Pro Wrestling Only

Good Will Wrestling: The Legend of Dick Murdoch

soup23

The missing piece for me of the Murdoch case is still the evidence of him going into territories and working the top names like I showed Ivan doing.

It has been demonstrated now that he had plenty of shots at the NWA title (40+) and plenty of matches (i.e. losing efforts) against Baba and Inoki, but what are the killer Murdoch feuds that helped carry promotions? Like for Ivan you'd point to his stuff with Bruno in WWF, then his stuff against Mil Mascaras in IWA 1975, his stuff with Dick the Bruiser in WWA circa 1977, his runs tagging with Ole Anderson in GCW and tagging with Pat Patterson in Florida, and his feuds with people like Paul Jones, Dusty and Steamboat in Mid-Atlantic. Beyond his Mid-South 85-6 material, what are Murdoch's?

Ivan and Dusty did good business in Houston as well. I have a tendency to hold views in higher regard if they do business across multiple territories.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

THIS IS JUST FROM KRIS’s DATA. IT FEELS INCOMPLETE BUT I TRIED TO GET AN IDEA OF WHAT MURDOCH MEANT FOR EACH TERRITORY HE WAS IN ON A YEAR BY YEAR BASIS. FEEL FREE TO ADD DETAILS WHERE I MAY HAVE BEEN VAGUE OR WRONG BUT I AM GOING TO TRY AND DO SUMMARIES FOR THE 80s LATER.

JAPAN

- Underneath talent and occasional tags against Baba

WEST TEXAS

- Team with Billy Garrett. Worked on top in tag team and against top talent. Up against Funk Sr. (the owner), Bockwinkel, Funk Brothers, Ricky Romero,

HOLY GRAILS

Dick Murdoch vs. Kantaro Hoshino

- HOLY SHIT!!!! Holy Grail!!!!

6/17/68 El Paso, TX @ Coliseum

El Santo & Gory Guerrero beat Dick Murdoch & Billy Garrett 2-0

CEDAR RAPIDS: Working on or near top of the card.

- Ronnie Etchinson, Eduard Carpentier, Dory Funk Jr

MID TEXAS

- Underneath tag team with Dusty Rhodes

AUSTRALIA:

- Team with Lars Anderson. Worked main and co-main throughout run. Opponents include Spiros Arion, Mario Milano, Jack Brisco

QUESTIONS: What was the deal with Cedar Rapids? Was this a way of running Omaha without dealing with a gaming commission? For those that don’t know, Cedar Rapids is right across the river from Omaha and is really one market.

Also ,any info on Ronnie Etchinson?

OHIO, DETROIT & MIDWEST

- Teamed with Dusty in Main and semi-Main positions. Notable opponents include the Stomper, The Curry Brothers, Bobo Brazil & Sonny King, Bill & Dan Miller, Fabulous Kangaroos. Was Bobo in legendary status yet?

FLORIDA

- Teamed with Dusty in midcard early and worked up to main and semi-main positions. Feud with Jose Lothario and Argentina Apollo, Jack Brisco, Funks, Eddie Graham, Dale Lewis. World Title Shot against Dory.

AUSTRALIA:

- Worked main event singles and tags with Dusty Rhodes

FLORIDA

- Worked main events with Briscoes, Dory, Great Malenko, The Grappler, Mr. Wrestling. Occasional tag with Bobby Duncum.

JAPAN

- Featured in tags against Baba & Inoki

WEST TEXAS

- Early in the year, worked as Brass Knux champ. After losing title, worked main and semi-main. Feuded with Alfred Hayes, Ricky Romero, Harley Race , Pak Song as BK champ. Occasional tag partner with Bobby Duncum. World title matches with Dory.

AWA

- West Texas Outlaws look stuck in the midcard or in semi-main positions. Working matches with Billy Robinson, Don Muraco,

AWA

- More of the same going into 1973. Maybe KHawk can elaborate on what was going on with the Outlaws at this early stage while in AWA. They are clearly a step up as you can see them feuding with Bockwinkel & Stevens which sounds completely awesome.

WEST TEXAS

- Picks up where he left off. Main eventing and wrestling for the world title occasionally.

JAPAN

It looks like he is in main event tags against Baba, Jumbo and friends in All Japan. He also has tags with Flair against Kimura and friends in IWE.

WEST TEXAS

- Picks up where he left off. Main eventing and wrestling for the world title occasionally.

QUESTION: Can somebody give me some info on Cyclone Negro? Dude is all over these cards. Who would be a good equivalent for him?

ST. LOUIS

- Wrestling with Race and Koloff against the Briscoes, Pat O’Connor and Rufus Jones. Has single matches with Bruno and Kiniski. That is a lot of world champions running with Dickie.

Overall, Dick was travelling a sick schedule wrestling 3 or 4 territories at once in 1973. He was featured in main event tags or singles in nearly every place he wrestled this year.

ST. LOUIS

- Feuding with Bobo Brazil a lot. Had matches with Baba and Dory.

WEST TEXAS

- Began the year feuding with JJ Dillon. I have no idea where Dillon was on the card at this time. Doesn’t look like he went out of his way much except for a shot in Japan and the St. Louis cards but he was wrestling the big names when they came through West Texas.

FLORIDA AND WEST TEXAS

- This looks pretty impressive since Murdoch is headlining both territories simultaneously. He continues to headline in Florida even when he goes to work for Tri-States. This makes sense since he is feuding with Bill Watts in Florida and Watts probably loved him like a brother from day one.

TRI-STATES

- Looks like he started out in the mid-card to introduce him (unless he worked here before in results we don’t have) and within two months he was beating Bill Watts in Tulsa. Big feuds with Bill Watts and Killer Karl Kox. It also looks like Funk put a bounty on Murdoch’s head.

ALL JAPAN

- Featured in the end of year tournament. Wrestled against all of the top names and had a bunch of draws. I think kjh mentioned this above.

ST. LOUIS

- Singles match with Bruno, tags with Race, Bock and Ox Baker.

ST. LOUIS

- Another match with Bruno. Teamed with Baba and Jumbo against Funk, O’Connor and Art Thomas. That sounds super fun.

TRI-STATES

- Murdoch continues to main event against Killer Karl Kox and new arrival Ken Patera. Murdoch is also going back to West Texas for main event shots there as well. This almost feels like the blueprint for the Memphis Flair-Lawler angle in 1982. Terry Funk puts a bounty on Murdoch’s head. Akbar enlists guys to take the bounty and when Funk arrives in the territory, Murdoch wrestles the world champ.

ALL JAPAN

- Another strong showing in tag matches with Al Hayes and Hoffman as partners.

TRI-STATES & WEST TEXAS

- Still main eventing with John Tolos, Stan Hansen, and Bill Watts. When the champ comes into town, Watts is challenging. Kris shows some random West Texas dates including what looks like the start of a feud with Abdullah the Butcher and a series of matches with JJ Dillon. Then, the results go back to Watts and Dick is challenging for the North American title. Dick is pulling double duty.

