Pro Wrestling Only

A list of favorites...

Tim Cooke

- What is your favorite singles match?

- What is your favorite tag team (2 teams of 2) match?

- What is your favorite multi-person (2 teams of 3 or more on each side) match?

- What is your favorite type of wrestling?

- What is your favorite angle of all time?

- Who is a wrestler you found to like because of the internet?

- WCW or WWF 1996-1998?

- Do you like Lucha Libre? Why?

- If you could book a "Super Show" card with 3 matches with a guarantee to draw a huge crowd and maintain monster heat the whole night, what would it be?

My answers:

Right now, I am not too sure. I have really gug a ton of matches that are clipped or JIP for only a few minutes. Bill Dundee vs. Jerry Lawler from 1979 (which I should have in full shortly), Jerry Lawler vs. Randy Savage (Loser Leaves Town) but those are only 5 minute segments. Probably Eddy vs. JBL right now from 5/16/04. Story, heat, intensity, BLOOD. Next in line is Santo vs. Parka from 12/23/01. The first times I saw this, I shat on it. Seeing it again in the latest package that Will sent gave me a totally new perspective on it.

Bam. Savage/Poffo vs. RnR Express x 2 from 83 and 84. They need to be seen back to back, with original commentary and with Meltzer/Cornette commentary. As much as I love the great AJPW tags, these two matches can work ANYWHERE in the US on any day.

Hmmmm, Wargames, Thunderqueen, AJPW 1990-1992 six man tags. Ah, what the hell. 4/20/91 Jumbo/Taue/Fuchi v Kawada/Misawa/Kobashi (48 minute version). The 48 minute version adds a piledriver and a swinging neckbreaker, two of my favorite moves.

Memphis, done right with Lawler/Dundee/RnR/Eaton/Condrey/Cornette/Jimmy Hart/Joe LeDuc/Buddy Landel

Morton taking the piledriver on the table from Savage.

Giant Baba, Destroyer

- WCW or WWF 1996-1998?

WCW. Fuck the WWF.

Yes, but really am more geared to liking intense, hateful Lucha now-a-days. I like the technical aspects but give me Santo/Parka killing each other over a Technico v Technico match.

- If you could book a "Super Show" card with 3 matches with a guarantee to draw a huge crowd and maintain monster heat the whole night, what would it be?

Main Event: Jerry Lawler vs. Bill Dundee (1989 - Memphis - Loser Retires Forever)

Semi-Main Event: Rock n Roll Express vs. Randy Savage/Lanny Poffo (1984 - Memphis - NO DQ)

Opening Match: Bobby Eaton/Dennis Condrey/Big Bubba/Jim Cornette vs. Ted Dibiase/Steve Williams/Hacksaw Duggan/Tommy Rogers

Tim

Misawa Vs. Kawada (7/29/93?) I'm not positive that's the right date. The one where Kawada breaks his arm.

Misawa/Kobashi Vs. Kawada/Taue (I think the date is 6/9/95) It's the one where Kobashi gets his quad worked.

Actually, I can't think of any. Probably a War Games match involving the IV Horsemen or some scramble spot fest from ROH.

Japanese Strong Style. I like when people like Samoa Joe, Low Ki, etc. wrestle stiff too.

Sting Vs. nWo

Eddie Guerrero. On the flip side, a wrestler I found to hate because of the internet would be Kevin Nash.

- WCW or WWF 1996-1998?

WCW. I got into the overall card more. Cruiserweight curtain jerks, Raven's Flock, Goldberg's streak, Page's ribs getting beat with crutches and Sting Vs. the nWo.

Not especially. From the exposure to it that I have, it's mainly a lot of botched spots. Admittedly, I haven't seen the true Mexican version of Lucha, just the bastardized American version that I've seen from ECW, WCW, etc.

Make this show from matches that actually happened or just pit together three matches I'd like to see?

If it's from matches that actually happened:

Rey Mysterio Jr. Vs. Eddie Guerrero from Halloween Havoc to curtain jerk. Hot, fast-paced match that'd get the crowd going if they weren't already doing so. Of course, you made the crowd stip. so whatever.

Mikey Whipwreck & Yoshihiro Tajiri Vs. Tony Mamaluke & Little Guido from ECW on TNN. This happened after Whipwreck/Tajiri won the tag titles in a 3-way on PPV.

