Pro Wrestling Only

Chris Jericho's new third book

Loss

I was just curious if anyone had read it yet. I skimmed it last night (reading certain sections and looking for highlights) and my first impression is that it's a step down from his two previous books, but we still get plenty of my favorite thing - Vince stories!

I think my biggest takeaway from it is that Jericho isn't all that self-aware most of the time, is a hothead, drinks a ton and is pretty tough to work with, but Vince respects his talent and sees his value, so he deals with it.

It's about Mickey Rourke. Rourke thought Jericho was shooting in the Larry King appearance and was prepared for a real fight. He brought backup with him to Wrestlemania, including Frank Shamrock. Someone in WWE PR tipped Jericho off that Rourke was ready to fight and Jericho was able to smooth things over. Jericho later told Vince what happened and Vince said he, Finlay and Malenko could take all of those guys in the ring, especially the midget (Shamrock). Jericho knew Frank was a badass and said to Vince, "Okay if anything goes wrong, I'll take Rourke and you take the midget." Vince responded "Damn right" and sauntered on.

Oh, also, the original pitched idea for Jericho-Punk was for Jericho to somehow hold Punk down and TATTOO HIS NAME on him in the build to Wrestlemania. Punk absolutely loved the idea and even arranged for Jericho to get tattoo lessons from his guy in Chicago, but Vince felt like Punk already had so many tattoos that what's another one? He was also worried that the live tattooing would draw blood. So Vince ended up suggesting that the story be about alcoholism and they went from there.

I was just curious if anyone had read it yet. I skimmed it last night (reading certain sections and looking for highlights) and my first impression is that it's a step down from his two previous books, but we still get plenty of my favorite thing - Vince stories!

I think my biggest takeaway from it is that Jericho isn't all that self-aware most of the time, is a hothead, drinks a ton and is pretty tough to work with, but Vince respects his talent and sees his value, so he deals with it.

What do you mean by lacking self awareness? Too high an opinion of himself/his accomplishments?

Just curious.

What do you mean by lacking self awareness? Too high an opinion of himself/his accomplishments?

Just curious.

I take it you don't follow him on Twitter or listen to his podcast. During his most recent WWE return he would talk about every PPV match he had stole the show or was match of the night. He is very showbizy/Hollywood too.

"I know some people said that they could guess the finish to my match vs Randy Orton (where he went up to the top rope to do... what? -MD), but come on, we all know they're all lying. It was great."

Is the RVD match rant still online? I wonder if I can find it.

Got it.

All right, I've had it. You want a war? Now you've got one. I'm suffering from a bout of insomnia, so I decided to go on the web and check out the reviews of the King Of The Ring from tonight, more specifically on the PW Torch website. After reading what all of you "smarks" (and believe me, you are all still marks) had to say about my match and the show, I am furious.
Everybody has the right to an opinion and here's mine. I am sick of all you holier than thou, pompous, jackasses. That's it. That's all. Baby goes to sleep now. I had one of my best matches of the year tonight with RVD, that featured 20 minutes of tremendous action, innovative false finishes and an absolutely tremendous crowd. It was everything I could've asked for in a match and it was in my opinion, an off the charts performance from RVD and myself, match of the year caliber . I was so excited about the contest and I can humbly state that we stole the show. The crowd was so into it that they were burned out after we went on, quiet for the next 3-4 matches. They ate up every move from start to finish, and they enjoyed the hell out of it.
But now I read the opinions of some of you. Many of you state that the match was very good or excellent. I agree. But many others are saying that the match was slow and predictable with one jackass even saying that it was one of the worst matches of my career!!! How can you honestly say that? What the hell do you people want? What is it that you are looking for? We go out there and bust our asses to entertain you (and if the Columbus fans were quiet, they sure as hell weren't during my match, they were entertained) and your thoughts were that bad?
Well if you didn't like my match tonight, then you are out of luck if you're a Jericho fan, cause it was the best you're gonna get, jerky. That was CJ at his finest. Wrestling at it's finest. A great 4 1/2 star performance with a tremendous build, a great crowd and an awesome match.
If you didn't like it, then stop watching me and stop watching the WWE and take up bowling, cause you will never like anything we give you.
I'm the first one to admit when my performance is not up to snuff, or when something was bad and I'm the most self critical person on the WWE roster, but tonight's performance was me at my finest. Didn't like it? Get the F out then and good riddance to you.
For all of you that enjoyed my match I say thanks. For those that didn't like it, I don't care cause I'm through with you.
I am now finished with the internet and I'm finished with this site because I hate what you marks are doing. You've spoiled it for me. Your negativity is ridiculous. You all come off like a bunch of bitter know-it alls, who won't be happy with anything we give you. Nothing is ever good enough and quite frankly I'm over it. You are the same people that are saying that Attack of the Clones is boring, analyzing every little detail, instead of allowing yourselves to be entertained by it's magic.
It seems that some of you wish the wrestling business would dry up and die, because some of you dislike EVERYTHING we do. Is it always good? No, but we are killing ourselves to try and entertain you and if you don't respect that, then kiss my ass. I want the business to be around forever and I am doing my part to keep it great and I did that tonight, no matter what any of you think.
Alot of the boys pander to you on their websites, asking for your input and your thoughts and I used to be one of them. Guess what? I'm not anymore. Think what you want. I don't care. Do what you want. I don't care. Respond how you want too as well, because I won't be reading. I don't give a damn about what you think anymore...
One of the best wrestlers in the world and one of the performers in the best match of the night and match of year candidate from the KOR,
Chris Jericho

Oh, also, the original pitched idea for Jericho-Punk was for Jericho to somehow hold Punk down and TATTOO HIS NAME on him in the build to Wrestlemania. Punk absolutely loved the idea and even arranged for Jericho to get tattoo lessons from his guy in Chicago, but Vince felt like Punk already had so many tattoos that what's another one? He was also worried that the live tattooing would draw blood. So Vince ended up suggesting that the story be about alcoholism and they went from there.