Mid ATLANTIC

- In late 1977, looks like Murdoch comes in and is in the mid-card early on. Eventually, he ends up in main or semi-main slots. In the meantime, he is also main eventing in other places like Kansas City, Tri States and of course, West Texas.

TEXAS

- Still main eventing West Texas but Kris has a match with David Von Erich in Dallas. Where was David at on the card in 1978? I know it wasn’t like the explosion of the early 80s but was he already in the main event slots because Fritz was his daddy? He also goes back to West Texas and we see him become a regular in Houston

ST. LOUIS

- Headlining with Brisco, Race and Dick the Bruiser. Sounds pretty impressive.

MID ATLANTIC

- Early on he is still in the mid-card while still doing main event slots for Watts. Still, he beats Flair in March and it looks like they have a nice little feud. By the spring, Murdoch is in a semi-main slot against Von Raschke and his nemesis Patera. By the summer, he is entrenched in the main event or semi-main slot with Flair, the Baron and Masked Superstar. I am also curious to see what was going on in Kansas City throughout the year because it looks like Dick had a SWEET feud with Bob Sweetan.

ST. LOUIS

- This is where it looks like his feud with Dick the Bruiser really takes off.

TEXAS

- You can tell this is around the time he and Mulligan bought into West Texas because they are all over it feuding with each other. I am pretty sure the territory is on its last legs at this point. He is also doing shots in Dallas with Akbar.

ALL JAPAN

- Weird. The results say New Japan when it should be All Japan. Anyway, he wrestled Race, Baba and Jumbo throughout the tour.

MID SOUTH

- Looks like he has some main event slots with Ernie Ladd and also reformed the Rednecks with Dusty Rhodes as well.

It's only the tip of the iceberg. I am just setting a template on which Kris, Bix et al can build on so we can write that Manifesto. I am ignoring guys like Jerry Von Kramer who are pushing for other guys right now at the expense of Dick and focusing solely on Dick. Once we run Dick through the mill we will have a better understanding of where Dick stacks up. I am also working on a rough sketch of the Gordy list that I hope Kris and Bix can help me fill in. I may even enlist people who knew Murdoch to help me fill it in.

I give him good credit for the stuff in Florida in 71, some of the St. Louis stuff, and the Mid-Atlantic run in 78, but I'll be honest, it doesn't look that Hall-of-Fame-y. Depends on how much weight you put on him main eventing in West Texas.

Right, you also ignored his runs in Mid South and Japan. Lets take Dibiase's Mid South run out of the equation. I am sure you would feel the Million Dollar Man was Hall of Famey.

I happen to think that Ivan probably has a stronger case than DiBiase. Seems like Ted mainly went in as a super worker rather than as a draw or anything else, but I think on the face of it -- St. Louis, GCW, Mid-South runs, regular Japan tours in which he was Hansen's partner, and "mainstream success" in major feuds with Hogan and Savage in WWF -- PLUS "superworker" made him feel like a Fiat without putting too much thought into it. I certainly think that without the WWF run, Ted's case looks weaker.

I'm not here to make a HoF case for Ted though, just to put Murdoch's one to scrutiny. Up to 1979, he spent an awful lot of time main eventing in Amarillo at a time when the business was down there, and I don't know if I give that much credit for a HoF case.

I don't really know what to make of the stuff in Tri-States. I have no context for McGurik's territory, or how business was during that time.

He's hurt by these things for me:

- failure to break into AWA main event scene

- no call from New York to challenge Bruno / Pedro / Backlund

- no run in GCW to get on the Superstation

All of it points to him being quite a regional player rather than a national star, who got title shots and runs in Japan owing to his close connection with the Funks. Obviously, it's to his credit that he was able to leverage that to become a significent star in Japan, but there's not a lot about what we've seen on the US side so far that screams "national star" in the same way that, for example, Ivan Koloff's or Ernie Ladd's resume from the same period does.

Let's look at 1981 which my results are far from complete but gives a snapshot of what Dick was doing.

CWF @ Orlando, FL – Eddie Graham Sports Stadium – January 2, 1981
Florida Tag Titles: Mike Graham & Barry Windham d. Bobby Jaggers & RT Tyler ©
Southern Heavyweight Title: Dick Slater © vs. Manny Fernandez
Florida TV Title: Baron Von Raschke © vs. Bobo Brazil
Lights Out Match: Dusty Rhodes vs. Dick Murdoch

CWF @ Fort Myers, FL – Lee County Civic Center – January 3, 1981
Mike Davis fought Gordon Nelson to a draw
Superfly d. Bubba Douglas
Jerry Brisco & Scott McGhee d. The Assassin & The Scorpion
Manny Fernandez d. Bobby Jaggers
Mike Graham d. RT Tyler
Sir Oliver Humperdink d. Lord Alfred Hayes
Dick Murdoch & Dick Slater d. Jerry Brisco & Scott McGhee
Bugsy McGraw d. Baron Von Raschke

CWF @ Melbourne, FL – Auditorium – January 4, 1981
Hiro Matsuda vs. Gordon Nelson
Scott McGhee vs. Superfly
Assassin III vs. Jerry Brisco
Bobo Brazil, Manny Fernandez, Mike Graham, & Barry Windham vs. Bobby Jaggers, Dick Murdoch, Dick Slater, & RT Tyler
Bugsy McGraw vs. Baron Von Raschke

CWF @ West Palm Beach, FL – City Auditorium – January 5, 1981
Manny Fernandez & Barry Windham vs. Dick Murdoch & Baron Von Raschke
Southern Heavyweight Title: Dick Slater © vs. Bobo Brazil
Steel Cage: Mike Graham & Bugsy McGraw vs. Bobby Jaggers & RT Tyler

CWF @ Tampa, FL – Fort Homer Hesterly Armory – January 6, 1981
The Scorpion d. Mike Davis
Bubba Douglas d. Hans Schroeder
Superfly d. Vinnie Valentino
Jack & Jerry Brisco d. Chris Markoff & Nikolai Volkoff by DQ
Southern Heavyweight Title: Dick Slater © d. Scott McGhee
Florida Tag Titles: Manny Fernandez & Mike Graham d. Bobby Jaggers & RT Tyler © by DQ
Dick Murdoch d. Jerry Brisco
Lights Out Steel Cage Match: Bugsy McGraw d. Baron Von Raschke

CWF @ Miami, FL – Miami Beach Auditorium & Convention Hall – January 7, 1981
Mike Davis fought Hans Schroeder to a draw
Assassin III d. Bubba Douglas
Superfly d. Vinnie Valentino
Jack & Jerry Brisco d. Chris Markoff & Nikolai Volkoff
Mike Graham d. Bobby Jaggers by DQ
Bugsy McGraw d. Baron Von Raschke
Dick Murdoch & Dick Slater d. Manny Fernandez & Scott McGhee

CWF @ Jacksonville, FL – Coliseum – January 8, 1981
The Scorpion d. Mike Davis
Superfly d. Scott McGhee
Manny Fernandez d. Assassin III
Jack & Jerry Brisco d. Chris Markoff & Nikolai Volkoff
Manny Fernandez & Mike Graham d. Bobby Jaggers & RT Tyler
Bunkhouse Match: Rooster Humperdink d. Lord Alfred Hayes
Texas Death Match: Bugsy McGraw d. Baron Von Raschke
Dusty Rhodes d. Dick Murdoch