The Undertaker Vs. Jeff Hardy Ladder Match from Raw because it was great at making you suspend disbelief. I actually thought Hardy was going to win the match towards the end. There was no line in the sand about whom was heel or face either. I really liked 'Taker's Undisputed title run, although I know I'm in the minority on that.

A good cruiserweight match to start things out and put on a good match. A hot tag match with innovative spots and a final? that has a lot of entertainment that makes the workrate no longer matter.

If it's just making matches I'd like to see, I wanna see William Regal work American Dragon in Ring of Honor. That's the only thing that instantly springs to mind though.

This question always gets me and I think I give a different answer each time I'm asked. I'll just go with Flair/Steamboat 2/3 Falls this time around.

Midnight Express vs. the Fantastics at Clash I. Had they not done a dusty finish this would probably be remembered as one of the greatest tag matches of all time.

WarGames: Dangerous Alliance vs. Sting and Co. Best blow off to a feud ever.

New Japan's Junior style. I like the mix of mat work and flying as opposed to the spot fu that passes for indy matches these days.

The Mega Powers explode.

No one really. My likes and hates have always been my own.

- WCW or WWF 1996-1998?

WCW by about 100 miles. The WWF's mid-card was a mess these years.

Yes, it's a nice change of pace from American and Japanese wrestling. I also found it a lot easier to appreciate once I understood the internal logic to the matches. I also like the fact that it's mostly lighthearted as opposed to the mean spirited nature of the WWF.

1. Ultimo Dragon vs. Shinjiro Ohtani from the J Crown semis

2. Ric Flair vs. Keiji Mutoh from the 95 G-1 Climax

3. Bill Goldberg vs. Hulk Hogan - Goldberg's title win

--- Right now, my favorite singles match is Magnum-Nikita Match #7. I know this is nowhere near the best matches I have ever seen but in my attempt to compile a Magnum TA comp, I am loving the hell out of this feud.

--- It still remains 6-9-95.

--- Wargames 87.

--- Man, I think this crosses over with favorite promotion and era since I would have to say 1990s All Japan. THen again, I am addicted to 80s NWA right now.

--- The NWO in 96-97. It singlehandedly made me start watching wrestling again after a 6/7 year hiatus.

--- Kawada, Kobashi, Misawa, Baba, Destroyer, Jumbo, Liger, Adonis, Backlund, Samoa Joe. I know these guys exist because of the internet. With the WWF guys, I didn't care for them as children and pimping on the net made me look for more of their stuff.

- WCW or WWF 1996-1998?

--- You know, my knee jerk reaction is to say WCW but I am still bitter that they screwed that company up. On the other hand, while I shunned WWF at the time, I am loving the hell out of the WWF comps that Some Guy made me from this time.

--- Of course. I like the fluidity of the movement. I like the different paradigms in which it operates. I love the history of the mask and how these guys were viewed as super heroes. Man... lucha rules.

---- If my goal is to make money, then I book the following...

MAIN: Andre-Hogan

SEMI MAIN: Atlantis-Villano3

SEMI MAIN: Hashimoto-Takada

I make it an international card and attempt to book the matches that would resonate with the public from all three countries. Now, where to hold it?

- What is your favorite singles match? - Akira Hokuto vs. Manami Toyota, 8/21/93 (Most exhilarating five minute stretch run I've ever seen).

- What is your favorite tag team (2 teams of 2) match? - Misawa/Akiyama vs. Kawada/Taue , 12/6/96 (The pinnacle of All Japan's great story driven tags).

- What is your favorite multi-person (2 teams of 3 or more on each side) match? - Misawa/Kobashi/Akiyama vs. Kawada/Taue/Ogawa, 7/2/93 (This is paced so quickly that it has the feel of a Junior trios match as opposed to an All Japan main event. Mindblowing).

- What is your favorite type of wrestling? - Early 90s All Japan. AJW from the same period comes close for me, though.

- What is your favorite angle of all time? - The whole Bret Hart/Steve Austin double turn saga.

- Who is a wrestler you found to like because of the internet? - Too many to name.

- WCW or WWF 1996-1998? - WCW for match quality, WWF for storylines.

