Current New Japan

pol

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's also a little odd to me that they added Ospreay-Okada (clearly the next biggest match they have) to Night 1, which I think is the stronger drawing match (Ibushi-Naito). Not sure what they can use on Night 2 to support a lesser main event with White.

It also feels like they have a lot of work to do to set up the undercard. After the three announced matches, given the way they've booked the big shows, they need 9 more matches, and other than the LIJ grudge match, not seeing a lot of direction towards this.

Junior Title: Ishimori vs. BOSJ winner (seems pretty likely this is Hiromu)

Tag Titles: ZSJ/Taichi vs. WTL winner (FinJuice? GOD? maybe a 3 or 4 way?)

EVIL vs. SANADA?

US Title (or the briefcase): KENTA vs. ? (Juice?)

NEVER: Shingo vs. ? (Ishii? Suzuki again? Cobb?)

Junior Tag Titles: Desperado and Kanemaru vs. ? (they literally don't have an actual team for this slot unless YOH makes it back. Wato and Taguchi maybe?)

Tanahashi vs. ? (maybe this is the slot for Suzuki?)

NEVER Six man gauntlet? 

An old timers match to give Tenzan one last match in the Dome (I presume he's the next retirement...)

It would mean Naito losing on day 1 ? Yikes. That Naito win at the Dome last year was great, but everything that followed has been terrible thanks to the godawful EVIL push. Naito cant get a break it seems. Also, Ibushi simply defending against Jay White on day 2 instead of winning the big thing on that day clearly makes it secondary. 

• 4 weeks later...

So... AEW and IMPACT are gonna have a relationship... IMPACT contracted guys TJP & Chris Bey in the Super J Cup, promoted on IMPACT TV... Mention of NJ guys like Suzuki on AEW TV... Don Callis, former NJPW announcer and IMPACT executive, basically "managing" his old friend Kenny Omega, AEW champ... 

Ok, don't get me salivating like that, it's still COVID era and such. Still. Soooo much potential for cool stuff opening up.

I needed that match. A live, enthusiastic crowd, excellent work for the most part, no tiresome commentary (I had the Japanese commentary, and they might all be Art Donovan for all I know but it was all greek to me, so...), some great camerawork and Hiromu's perennially awesome tights. Just when I started figuratively checking my watch, they kicked it up a gear and a good time was had by all.

It was certainly a very good match, and the taking off the mask was cool. Hiromu is a ridiculously great worker and Desperado did work the match of his life. However, there's no reason for it to go 30 minutes when the result was never even remotely in doubt.

That tag-team final was everything wrong with NJPW. Overlong match with a complete shit finish after a bunch of nonsensical run-ins (so, Jado is back, just like that, and the ref does nothing) that aren't any better than whatever Russo booked in WWF in the late 90's. The GoD are dull, uninteresting, mediocre at best workers that have been there forever, and now they are going to the Dome ? Way to make me not care, again.

Apart from the G1, this has been a terrible year for NJPW for me, with the Bullet Club as a whole becoming a complete turn-off as you get the same shit in every match now. The EVIL push was a gigantic failure, Great-O-Khan is pathetic... The Ospreay heel turn is basically the only exciting new thing in the company.

This was certainly a bit of a downer year for NJPW (especially with COVID). From Wrestle Kingdom to the shut-down they were pretty much on fire. Naito got his moment, the Golden Aces breathed life in a tag division that has been dominated by the awful GoD, Hiromu made his comeback, and Shingo won the NEVER title. But the EVIL push, while interesting on paper, was an utter failure and became a caricature of the worst BC tendencies. Jingu was a step in the right direction and the G1 was great (although some matches fell a bit short of expectations and the B Block fizzled out near the end). Then Ibushi lost the briefcase which was a giant gut punch. Naito couldn't rid himself of that pesky EVIL. Tanahashi has been defined-down into the midcard despite still bringing a ton to the table. Okada won't get rid of the Money Clip. The KOPW trophy had potential but became a background prop. O-Khan became Fale 2.0. And for the love of God why are GoD still getting pushed?

That all being said, there were things I DID like post-COVID shut-down. The NEVER 6-Man Tag Title tournament grossly overachieved and made for an excellent feel-good story for YOSHI-HASHI. Nagata and Suzuki had a really fun mini feud where they basically tried to kill each other. Shingo made himself the new workhorse of the midcard (a step up from the middling Goto). Taichi finally put it all together and not only has a good team with Sabre, but was arguably the breakout star of the G1. Hiromu's brief foray into the Heavyweight division was a lot of fun and proof that he's going to be an even bigger star down the line. I didn't watch all of BOSJ but there were some really good matches and the finals, while never in doubt, was a huge star-making performance for Desperado.