CWF @ Orlando, FL – Eddie Graham Sports Stadium – January 9, 1981
Southern Heavyweight Title: Dick Slater © vs. Bobo Brazil
Manny Fernandez & Mike Graham vs. Bobby Jaggers & RT Tyler
No DQ No Time Limit for the Florida TV Title: Baron Von Raschke © vs. Bugsy McGraw
Ole Anderson & Dick Murdoch vs. Dusty Rhodes & Barry Windham

CWF @ Sunrise, FL – Music Theatre – January 11, 1981
Chris Markoff & Nikolai Volkoff d. Scott McGhee & Vinnie Romeo
Ron Slinker & Cowboy Lang d. The Scorpion & Little Tokyo
Superfly d. Mike Davis
Dick Slater d. Scott McGhee
Florida TV Title: Baron Von Raschke © d. Bubba Douglas
Mike Graham, Bugsy McGraw, & Barry Windham d. Bobby Jaggers, Dick Murdoch, & RT Tyler
Florida Heavyweight Title: Dusty Rhodes d. Dory Funk Jr. © by DQ
Battle Royal won by Bugsy McGraw

CWF @ West Palm Beach, FL – City Auditorium – January 12, 1981
Mike Graham vs. Bobby Jaggers
Bugsy McGraw vs. Superfly
Manny Fernandez vs. Dick Murdoch
Florida Heavyweight Title: Barry Windham d. Dory Funk Jr. ©

CWF @ Tampa, FL – Fort Homer Hesterly Armory – January 13, 1981
Hans Schroeder d. Ron Slinker
Nikolai Volkoff d. Scott McGhee
Superfly d. Mike Davis
Chris Markoff d. Bubba Douglas
Jack & Jerry Brisco d. Assassin III & The Scorpion
Bobby Jaggers, Dick Murdoch, & Dick Slater d. Bugsy McGraw, Scott McGhee, & Barry Windham
Mike Graham d. RT Tyler
Dusty Rhodes d. Dory Funk Jr.

CWF @ St. Augustine, FL – High School – January 14, 1981
Gordon Nelson vs. Hans Schroeder
Cowboy Lang vs. Little Tokyo
Bubba Douglas vs. Superfly
Bubba Douglas & Scott McGhee vs. Chris Markoff & Nikolai Volkoff
Manny Fernandez & Mike Graham vs. Dick Slater & Lord Alfred Hayes
Bugsy McGraw vs. Dick Murdoch

CWF @ Winter Haven, FL – Citrus Showcase – January 15, 1981
Cowboy Lang vs. Little Tokyo
Jerry Brisco & Scott McGhee vs. Bobby Jaggers & RT Tyler
Nikolai Volkoff vs. Barry Windham
Manny Fernandez & Bugsy McGraw vs. Dick Murdoch & Dick Slater

CWF @ Orlando, FL – Eddie Graham Sports Stadium – January 16, 1981
Southern Heavyweight Title: Dick Slater © vs. Bugsy McGraw
Texas Death Match: Dick Murdoch vs. Barry Windham
Florida Tag Titles: Bobby Jaggers & RT Tyler © vs. Manny Fernandez & Mike Graham

St. Louis @ St. Louis, MO – Kiel Auditorium – January 23, 1981
Bob Brown fought Terry Taylor to a draw
Mike & Pat Kelly d. Bruce Reed & Jerry Roberts
Pat O’Connor d. Billy Starr
Dick the Bruiser & Spike Huber d. Ox Baker & Buzz Tyler
Kevin Von Erich d. Big John Studd by DQ
Andre the Giant & Bruiser Brody d. Ric Flair & Dick Murdoch
16 Man Battle Royal won by Andre the Giant & Butch Reed

CWF @ Sarasota, FL – Robarts Arena – January 24, 1981
Hiro Matsuda vs. Vinnie Romeo
Florida TV Title: Baron Von Raschke © vs. Scott McGhee
The Assassin & Dick Murdoch vs. Jack & Jerry Brisco
Ole Anderson vs. Sweet Brown Sugar
Bunkhouse Match: Lord Alfred Hayes vs. Rooster Humperdink

CWF @ West Palm Beach, FL – City Auditorium – January 26, 1981
NWA World Jr. Heavyweight Title: Les Thornton © vs. Hiro Matsuda
Mike Graham & Sweet Brown Sugar vs. Bobby Jaggers & RT Tyler
Jack Brisco vs. Dick Murdoch
Florida Heavyweight Title: Barry Windham © vs. Baron Von Raschke
$5,000 Bounty Match: Bugsy McGraw vs. The Sheik

CWF @ Tampa, FL – Fort Homer Hesterly Armory – January 27, 1981
Mike Davis fought Hans Schroeder to a draw
Superfly d. Reggie Parks
Chris Markoff & Nikolai Volkoff d. Gerald Finley & Scott McGhee
Sweet Brown Sugar d. Assassin III
Jack & Jerry Brisco d. Dick Murdoch & Baron Von Raschke
NWA World Jr. Heavyweight Title: Les Thornton © fought Hiro Matsuda to a draw
Bugsy McGraw d. The Sheik
Florida Heavyweight Title: Barry Windham © d. The Assassin by DQ
Southern Heavyweight Title: Mike Graham d. Dick Slater ©

CWF @ Ocala, FL – Jai-Alai Fronton – January 28, 1981
NWA World Jr. Heavyweight Title: Les Thornton © vs. Scott McGhee
Jack & Jerry Brisco, & Mike Graham vs. Bobby Jaggers, Dick Murdoch, & Dick Slater
Lumberjack Match: Bugsy McGraw vs. The Sheik

CWF @ Orlando, FL – Eddie Graham Sports Stadium – January 30, 1981
Bubba Douglas & Vinnie Romeo fought Hans Schroeder & Nikolai Volkoff to a draw
Superfly d. Reggie Parks
Les Thornton d. Mike Davis
Jerry Brisco d. Chris Markoff
Mike Graham fought Baron Von Raschke to a draw
Bobby Jaggers & RT Tyler d. Gerald Finley & Bugsy McGraw
Florida Heavyweight Title: Barry Windham © battled The Sheik to a double countout
Dusty Rhodes & Sweet Brown Sugar d. The Assassin & Dick Murdoch

Mid-South @ Chalmette, LA - February 2, 1981
Larry Booker fought Terry Latham to a draw
Goro Tsurumi d. Ali Bey
Cocoa Samoa fought Super Destroyer to a draw
Jimmy Garvin d. Paul Ellering by DQ
Ernie Ladd d. Dick Murdoch by DQ
Don Diamond & Junkyard Dog d. Leroy Brown & The Grappler

Southwest @ Amarillo, TX – Sports Arena – February 3, 1981
Tully Blanchard & Tank Patton vs. Chavo Guerrero & Dick Murdoch