- Do you like Lucha Libre? Why? - I don't follow it but I'd gladly seek out essential matches, especially if they involve Santito.

Rey/Eddy, 10/97

Rock/Jericho, 10/01

Wargames '92

Mitsuharu Misawa vs. Kenta Kobashi (1/20/97) Perhaps the best pure pro-wrestling match of all time. Great ending that got over how tough and spirited one guy is, without killing the believability of the match.

Kawada & Taue vs. Misawa & Kobashi (6/9/95) Incredible story telling to go along with incredible wrestling. What else is there?

Mitsuharu Misawa & Hiroshi Hase & Toshiaki Kawada vs Kenta Kobashi & Akira Taue & Jun Akiyama (9/26/97) This was like a fun exhibition type match that eventually became more serious as it went along. It was also interesting to see Kawada and Misawa on the same team at that point.

The type that combines story-telling with great wrestling, rather than story-telling and poor-wrestling or vice-versa. 90's AJPW and AJW would be at the top of my list.

The Ogawa vs. Hashimoto thing always fascinated me. It was just such a believable and well-executed angle, even if it probably stretched on longer than it needed to.

Too many to list. The internet is reponsible for me being exposed to ECW, US indy and Japese wrestling.

- WCW or WWF 1996-1998?

WCW. WWF was pretty good in 1997, but WCW was just firing on all cylinders at that point. And WWF in 1998 was just brutal.

I like it, but I'm realistic about it. I don't ignore its flaws or dismiss them as being acceptable while using the "lucha eyes" excuse. But I like watching the style.

Jushin Liger vs Shinjiro Otani (3/30/96)

Hiroshi Hase vs Great Muta (12/14/92)

Vader vs. Nobuhiko Takada (8/18/94)

Given I haven't seen a whole lot of Puro-Lucha-Memphis e.t.c then hardly anyone will agree with my choices. The only fields I have really seen a lot in is Mainstream/Indy US and I've seen a fair bit of British.....

What is your favorite singles match?

Steve Austin v Triple-H at No Way Out 2001. I've explained why this is good many times, usually to no avail, so I won't bother again.

What is your favorite tag team (2 teams of 2) match?

Mitsuharu Misawa & Kenta Kobashi vs. Toshiaki Kawada & Akira Taue 09/06/95. One of few Puro matches I have seen. I should really check out more, but my money is taken up with other stuff right now, and ROH is the current priority in terms of wrestling stuff.

What is your favorite multi-person (2 teams of 3 or more on each side) match?

Wargames 92. So much drama, intensity, blood, the whole package.

What is your favorite type of wrestling?

I like solid, technical wrestling, with plenty of move variety. Strongstyle is up there as well.

What is your favorite angle of all time?

Steve Austin + HHH> What can I say, I was still an innocent mark when watching this stuff, but to the feuds credit the promos still hold up today, especially on the HHH side, and I actually enjoyed the booking, although i am in the minority.

Who is a wrestler you found to like because of the internet?

William Regal. I had previously dismissed him as being boring, despite loving his mic work.

WCW or WWF 1996-1998?

WWF. Having said that, I didn't watch WCW back then and have had to pick up old tapes, which I suppose don't capture the same excitement now as they did back then. The wrestling in WCW was better, but I preferreed the angles in the WWF for the most part, excluding Undertaker.

Do you like Lucha Libre? Why?

I haven't seen much, but what I have seen I haven't enjoyed much, and has just seemed a bit spotty.

If you could book a "Super Show" card with 3 matches with a guarantee to draw a huge crowd and maintain monster heat the whole night, what would it be?

The Rock v Steve Austin (Wrestlemania X7)

TLCII (Wrestlemania X7)

Chris Benoit v Kurt Angle (Royal Rumble 03)

None of these would make even my Top 10 Matches ever, but I do feel they would conspire to make an excellent and varied, heat filled show, which would draw a big number.

I like it, but I'm realistic about it. I don't ignore its flaws or dismiss them as being acceptable while using the "lucha eyes" excuse. But I like watching the style.

