Pro Wrestling Only

Sami Zayn

Grimmas

^ Even better, you can seek out their rematch - with the roles reversed - and I think it plainly illustrates that Generico is simply so much better in a babyface capacity. Ricochet plays the more arrogant rising upstart routine, and Generico is the gatekeeper babyface looking to prove he's still the top dog - even if he's a half-step behind or a split-second slower. It's a fun freaking match.

And yeah. It goes into overdrive at the end and becomes the Generico workrate special or whatever, but it's a lot of fun and lets things breathe a bit. While it's not completely cohesive throughout - with Ricochet looking a little lost at times with too much stalling and gaga - you still get a great structure and story from the match.

That match is WEIRD. Actually, that entire show is weird. Steen and Cage went on third in a title match, then the Young Bucks and Super Smash Brothers followed with one of the craziest matches I've ever seen, and then there's Generico vs. Ricochet II as the main event. I haven't gone back and watched the show in about two years, but while I love both Generico and Ricochet, I came away from that match with no strong feelings. I'm honestly not sure if I liked it or not. I did, however, really enjoy the way the roles were reversed, as you mentioned. I need to go back and watch that soon.

It doesn't necessarily matter, but with a career babyface like Steamboat, you can point to lots of very different matches against a wide variety of opponents over a long period of time. I'm looking for some semblance of what variety means for Sami Zayn, which is why I was asking.

Three matches come to mind from his indy career aside from the brawling stuff already covered. And as for NXT, I think in the Neville and Owens feuds there's a good amount of variety, but that stuff is more accessible.

VS Hero - ROH Glory By Honor VI. This is much more of an early in the card, pure babyface VS heels kind of match. Not so much focused around popping the crowd as it is making them have a rooting interest. Great performances from Hero and the Sweet N Sour stable as well. I remember at the time feeling like this match was pretty refreshing as far as ROH goes.

w/Steen VS Quackenbush/Jigsaw - ROH Domination. Great fundamental tag wrestling in this one. Both teams are fairly fresh to the ROH crowd but they hook them big time. Once again everyone involved delivers here but the Steen/Generico tag team works mainly because of the sympathy that Generico brings.

VS Danielson - PWG Giant Sized Annual #4. Impromptu title defense after both guys have wrestled previously, Danielson against Necro and Generico in a tag title match. The set up adds a lot of drama coming in and both wrestlers build on that emotion tremendously throughout the match. Still a fairly big move style, but due to the fact both wrestlers are beat up coming in it's more focused and heated.

One thing that's consistent with just about any match I've seen in Generico/Zayn's career is that he works an uptempo style no matter if the structure is different, but that also is part of who his character is.

The 2007 ROH Race to the Top tournament was the Generico coming out party as an elite talent. In typical Zayn fashion, he made a miracle run to the end, before falling to the man who has turned out to be his top career foe, in a final that turned out to be an amazing foreshadow, Claudio Castagnoli. Cesaro/Castagnoli is the Tiger Mask to Zayn's Dynamite, the Flair to his Steamboat, the Tanahashi to his Okada. Some pairings just create special results, and i'm sure they'll have a few more classics when they meet on the main roster.

Also i wanted to add a counterpoint to this year old post in case anyone had used it as a starting off point for Generico's indy career. I dislike the work both Generico and Claudio did in that tournament. It felt like they were doing what they thought would best get over in front of ROH's audience instead of what they did best as workers. This can be said of much of Claudio's ROH run but that's another conversation. I think the match they had in the finals is more of a collection of spots and an overblown finishing run than anything else. On the topic of diversity, compare it to their PWG title match where Claudio mercilessly goes after Generico's leg for the majority of it and the big spots feel that much bigger because of how sound the psychology is.

• 3 months later...

Sami is a no brainer.

As Generico he was a tremendous babyface, taking a goofy, surface-level character and making it one of the most enduring on the indies. He's a guy who has incredible charisma with a mask on, and is able to use body language and even his obscured facial expressions to emote better than most guys with uncovered faces. He could get over anywhere on the scene, work singles or tags, more traditional matches or insane modern spotfests, comedy stuff or blood feuds, all kinds of gimmick matches...the works.

And then he comes to WWE, takes the mask off, and it turns out he's been hiding a wonderfully expressive face under it for all these years. Working as Zayn gives him another facet too, that more human, down to earth element. He comes off as such a real, genuine guy. And he brings that into his matches where you're not rooting for the goofy guy in the mask, but rooting for that super swell guy. You just can't help but want him to win things. He's an insanely great babyface.

Matches with Owens, matches with Cesaro, Neville match, Steen feud, Steen team, the Chikara four-way, the rando PWG tags, just everything.

• 6 years later...

Y'know I feel like there's the idea that Shinsuke Nakamura is the proto-typical wrestler who will fall in the overall list for 2026, but Sami (who finished higher than Shinsuke last time) also hasn't done much of anything worth talking about in the period from the last poll to now and probably won't do anything interesting going forward.

Do other people who voted for him last time think the past 6 years have negatively impacted his case? 

I think Zayn will finish lower in 2026, but I don't think it's his last few years negatively affecting him as much as the fact he was on a high when the last poll took place. At the time, he was coming off a great NXT run about to culminate in the highly anticipated Nakamura match, so his stock was at an all-time high. I actually think his main roster run has added to his case - we all knew he could play a great babyface, both with his body language in a mask and with his facial expressions without it. Now we also know he can play a great stooging heel, who knows exactly how to work to that character whilst still having great matches when he needs to. I think more highly of him now as an all-round performer than I did when I voted in 2016, but he wont have the buzz that he did at the time.

• 1 year later...