St. Louis @ St. Louis, MO – Kiel Auditorium – February 6, 1981
Jerry Roberts & Terry Taylor d. Mike & Pat Kelly
Sandy Partlow d. Karen Harrington
Bruce Reed fought Buzz Tyler to a draw
Rufus R. Jones d. JJ Dillon by DQ
Dick the Bruiser, Bruiser Brody, & Spike Huber d. Bob Brown, Dick Murdoch, & Big John Studd
NWA World Heavyweight Title: Ted DiBiase d. Harley Race © by DQ

St. Louis @ St. Louis, MO – Kiel Auditorium – March 6, 1981
Tom Andrews & Terry Taylor d. The Angel & Nikolai Volkoff
Buzz Tyler d. Tommy Sharp
JJ Dillon fought Pat O’Connor to a draw
Bobo Brazil, Dick the Bruiser, & Spike Huber d. The Angel, Baron Von Raschke, & Johnny Valiant
Dick Murdoch d. Bruiser Brody by countout
Missouri Heavyweight Title: Ted DiBiase © d. Big John Studd

Southwest @ Amarillo, TX - Civic Center - March 10, 1981
Scott Casey d. Larry Lane by DQ
Marie Laverne d. Pepper LoBianco
Ricky Romero fought Dennis Stamp to a draw
Dick Murdoch d. Tank Patton by DQ
Tiger Conway Jr. d. Eddy Mansfield

St. Louis @ St. Louis, MO – Kiel Auditorium – March 20, 1981
JJ Dillon d. Tom Andrews
Bruce Reed d. Ox Baker by DQ
Spike Huber d. Johnny Valiant
Bob Brown & Terry Taylor fought Mike & Pat Kelly to a draw
Rufus R. Jones d. Big John Studd
Dick Murdoch & Baron Von Raschke d. Pat O’Connor & David Von Erich
NWA World Heavyweight Title: Harley Race © d. Dick the Bruiser

Mid-South @ New Orleans, LA - Municipal Auditorium - March 23, 1981
Terry Latham d. Chick Donovan
Cocoa Samoa d. Carl Fergie
Jimmy Garvin d. Larry Booker
Kelly Kiniski fought Mike Miller to a draw
Jake Roberts d. The Grappler by DQ
Dusty Rhodes, Junkyard Dog, & Dick Murdoch d. Leroy Brown, Ernie Ladd, & Super Destroyer

Mid-South @ New Orleans, LA - Municipal Auditorium - March 30, 1981
Terry Latham d. Mike Miller
Tony Charles d. Chick Donovan
The Wild Samoans d. Cocoa Samoa & Don Diamond
The Grappler d. Jake Roberts
Mid-South Tag Titles: Junkyard Dog & Dick Murdoch d. Leroy Brown & Ernie Ladd ©

Mid-South @ Baton Rouge, LA – Centroplex – March 31, 1981
Carl Fergie d. Chick Donovan
Cocoa Samoa d. Mike Miller
The Samoans d. Tony Charles & Terry Latham
Super Destroyer d. Jake Roberts
No DQ Match: Dick Murdoch & Bill Watts d. Leroy Brown & Ernie Ladd
The Grappler d. Don Diamond

Mid-South @ Shreveport, LA - Irish McNeill's Boys Club - April 2, 1981
Don Diamond d. Mike Hudspeth
Junkyard Dog & Dick Murdoch d. Larry Booker & Hans Von Brauner
Terry Latham d. Jerry Caldwell
The Grappler & Super Destroyer d. Kelly Kiniski & Goro Tsurumi
Jimmy Garvin d. Leroy Brown by DQ
Carl Fergie d. Chick Donovan
Jake Roberts fought Super Destroyer to a draw
Jake Roberts d. Mike Hudspeth
Don Diamond d. Hans Von Brauner
The Wild Samoans d. Jerry Caldwell & Terry Latham
Tony Charles d. Mike Miller
The Grappler & Super Destroyer d. Cocoa Samoa & Chick Donovan
Ernie Ladd d. Kelly Kiniski
Dick Murdoch d. Carl Fergie

St. Louis @ St. Louis, MO – Kiel Auditorium – April 3, 1981
Mike & Pat Kelly d. Bob Brown & Art Crews
JJ Dillon d. Art Crews
Pat O’Connor fought Buzz Tyler to a draw
Kerry Von Erich d. Pat Kelly
Bob Brown & Dick the Bruiser d. Big John Studd & Baron Von Raschke
Rufus R. Jones d. Dick Murdoch by DQ
Ric Flair d. David Von Erich

Mid-South @ Chalmette, LA - April 6, 1981
Cocoa Samoa d. Chick Donovan
Tony Charles d. Carl Fergie
The Wild Samoans d. Don Diamond & Jake Roberts
Jimmy Garvin d. The Grappler
Leroy Brown & Ernie Ladd battled Junkyard Dog & Dick Murdoch to a DDQ

Mid-South @ Lake Charles, LA – April 8, 1981
Chick Donovan d. Mike Miller
The Wild Samoans d. Tony Charles & Terry Latham
Dick Murdoch d. Carl Fergie
Super Destroyer d. Cocoa Samoa
Jimmy Garvin d. The Grappler by DQ
Junkyard Dog & Buck Robley battled Leroy Brown & Ernie Ladd to a no contest

Mid-South @ Baton Rouge, LA – Centroplex – April 14, 1981
Terry Latham d. Kelly Kiniski
Cowboy Lang d. Little Tokyo
The Wild Samoans d. Tony Charles & Cocoa Samoa
Jimmy Garvin & Jake Roberts d. Leroy Brown & Ernie Ladd
Dick Murdoch d. Super Destroyer
Junkyard Dog d. The Grappler by DQ

Mid-South @ New Orleans, LA – The Superdome – April 18, 1981 (22,000)
Cocoa Samoa d. Larry Booker
King Cobra d. Bull Ramos
Cowboy Lang d. Little Tokyo
Carl Fergie d. Kelly Kiniski
Luke Graham d. Chick Donovan
Mid-South Tag Titles Tournament – Quarterfinals: The Grappler & Super Destroyer d. Jimmy Garvin & Jake Roberts
Mid-South Tag Titles Tournament – Quarterfinals: Andre the Giant & Dusty Rhodes d. The Wild Samoans
Mid-South Tag Titles Tournament – Quarterfinals: Leroy Brown & Ernie Ladd d. Tony Charles & Les Thornton
Mid-South Tag Titles Tournament – Round 1: The Fabulous Freebirds d. Cocoa Samoa & Buck Robley
Mid-South Tag Titles Tournament – Semifinals: The Grappler & Super Destroyer d. Andre the Giant & Dusty Rhodes
Mid-South Tag Titles Tournament - Quarterfinals: Junkyard Dog & Dick Murdoch d. The Fabulous Freebirds
Mid-South Tag Titles Tournament – Semifinals: Junkyard Dog & Dick Murdoch d. Leroy Brown & Ernie Ladd
Mid-South Tag Titles Tournament – Finals: The Grappler & Super Destroyer d. Junkyard Dog & Dick Murdoch