I gotta hear more about the "lucha eyes" argument.
I've seen some lucha fans use that argument when certain criticisms are levied against a match. Like if certain spots or falls are really contrived or if a match is just one giant spotfest with no direction or meaning. Basically they make it seem like those crticisms don't apply to lucha because "that's just the way lucha is". Which is nonsense, because that'd be like saying no-selling in NOAH is fine, because thats just the way NOAH is.

Guest HarleyQuinn

This is tough. I'll say Wrestlemania 8, Bret Hart vs. Roddy Piper as that match made me a Bret Hart fan as well as what cemented me on loving wrestling.

4/11/1999 (Spring Stampede) w/Raven & Saturn vs. Chris Benoit & Dean Malenko. You pit 3 guys I loved (Raven, Saturn, Benoit) and another wrestler I was learning to dig (Malenko) and let them pull off this sucker...yum.

7/6/1997 (IYH: Canadian Stampede) was the epitome of the fun Canadians vs. Austin & friends feud.

I can dig pretty much any style. My favorite style is probably the Japanese strong style though. Stiffness + Hatred + Matwork & occasional Flying...contains everything.

Eddy Guerrero going Rudo in WCW and constantly bitching out Chavo Guerrero Jr. The "Eddy Guerrero is my favorite wrestler" shirt totally won me over. Second might be the whole Jericho/Malenko feud.

Dean Malenko. I liked him while seeing him wrestling live but I learned to really appreciate him more with the internet. Same can be said of Steven Regal.

- WCW or WWF 1996-1998?

Damn...I'll take WCW in 1996/1997 and the WWF in 1998. Then back to WCW in 1999.

I'm mixed on it. I was getting into the EMLL(CMLL)/AAA stuff via Galavision and was digging some (Shocker among others) while hating some stuff. I tend to prefer the 1 fall rules and didn't really see the appeal of two refs (though I understand why it was necessary).

- Wrestlemania X: Bret Hart vs. Owen Hart

- 4/11/1999: Chris Benoit & Dean Malenko vs. Raven & Saturn

- 4/2/1993: Akira Hokuto vs. Shinobu Kandori

Guest Mike Campbell

Toshiaki Kawada vs Akira Taue from the 1995 Champions Carnival

What is your favorite tag team (2 teams of 2) match?

Akira Hokuto/Shinobu Kandori vs. Bull Nakano/Aja Kong (3/27/94)

War Games 1992

All Japan from Chosyu's invasion until 1997 or so.

What is your favorite angle of all time?

When Dirty White Girl was sporting a black eye supposedly from the Dirty White Boy. Her crying distracted Tom Prichard so that Dirty White Boy could attack him from behind, hang him from the top ropes, and cut his hair. From Continental wrestling in 1988 I believe.

Who is a wrestler you found to like because of the internet?

Jumbo Tsuruta

WCW or WWF 1996-1998?

WCW, not just for the nWo, but for the Luchadores, Benoit, Malenko, Guerrero, Regal vs. Finlay, etc.

Do you like Lucha Libre?

Yes, although I've not seen a whole lot of it.

Why?

I'm still not used to some of the customs of Lucha, but I find the flashy style and colorful characters to be a nice change of pace.

If you could book a "Super Show" card with 3 matches with a guarantee to draw a huge crowd and maintain monster heat the whole night, what would it be?

Well these are more geared toward the heat department but here goes.

1. KENTA vs. SUWA (9/18/05)

2. Art Barr/Eddie Guerrero vs. Octagon/El Hijo del Santo (11/6/94)

3. Ric Flair vs. Ricky Steamboat (2/15/89)

That's hard. I've been watching so many different promotions in different eras it's almost unfair to try to pick just one favorite. One that stands out in my mind at the moment is the match between Terry Gordy and I believe Ted DiBiase for the UWF title in a cage. You can feel the HATE just pouring out.

RnR vs The Andersons. Ricky Morton at his best, I thought the women in the crowd were going to have heart attacks when the Andersons would beat him down.

Canadian Stampede just might be everything that wrestling should be: off-the-charts heat, just the right amount of Sports Entertainment, and just the right booking to not expose any lesser workers.

I love the old school 80s stuff. Mid-South, Memphis, JCP.

The nWo arriving in WCW. You had to watch Nitro every week because you never knew what was going to happen next. I miss that when I watch RAW now and can pretty much book the entire show in the first 20 minutes.

