling in the last ten years. Solitaro has been a great foil for Santo over the last couple of years and really was tremendous, coming off as a guy livid at the existence of Santo in particular. At one point he crushes him with a punch to the chest that Santo sells like Solitaro is Ox Baker and he is a desperate Fritz Von Erich trying to get more cash flow to pay off his kids coke debts. Later he takes an awesome bump off of a revenge chairshot and his timing on that finishing spot was perfect.

Speaking of which Santo was fucking Santo. He is the real deal. He can take punishment, bleed buckets, hit his highspots, sell his ass off, make his comebacks, et and it never stops being exciting. His dives looked great, he had the aforementioned Fred Sanford sell job, he was just right at playing the victim but without relinquishing the nobility of his name and act. And man that finish. What a champ to take that chairshot and splat after that much blood loss and that crazy a match. Getting stretched pretty tightly for the fall was a nice sacrifice as well.

Post-match brawl with blood soaked guys competing to get hepatitis by smacking each others heads around was also tremendous.

Good luck topping this 2012

Villano IV v. Blue Demon Jr. - AAA 4/19/14
I wasn't crazy about the opening mat work. It was okay, but slower than what I was hoping for. Then they started slapping each other, and I got more interested. There were some pretty great rights thrown and bloody mask ripping. Those things are always good. My favorite parts of the match were Demon's offense, cut offs, and big spots. The spear and launching forearm were fucking awesome. Later, he hits a good dive and breaks out a top rope frankensteiner. Villano IV was excellent selling througout and hit a couple of awesome rights. His offense seemed a bit more tepid than usual, but I forgive him because he bled and sold so well. The arm bar sequence and final submission sequence were both cool as shit. Yeah, I liked this a whole lot, and it got better as it went along.

There were live threads here last year with more than 3 Batista matches reviewed. I think people should nominate anyone who they would even vaguely consider. Covers all bases and adds to discussion.

I agree, anyone that you would consider voting for should be nominated. The Batista thread has been made.