St. Louis @ St. Louis, MO – Kiel Auditorium – April 24, 1981
Bruce Reed d. Mike Blood
Terry Taylor fought Buzz Tyler to a draw
Spike Huber battled JJ Dillon to a no contest
David & Kerry Von Erich d. Mike & Pat Kelly
Big John Studd d. Pat O’Connor
Bobby Jaggers & Dick Murdoch d. Bob Brown & Dick the Bruiser
NWA World Heavyweight Title: Harley Race © fought Ric Flair to a draw

Mid-South @ New Orleans, LA - Municipal Auditorium - April 27, 1981
Tony Charles d. Larry Booker
The Wild Samoans d. Cocoa Samoa & Jake Roberts
Don Diamond d. Leroy Brown
Jimmy Garvin d. Ernie Ladd
Steel Cage Match for the Mid-South Tag Titles: Junkyard Dog & Dick Murdoch d. The Grappler & Super Destroyer ©

Mid-South @ Baton Rouge, LA – Centroplex – April 28, 1981
Kelly Kiniski d. Carl Fergie
Leroy Brown d. Cocoa Samoa
The Samoans d. Tony Charles & Don Diamond
Louisiana Heavyweight Title: Jimmy Garvin © d. Ernie Ladd
Dog Collar Match: Junkyard Dog d. The Grappler

Mid-South @ Shreveport, LA – Civic Center – May 1, 1981
The Great Kabuki d. Tony Charles
Cocoa Samoa d. Leroy Brown by DQ
The Wild Samoans d. Don Diamond & Jake Roberts
Kerry Von Erich d. Ernie Ladd by DQ
The Grappler d. Ted DiBiase
Super Destroyer d. Jimmy Garvin
Junkyard Dog & Dick Murdoch d. Terry Gordy & Buddy Roberts
Ted DiBiase d. Michael Hayes

St. Louis @ St. Louis, MO – Kiel Auditorium – May 15, 1981
Mike Kelly vs. Terry Taylor
Bob Brown & Shirley Black vs. Buzz Tyler & Sandy Partlow
Rufus R. Jones vs. JJ Dillon
The Bruiser vs. Big John Studd
Dusty Rhodes vs. Bobby Jaggers
Dick Murdoch & Baron Von Raschke d. David & Kerry Von Erich
Missouri Heavyweight Title: Ted DiBiase © d. Ric Flair

Mid-South @ Chalmette, LA - May 18, 1981
Jake Roberts d. Kelly Kiniski
Tony Charles & Carol Somers d. Carl Fergie & Leilani Kai
The Wild Samoans d. Don Diamond & Jimmy Garvin
Paul Orndorff d. Leroy Brown

Mid-South @ New Orleans, LA - Municipal Auditorium - May 25, 1981
Terry Latham fought Vinnie Romeo to a draw
Buddy Landell d. Kelly Kiniski
Jimmy Garvin d. Frank Dusek
Jake Roberts d. Luke Graham
Dick Murdoch d. Super Destroyer by DQ
Paul Orndorff d. Ernie Ladd

Mid-South @ Chalmette, LA - June 1, 1981
Jake Roberts d. Vinnie Romeo
Kim Duk d. Terry Latham
The Wild Samoans d. Jimmy Garvin & Paul Orndorff by DQ when Orndorff walked out on Garvin
Don Diamond d. Luke Graham
Junkyard Dog & Dick Murdoch d. The Grappler & Super Destroyer

Mid-South @ New Orleans, LA - Municipal Auditorium - June 8, 1981
Tony Charles fought Kim Duk to a draw
Luke Graham d. Vinnie Romeo
Paul Orndorff d. Don Diamond
The Grappler d. Jake Roberts
Junkyard Dog & Dick Murdoch d. The Wild Samoans

St. Louis @ St. Louis, MO – Checkerdome – June 12, 1981
Spike Huber d. Jerry Lawler
Terry Gibbs & Rufus R. Jones d. Gene Lewis & Bob Sweetan
Jack Brisco d. Bobby Heenan
Bob Brown & Rocky Johnson d. J.J. Dillon & Buzz Tyler
Dick Murdoch battled Kerry Von Erich to a no contest
The Bruiser & Dusty Rhodes d. Ric Flair & Ken Patera by DQ
18 Man Battle Royal won by Pat O’Connor
NWA World Heavyweight Title: Harley Race © d. Ted DiBiase

Mid-South @ Alexandria, LA – June 14, 1981
Kim Duk d. Buddy Landell
Kerry Von Erich d. Vinnie Romeo
Paul Orndorff d. Tony Charles
Jake Roberts d. The Grappler
Jimmy Garvin d. Frank Dusek by DQ
Tommy Rich d. Super Destroyer

Mid-South @ New Orleans, LA - Municipal Auditorium - June 15, 1981
Kim Duk d. Terry Latham
Luke Graham d. Tony Charles
Tommy Rich d. Super Destroyer by DQ
Junkyard Dog, Dick Murdoch, & Jake Roberts d. Paul Orndorff & The Wild Samoans

Mid-South @ Jackson, MS – Farirgrounds - June 17, 1981
Luke Graham vs. Buddy Landell
Don Diamond vs. Paul Orndorff
The Grappler vs. Jake Roberts
Frank Dusek vs. Jimmy Garvin
Tommy Rich vs. Super Destroyer
Mid-South Tag Titles: The Wild Samoans © vs. Junkyard Dog & Dick Murdoch

Central States @ Kansas City, KS - Memorial Hall - June 18, 1981
Shirley Black d. Karen Merritt
Ron Sexton d. Art Crews
Central States Tag Titles Tournament - Quarterfinals: Terry Gibbs & Bob Sweetan d. Bobby Jaggers & Baron Von Raschke
Central States Tag Titles Tournament - Quarterfinals: Buzz Tyler & JJ Dillon d. Bob Brown & Buck Robley
Central States Tag Titles Tournament - Quarterfinals: Ted DiBiase & Tommy Rich d. Steve Lawler & Gene Lewis
Central States Tag Titles Tournament - Quarterfinals: The Fabulous Freebirds d. Rufus R. Jones & Dick Murdoch
Central States Tag Titles Tournament - Semifinals: The Fabulous Freebirds d. Ted DiBiase & Tommy Rich by DQ
Central States Tag Titles Tournament - Semiinals: Terry Gibbs & Bob Sweetan fought Buzz Tyler & JJ Dillon to a draw but won a coin toss afterwards to advance
Central States Tag Titles Tournament - Finals: Terry Gibbs & Bob Sweetan d. The Fabulous Freebirds

Mid-South @ New Orleans, LA - Municipal Auditorium - June 22, 1981
Buddy Landell d. Vinnie Romeo
Dick Murdoch d. Luke Graham
Junkyard Dog d. Super Destroyer
The Wild Samoans d. Tony Charles & Don Diamond
Jake Roberts d. Paul Orndorff by DQ
The Grappler battled Kerry Von Erich to a DDQ

Mid-South @ Baton Rouge, LA – Centroplex – June 23, 1981
Tony Charles d. Vinnie Romeo
Don Diamond d. Luke Graham
Kerry Von Erich d. The Grappler