Hopefully WK acts as a reset. I have faith it can be a great show.

On the other hand, the Super J Cup was super easy to watch. EL Phantasmo, ACH and Chris Bey were the standouts to me. So, Phantasmo vs Hiromu at the Dome at least makes a sure killer match, as Phantasmo is just an all around awesome worker (yeah I know, there will be some bullshit but hopefully Phantasmo & Hirumo being so great will make it work).

1 hour ago, El-P said:

On the other hand, the Super J Cup was super easy to watch. EL Phantasmo, ACH and Chris Bey were the standouts to me. So, Phantasmo vs Hiromu at the Dome at least makes a sure killer match, as Phantasmo is just an all around awesome worker (yeah I know, there will be some bullshit but hopefully Phantasmo & Hirumo being so great will make it work).

Phantasmo leans in and is cheeky with the bullshit. He also has the best low blow in the biz (the straight punch to the dick). I thought the Super J was only ok, lots of guys working matches meant to pop a crowd in front of no one,  but Phantasmo was great all the way through.

Thoughts on the WK lineups thus far?  Leaving aside the uninspired booking that got us there, night 1 looks pretty solid on paper.  Naito/Ibushi and Okada/Ospreay should be great and attract a crowd, while Tanhashi/Khan is intriguing and you can never write off Tanahashi on a big show even in NJPW did just that this year.

While Shingo/Cobb looks like a fun match, I don't see the hook to attract a crowd on night 2 unless the logic is enough fans can't get into night 1 and will go on 1/5 as a backup option.  A main event of presumably Ibushi/White with few fireworks behind it hardly seems like a major show.

Tanahashi vs Khan is garbage. I don't care if Tana can get a good match out of him, it's a complete waste of Tanahashi. Great-O-Khan should be an opening match guys jobber. Terrible, terrible use of Tanahashi on a Dome show.

Same thing for the tag-team titles, complete waste of Zach & Taichi.

Naito vs Ibushi could be great is neither kill themselves. Still the way to get to this match has been embarrassing so the match looks like a messer deal because of it. The main event the second night also looks weaker, despite Jay being a great worker. Okada vs Ospreay could be all kind of awesome, but I hope they don't get into the multiple run-in bullshit, and the Money Clip hampers Okada's matches to me. Shingo vs Cobb should be excellent because Shingo is just that great. Phantasmo vs Hiromu should be awesome.

The overall direction of the company just isn't promising to me anymore. The Bullet Club shit is a turn-off now, with Togo (what a great signee this guy was....), Jado, Gedo doing the same shit in every match down the card now. I have zero interest left in EVIL and he should have big matches on both cards I guess. Running two Dome show was an interesting gimmick last year, becoming a yearly things is gonna hurt the product, it already has with the dumb-fuck booking of Ibushi losing his ticket yet getting the title match anyway because you need two of it now.

On paper, the card is actually pretty good (except for the waste of Tanahashi), but how we got there has been poorly thought out. I imagine that Okada will bring back the rainmaker at WK, just like at WK13 when he came back with blonde hair and shorts.

Also, a BC implosion has to be coming soon right? It's way bigger than it ever was with two former IWGP winners - one of them a double champ - vying for leadership. Mind you, me wishing for the end of BC will probably be a Monkey's Paw situation where the split happens and produces two heel factions and even more interference bullshit occurs. 

I would be stunned if this was always the plan for Tana. I have to believe he was supposed to get a foreigner that wasn't able to travel (Mox?).

I'm excited for the shows - how many big shows with 20,000 people have we seen in the last 9 months? - but they do also feel like they're lacking something. Poor Naito has basically only defended against EVIL and feels completely cold. They sort of only heated Ibushi and White up part of the way for the big match, so they both seem like they're lacking a little bit as challengers. It feels like there's a real chance for these shows to be fun but forgettable if Okada-Ospreay isn't a classic.

I am VERY excited for Hiromu-Phantasmo, but I really wish they hadn't gone with this two night gimmick, because it feels like a foregone conclusion that Hiromu wins to work Ishimori on Night 2. 

I know Gedo's not keen on calling audibles, but O-Khan is terrible and I'd have found a way to do Tana vs Suzuki (or Ishii or Goto or SHO) to at least get a decent match out of it.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm guessing WrestleKingdom is on at an ungodly hour for most of you, it's on at six pm here so I'm settling in for the evening. Giving us Ishii and Suzuki and Nagata early doors predisposes me to enjoy this card, even if two of them deserve better than the Rambo. And here's Goto, who I like too. Don't normally watch pre-shows but I'm glad to check this out.