This sounds awesome. Shows how neutered WWE can be at times as this would have absolutely been green lighted in the late 90's.

Just curious.

I take it you don't follow him on Twitter or listen to his podcast. During his most recent WWE return he would talk about every PPV match he had stole the show or was match of the night. He is very showbizy/Hollywood too.

I do listen to his podcasts..well, the interviews on them anyway. He can come across as arrogant and in his own wee world, but I sort of admire the way that makes him a better hustler, you know?

Jericho wanted to work with Punk because of a big blow-up the two had a couple of years before the Wrestlemania match. There was a house show headlined by Jericho-Punk vs Edge-Morrison. It was the same day as some big hockey game, so Jericho and Edge asked if they could call the match in the ring so they could watch the game earlier in the day. So Punk calls the match and just works it all by himself. Jericho kept waiting for a tag that never came. Jericho and Punk ended up in a shouting match afterward with Punk telling Jericho he and Edge were unprofessional for not wanting to work out their match, so he decided to take it into his own hands. They ended up just agreeing to disagree because Punk was adamant that he did the right thing and Jericho was adamant that he didn't. While Jericho still doesn't see the problem to this day with just calling the match in the ring, he liked Punk's stubbornness and chip on his shoulder and thought they had that in common, which would create a strong program.

I do listen to his podcasts..well, the interviews on them anyway. He can come across as arrogant and in his own wee world, but I sort of admire the way that makes him a better hustler, you know?

For sure it is ethic that made him what he is. Like Mick Foley and Bret Hart. That and he is an 80s type showman rock star. Just wish he was slightly more self aware.

I don't think he is a bad dude or entirely self obsessed. How he compassionately handled the post release Drew McIntyre interview showed that. There's also this recent story: http://www.ringsidenews.com/article/19655/chris-jericho-helps-out-injured-fan-at-rock-festival/ worth noting from his first book that his mother is quadriplegic.

Anyway the book itself.

Jericho wanted to work with Punk because of a big blow-up the two had a couple of years before the Wrestlemania match. There was a house show headlined by Jericho-Punk vs Edge-Morrison. It was the same day as some big hockey game, so Jericho and Edge asked if they could call the match in the ring so they could watch the game earlier in the day. So Punk calls the match and just works it all by himself. Jericho kept waiting for a tag that never came. Jericho and Punk ended up in a shouting match afterward with Punk telling Jericho he and Edge were unprofessional for not wanting to work out their match, so he decided to take it into his own hands. They ended up just agreeing to disagree because Punk was adamant that he did the right thing and Jericho was adamant that he didn't. While Jericho still doesn't see the problem to this day with just calling the match in the ring, he liked Punk's stubbornness and chip on his shoulder and thought they had that in common, which would create a strong program.

I remember this story, just added more fuel to me not liking CM Punk the person.

As for the story Helms mentioned on Twitter a few years ago of Shawn blowing up on Jericho in front of everyone, considering what Jericho did to deserve that, he sort of got off easy. Someone else can explain all of that. There has to be some reason left for people to just read the book.

As for the story Helms mentioned on Twitter a few years ago of Shawn blowing up on Jericho in front of everyone, considering what Jericho did to deserve that, he sort of got off easy. Someone else can explain all of that. There has to be some reason left for people to just read the book.

What did Jericho do?

Come on, I'm not buying the book.....

That said, the short version is that Jericho made an ass of himself while drunk on a European tour in front of Shawn's wife and children, who he brought along on a working vacation. Shawn never asked anyone to behave differently but people were trying to have some boundaries anyway. Well, except Chris. The kids were up late one night and Jericho was loudly swearing up a storm and Helms told him he should watch his language. He said, "It's not my fault Shawn is keeping his kids up so late" really loud in front of everyone, then sarcastically waved "Goodnight!" really loud at him and his wife.

I picked up the book yesterday and have only glanced a little at it like Loss, but it does seem entertaining, even if it is a bit of a drop-off. I find Chris flip flops between self-aware and not so much (as mentioned). He's very upfront about how stale his old act was upon returning, but glancing ahead, acts like the program with Michaels was this huge money-drawing angle (was it really?). The Rourke story was awesome and I look forward to more thoroughly reading the book to take in more stories like that.

That said, the short version is that Jericho made an ass of himself while drunk on a European tour in front of Shawn's wife and children, who he brought along on a working vacation. Shawn never asked anyone to behave differently but people were trying to have some boundaries anyway. Well, except Chris. The kids were up late one night and Jericho was loudly swearing up a storm and Helms told him he should watch his language. He said, "It's not my fault Shawn is keeping his kids up so late" really loud in front of everyone, then sarcastically waved "Goodnight!" really loud at him and his wife.

Thanks Loss, won't ask for anymore stories..... ;)