Mid-South @ Biloxi, MS - Mississippi Coast Coliseum - June 25, 1981
American Heavyweight Title: Kerry Von Erich © d. Luke Graham
Mid-South Tag Titles: The Wild Samoans © d. Jimmy Garvin & Jake Roberts
Mississippi Heavyweight Title: Don Diamond © d. Paul Orndorff
Junkyard Dog & Dick Murdoch d. The Grappler & Super Destroyer

Mid-South @ Lake Charles, LA - June 28, 1981
Tony Charles d. Luke Graham by DQ
Jake Roberts d. The Grappler
The Wild Samoans d. Junkyard Dog & Dick Murdoch

Mid-South @ Shreveport, LA - Municipal Auditorium - July 3, 1981
Ken Mantell d. Buddy Landell
Don Diamond d. Carl Fergie
Paul Orndorff d. King Cobra
The Wild Samoans d. Junkyard Dog & Dick Murdoch
Jake Roberts d. Super Destroyer
Junkyard Dog d. Paul Orndorff

Mid-South @ New Orleans, LA – The Superdome – July 4, 1981
King Cobra d. Carl Fergie
Kim Duk d. Tony Charles
The Great Kabuki d. Don Diamond
Louisiana Heavyweight Title: Super Destroyer © d. Tommy Rich
North American Heavyweight Title: Paul Orndorff d. Jake Roberts ©
Mid-South Tag Titles: Junkyard Dog & Dick Murdoch © d. The Wild Samoans
American Heavyweight Title: Kerry Von Erich © d. The Grappler
Lights Out Match: Junkyard Dog d. Paul Orndorff

Mid-South @ Alexandria, LA - July 5, 1981
Don Diamond d. Vinnie Romeo
Jimmy Garvin d. Carl Fergie
The Great Kabuki d. King Cobra
Kerry Von Erich d. Kim Duk
Tommy Rich d. The Grappler
Paul Orndorff d. Jake Roberts
Andre the Giant, Junkyard Dog, & Dick Murdoch d. Super Destroyer & The Wild Samoans

Mid-South @ Monroe, LA - July 5, 1981
Ken Mantell d. Tony Charles
Jimmy Garvin fought Kim Duk to a draw
The Great Kabuki d. King Cobra
Kerry Von Erich d. The Grappler by DQ
Andre the Giant d. Super Destroyer

Mid-South @ Lake Charles, LA - July 6, 1981
Ken Mantell d. Tony Charles
Jake Roberts d. Kim Duk
Jimmy Garvin d. Super Destroyer by DQ
Kerry Von Erich d. The Grappler
Andre the Giant, Junkyard Dog, & Dick Murdoch d. Paul Orndorff & The Wild Samoans

Mid-South @ Baton Rouge, LA – Centroplex – July 7, 1981
Kerry Von Erich d. Kim Duk
The Grappler d. Jimmy Garvin
Mid-South Tag Titles: Junkyard Dog & Dick Murdoch battled The Wild Samoans to a no contest

Mid-South @ Jackson, MS – Fairgrounds – July 11, 1981 (9,335)
The Great Kabuki d. Buddy Landell
Jimmy Garvin d. Carl Fergie
The Grappler d. Ted DiBiase
Mississippi Heavyweight Title: Don Diamond © d. Frank Dusek who shaved his stache.
American Heavyweight Title: Kerry Von Erich © d. Kim Duk
Mid-South Tag Titles: Junkyard Dog & Dick Murdoch d. The Wild Samoans © by DQ
Andre the Giant d. Super Destroyer
Lights Out Match: Junkyard Dog d. Paul Orndorff

Mid-South @ Lafayette, LA - July 12, 1981
Kim Duk d. King Cobra
Andre the Giant & Dick Murdoch d. The Wild Samoans
Junkyard Dog d. Paul Orndorff

Mid-South @ Baton Rouge, LA - Centroplex - July 12, 1981
Carl Fergie d. Buddy Landell
Ken Mantell d. King Cobra
Kim Duk d. Tony Charles
Don Diamond fought The Grappler to a draw
Jimmy Garvin d. Super Destroyer by DQ
Andre the Giant d. Ernie Ladd

Mid-South @ New Orleans, LA - Municipal Auditorium - July 13, 1981
Kim Duk d. Vinnie Romeo
The Grappler d. Don Diamond
Dick Murdoch fought Super Destroyer to a draw
The Wild Samoans d. Jimmy Garvin & Jake Roberts
Junkyard Dog d. Paul Orndorff by DQ

Mid-South @ Loranger, LA - July 14, 1981
Carl Fergie d. Vinnie Romeo
Don Diamond d. Kim Duk
Jimmy Garvin d. Super Destroyer
Jake Roberts d. Paul Orndorff by DQ

St. Lous @ St. Louis, MO – Kiel Auditorium – July 17, 1981
Bob Brown fought Buzz Tyler to a draw
Joyce Grable & Wendi Richter d. Suzette Ferreira & Jill Fontaine
Bob Sweetan d. Gene Lewis
Jack Brisco, Dick the Bruiser, & Kerry Von Erich d. Dick Murdoch, Ken Patera, & JJ Dillon
Ric Flair d. Pat O’Connor
Missouri Heavyweight Title: Ted DiBiase © d. Baron Von Raschke
Mid-South @ Monroe, LA - July 26, 1981
Mid-South Tag Titles: The Wild Samoans d. Junkyard Dog & Dick Murdoch ©

Mid-South @ New Orleans, LA - Municipal Auditorium - July 27, 1981
Kim Duk d. Tony Charles
The Grappler d. Buddy Landell
Jimmy Garvin d. Ken Mantell
Super Destroyer d. Jimmy Garvin in :48
Junkyard Dog, Dick Murdoch, & Bill Watts d. Ernie Ladd & The Wild Samoans

St. Louis @ St. Louis, MO – Kiel Auditorium – August 7, 1981
Buzz Tyler & JJ Dillon d. Ron Sexton & Bob Sweetan
Bobo Brazil d. Gene Lewis by DQ
Pat O’Connor d. Bobby Jaggers
Dick the Bruiser & Kerry Von Erich d. Dick Murdoch & Baron Von Raschke
Rocky Johnson fought David Von Erich to a draw
Jack Brisco battled Ken Patera to a no contest
NWA World Heavyweight Title: Dusty Rhodes © d. Ric Flair

Mid-South @ Baton Rouge, LA – Centroplex – August 11, 1981
Jimmy Garvin & Kerry Von Erich vs. Kim Duk & Ken Mantell
Mid-South Tag Titles: The Wild Samoans © vs. The Grappler & Super Destroyer
North American Heavyweight Title: Paul Orndorff © vs. Buck Robley
Lights Out Match: Ernie Ladd vs. Dick Murdoch

NJPW @ Kushima, Japan – August 29, 1981
Tiger Mask d. Brazo de Oro
Riki Choshu d. El Solitario
Tiger Toguchi d. Jim Duggan
Seiji Sakaguchi d. Allan Coage
Shozo Kobayashi battled Dick Murdoch to a double countout
Tatsumi Fujinami, Antonio Inoki, & Kengo Kimura d. Stan Hansen, Pete Roberts, & Umanoseke Ueda

NJPW @ Tottori, Japan - August 31, 1981
Haruka Eigen d. Black Cat
Ryuma Go d. Brazo de Oro
Seiji Sakaguchi & Tiger Mask d. Jim Duggan & Pete Roberts
Tatsumi Fujinami d. El Soltiario
Dick Murdoch d. Tiger Toguchi by countout
Antonio Inoki, Shozo Kobayashi, & Riki Choshu d. Bad News Allen, Stan Hansen, & Umanoseke Ueda

NJPW @ Yonago, Japan – September 1, 1981
Black Cat & Tiger Mask d. Brazo de Oro & Brazo de Plata
Stan Hansen d. Tiger Toguchi
El Solitario d. George Takano
Riki Choshu d. Jim Duggan
Tatsumi Fujinami, Antonio Inoki, & Seiji Sakaguchi d. Allan Coage, Dick Murdoch, & Pete Roberts

NJPW @ Tsuruta, Japan – September 2, 1981
El Solitario d. Yoshiaki Fujiwara
Shozo Kobayashi d. Jim Duggan
Seiji Sakaguchi d. Umanoseke Ueda
Tatsumi Fujinami battled Dick Murdoch to a double countout
Antonio Inoki, Riki Choshu, & Tiger Toguchi d. Allan Coage, Stan Hansen, & Pete Roberts

NJPW @ Tsu, Japan – September 3, 1981
George Takano & Tiger Mask d. Brazo de Oro & Brazo de Plata
Jim Duggan d. Haruka Eigen
Seiji Sakaguchi d. Allan Coage
Stan Hansen d. Shozo Kobayashi
Tatsumi Fujinami, Antonio Inoki, & Tiger Toguchi d. Dick Murdoch, Pete Roberts, & Umanoseke Ueda

NJPW @ Tokyo, Japan - October 9, 1981
Dino Bravo d. Yoshiaki Fujiwara in 7:53
Dick Murdoch d. Ryuma Go in 4:15
Billy Crusher d. Shozo Kobayashi in 7:22
Hulk Hogan d. Seiji Sakaguchi in 7:21
Tatsumi Fujinami, Antonio Inoki, & Riki Choshu d. Abdullah the Butcher, Bad News Allen, & Steve Travis

NJPW @ Koichi, Japan - October 12, 1981
Ryuma Go d. Don Arakawa
Kantaro Hoshino d. Tim Tall Tree
Gran Hamada, Junji Hirata, & Tiger Mask d. Los Misioneros de la Muerte in 14:04
Dino Bravo & Steve Travis d. Animal Hamaguchi & Isamu Teranishi in 9:10
Billy Crusher d. Yoshiaki Fujiwara in 5:46
Dick Murdoch d. Riki Choshu by countout in 10:29
Hulk Hogan d. Shozo Kobayashi in 6:41
Tatsumi Fujinami & Antonio Inoki d. Abdullah the Butcher & Bad News Allen by DQ

NJPW @ Kure, Japan - October 13, 1981
Dino Bravo d. Junji Hirata
Gran Hamada, Akira Maeda, & Tiger Mask d. Los Misioneros de la Muerte
Dick Murdoch d. Ryuma Go in 4:28
Shozo Kobayashi d. Bad News Allen by DQ
Kantaro Hoshino d. Abdullah the Butcher by DQ in 4:01
Tatsumi Fujinami, Antonio Inoki, & Riki Choshu d. Billy Crusher, Hulk Hogan, & Steve Travis

NJPW @ Kumamoto, Japan - October 14, 1981
El Signo d. Akira Maeda
Steve Travis d. Don Arakawa in 8:08
Junji Hirata & Tiger Mask d. Negro Navarro & El Texano
Tim Tall Tree d. Norio Honaga in 10:48
Dick Murdoch d. Kantaro Hoshino in 8:28
Yoshiaki Fujiwara d. Bad News Allen by DQ in 10:05
Tatsumi Fujinami d. Abdullah the Butcher by DQ in 2:17
Antonio Inoki, Shozo Kobayashi, & Riki Choshu d. Billy Crusher, Dino Bravo, & Hulk Hogan in 14:01

NJPW @ Hasama, Japan – November 1, 1981
Osamu Kido & Tiger Mask d. El Signo & El Texano
Seiji Sakaguchi d. Steve Travis
Abdullah the Butcher d. Riki Choshu
Tatsumi Fujinami, Antonio Inoki, & Kengo Kimura d. Dino Bravo, Masked Superstar, & Dick Murdoch

NJPW @ Nagoya, Japan – December 1, 1981
George Takano d. Akira Maeda
Tatsumi Fujinami & Tiger Mask d. Canek & Super Maquina
Allan Coage & Pat Patterson d. Ryuma Go & Isamu Teranishi
Dick Murdoch d. Yoshiaki Fujiwara
Animal Hamaguchi & Rusher Kimura battled Riki Choshu & Yoshiaki Yatsu to a double countout
Kengo Kimura & Seiji Sakaguchi d. The Samoans
Stan Hansen d. Killer Khan by countout
Andre the Giant d. Tiger Toguchi
Antonio Inoki d. Hulk Hogan

NJPW @ Kohryama, Japan – December 4, 1981
Tiger Mask d. George Takano
Canek & Super Maquina d. Ryuma Go & Isamu Teranishi
Stan Hansen d. Seiji Sakaguchi
Andre the Giant & Rene Goulet d. Killer Khan & Tiger Toguchi
Tatsumi Fujinami & Antonio Inoki d. Animal Hamaguchi & Rusher Kimura
The Texas Outlaws d. Kengo Kimura & Yoshiaki Yatsu
Roland Bock d. Riki Choshu

NJPW @ Fukushima, Japan – December 5, 1981
Tiger Mask d. Black Cat
Andre the Giant & Dusty Rhodes d. Killer Khan & Seiji Sakaguchi
Tatsumi Fujinami, Antonio Inoki, & Riki Choshu d. Afa, Roland Bock, & Allan Coage
Stan Hansen & Dick Murdoch d. Canek & Super Maquina

NJPW @ Sendai, Japan – December 7, 1981
Roland Bock & Rene Goulet d. Haruka Eigen & Rusher Kimura
Andre the Giant & Dusty Rhodes d. Killer Khan & Tiger Toguchi
Stan Hansen & Dick Murdoch d. Tatsumi Fujinami & Antonio Inoki

NJPW @ Osaka, Japan – December 10, 1981
Yoshiaki Yatsu d. Allan Coage by DQ
Riki Choshu & Seiji Sakaguchi d. Rusher Kimura & Isamu Teranishi
Kantaro Hoshino & Kengo Kimura d. Canek & Super Maquina
Dusty Rhodes d. Killer Khan by DQ
Roland Bock d. Tiger Toguchi
Tatsumi Fujinami & Antonio Inoki d. Stan Hansen & Dick Murdoch
Andre the Giant & Rene Goulet d. Tatsumi Fujinami & Antonio Inoki

I happpen to think that Ivan probably has a stronger case than DiBiase. Seems like Ted mainly went in as a super worker rather than as a draw or anything else, but I think on the face of it -- St. Louis, GCW, Mid-South runs, regular Japan tours in which he was Hansen's partner, and "mainstream success" in major feuds with Hogan and Savage in WWF -- PLUS "superworker" made him feel like a Fiat without putting too much thought into it. I certainly think that without the WWF run, Ted's case looks weaker.

I'm not here to make a HoF for Ted though, just to put Murdoch's one to scrutiny. Up to 1979, he spent an awful lot of time main eventing in Amarillo at a time when the business was down there, and I don't know if I give that much credit for a HoF case.

I don't really know what to make of the stuff in Tri-States. I have no context for McGurik's territory, or how business was during that time.

He's hurt by these things for me:

- failure to break into AWA main event scene

- no call from New York to challenge Bruno / Pedro / Backlund

- no run in GCW to get on the Superstation

All of it points to him being quite a regional player rather than a national star, who got title shots and runs in Japan owing to his close connection with the Funks. Obviously, it's to his credit that he was able to leverage that to become a significent star in Japan, but there's not a lot about what we've seen on the US side so far that screams "national star" in the same way that, for example, Ivan Koloff's or Ernie Ladd's resume from the same period does.

What are negatives in your eyes we don't know what went on there politically because there wasn't a WON at that time that was inside or if Murdoch wanted to work there or not. LOTS of big name players didn't work for WWWF back then for various reasons. Also you say Dick was a regional player well look at the 1980 results dump I did last night and look at all the cities around the country he worked in that year.

If you want to make a regional player argument then does that mean that Lawler doesn't belong in the WON HOF

I'm only commenting on the stuff Will was looking at from the 70s. When he talks about the 80s, I'll comment on the 80s.

I think if you're going to go in as a regional player, you better be a really exceptional one and have one something amazing -- whether it be main event for 30 years there and still draw like Lawler or a JYD run or something like that. Rather than, y'know, main event a territory that went out of business.

It's perfectly possible that Murdoch's 80s stuff is stronger than his 70s stuff, I'm just giving my analysis of what Will has said.

I also don't really care if lots of big names didn't go to New York or the reasons behind why Murdoch didn't work there, but if you look at who is in the HoF from this timeframe, a lot of the guys who were big names did have runs in New York. It's a good barometer of being thought of a decent-sized star in the business.

Bill Watts went up there. Hansen went up there. Ladd went up there. Patera did Ivan did. Kowolski did. Blassie did. The Sheik did. Tolos did. Brody. Valentine. Don Leo Jonathan. Slaughter. The NWA champions occassionally went up there.

Some of the big stars who didn't like Verne or The Crusher or Dick the Bruiser were essentially stars in their own big cities in the mid-west. But it doesn't look like Murdoch was in much demand in Chicago either -- unlike, for example, Ivan.

So not in demand in New York. Not in demand in Chicago. And seemingly not in demand in Atlanta. It's starting to make St. Louis do an awful lot of work.

WWF wanted Terry Funk to come in both in 1980 & 1982 for runs against Backlund but in doing so they wanted him to work an extended schedule plus jump from AJPW to NJPW he turned them down both times. Like I said we don't know what the politics were in those days plus you throw in Murdoch's rep outside the ring and like I said we just don't know.

Oh just remembered about the whole Atlanta situation...if you listened to the podcast you may have heard Bix tell the Murdoch in Australia story with Jim Barnett well guess who was the boss for GCW from 1973-82.......Jim Barnett.......when did Dick Murdoch come to Atlanta for the first time......January 1983.

Yeah, I looked through that for a few minutes and didn't get a really good opinion one way or the other. They went on last on some shows where the real main event was in the middle and were second to the last on a lot of cards where the real main event seemed at the end. Then I bowed out by halfway through the year and posted here.

To add to Will's overview of Murdoch's career from 1968-1979:

1974 has Murdoch's shot at Baba's PWF Heavyweight title. Up to this point in history only top tier talent had gotten cracks at the championship (The Shiek twice, Abby five times, Pat O' Connor, Dory Jr. three times, Race twice, Fritz twice, Brisco, Kiniski, Pedro and Terry Funk). Title matches became much rarer from '75 onwards, so Dick only getting one shot isn't as bad as it might seem.

1975: Before the Open Championship League began where Murdoch was heavily protected, he reformed The Texas Outlaws with Dusty Rhodes, which saw them headline a dozen straight shows all over Japan including getting a shot at Baba and Tsuruta's NWA International Tag Team Title in Sapporo. Seems to be Dick's peak as a star in All Japan.

1979: Getting an NWA title shot in Japan against Harley and going to an hour long draw was a pretty big deal. Usually all the title shots went to Baba and Tsuruta. You have to go back to 1975 for another gaijin wrestler (Bobo Brazil) being put in that position.

Three reasons really Jmare:

1. I've researched him quite a bit, so can bring stuff up without looking it up too much.

2. He's a very good measuring stick for what a national star with name value looked like -- i.e. in-demand in all the major markets (New York, Chicago, Atlanta, Florida, Carolinas, etc.). He makes a good basis of comparison for a guy who was around at the same sort of time.

3. What brought a lot of this on was the guys on the podcast, and also Joe Lanza on some VoW shows, casually putting Ivan and Murdoch in the same sentence as being in some way comparable, when I don't think that's the case if you look into it.

THIS IS JUST FROM KRIS’s DATA. IT FEELS INCOMPLETE BUT I TRIED TO GET AN IDEA OF WHAT MURDOCH MEANT FOR EACH TERRITORY HE WAS IN ON A YEAR BY YEAR BASIS. FEEL FREE TO ADD DETAILS WHERE I MAY HAVE BEEN VAGUE OR WRONG BUT I AM GOING TO TRY AND DO SUMMARIES FOR THE 80s LATER.
CEDAR RAPIDS: Working on or near top of the card.
- Ronnie Etchinson, Eduard Carpentier, Dory Funk Jr
MID TEXAS
- Underneath tag team with Dusty Rhodes
AUSTRALIA:
- Team with Lars Anderson. Worked main and co-main throughout run. Opponents include Spiros Arion, Mario Milano, Jack Brisco
QUESTIONS: What was the deal with Cedar Rapids? Was this a way of running Omaha without dealing with a gaming commission? For those that don’t know, Cedar Rapids is right across the river from Omaha and is really one market.
Also ,any info on Ronnie Etchinson?

Cedar Rapids isn't across the river from Omaha, Council Bluffs is. Cedar Rapids is in the east central part of Iowa, which would probably made it part of the Central States promotion. The AWA promoted both the eastern (Davenport) and western (Sioux City) part of Iowa, while Central States promoted the central (Des Moines, Waterloo, and I guess Cedar Rapids) part of the state.

I looked online and there's a "Cedar Park" in Texas. Given the names that are headlining with Murdoch, are the results really from there?