Christopher Daniels. I was actually made aware of him when he was doing the Curry Man gimmick and just kept following him.

- WCW or WWF 1996-1998?

WCW was smoking everyone in this time period. Hogan's heel turn might go down as the last real suprise in wrestling. NO ONE expected that shit, and the feel of being legit shocked at something in wrestling was just awesome.

Yes, because I'm a fan of all wrestling. The non-cheap answer would be to say because it's a different style that I didn't really get to see much growing up other than when Mil Mascaras would stop by in World Class.

Hogan-Andre

Von Erichs-Freebirds

Rock-Austin

Impossible to answer which is a good thing. So I'll just nominate a random favourite. Kobashi vs Misawa from 1/20/97. Kobashi lariats a jumping Misawa from off of the ropes and I am in absolute love with this bout.

Right now it's the 2 Owen Hart/Ben Basserb vs Viet Cong Express matches that I've seen. Two teams fighting with all their fighting spirit who know they're putting on something special and they just revel in it. Ben Basserb especially is great at showing this during the two bouts. If I made a top 10 list of the matches that I feel the most passion from this'd be extreamly high

-

Thunderqueen followed by War Games

Well, I like a lot of stuff with the exception of a few styles. This is something I've been thinking about a lot lately. What is the ultimate style of wrestling? For people in general? For me? How would I modify stlyles to make my ultimate style?

Stampede, All Japan Pro Wrestling from the 90s, shootstyle, AJW and JWP. Otheres too. I can't decide.

Bret Hart and Canada vs the world. Benoit vs Booker where Benoit refuses to win match 7.

Good question. Adrion Adonis.

- WCW or WWF 1996-1998?

WCW

Oh yeah. There's a lot of great wrestling there and it all feels different. It's like another world.

-

I assume we can't fantasy book here. Ah screw it, I will.

Dynamite vs Tiger Mask

Hulk Hogan vs Steve Austin

Kenta Kobashi vs Andre the Giant

Regarding the NWO ...

I think the oversaturation of the group and bad booking and overcrowdedness of it all by mid-1997 or so has tainted the memory of the whole thing and how amazingly good it was at the beginning.

From a storyline perspective, watching the 07/29/96 Nitro is like watching a movie. That's the Nitro where all the main eventers were in the ring for a six-man tag when Hall and Nash laid out the entire locker room backstage. Rey Misterio got thrown into the trailer like a dart. Eddy Guerrero is screaming for help for Rey and Rey is swearing that he saw four guys. Randy Savage goes nuts and jumps on top of the limo as it's speeding away. Ric Flair and Sting, hated enemies from a rivalry as old as the promotion itself, help their respective friends onto stretchers and accompany them to the hospital in the *same ambulance*. Woman breaks down in tears. Bobby Heenan walks off the show in fear of his own safety. It's extremely captivating television.

The next week, the NWO is nowhere to be found and the Horsemen jump Brutus Beefcake and beat the everloving shit out of him. Flair does a great promo saying that if Hogan wants to take out his best friend, he's going to take out Hogan's best friend. Other friends of Hogan The Nasty Boys are being pummeled by a large group of babyface and no one makes the save because again, they're friends of Hogan. The NWO sends WCW flowers consoling them "on the death of WCW" to end the show.

Arn's promo is an all-time classic!

"Intense pain is a wonderful thing, Gene Okerlund. Your life flashes before your eyes, things that are the most important to you become crystal clear. You start to begin to learn the meaning of life. Last week when they stuffed me in that ambulance and I looked across and I saw Flair, Sting, Woman, Bagwell and myself, I realized that we were people brought together not by philosophy, but by necessity. And I started to think, new world order, new world order, where have I heard that?

"And I remembered in the Good Book it says, 'When the new world order is put into place it signals the beginning of the end of time.' Well, WCW is our world, it's where we live and breathe. And if you want to destroy it, Hogan and The Outsiders, you've already made a mistake that jumps off the page. If you're gonna take a baseball bat to a Horseman, finish the job. Because there's one rule of gang fighting. See, we are the original gang and we're the most vicious in all of professional wrestling history. They send one of yours to the hospital, you send two of theirs to the morgue."

Three weeks later, Ted DiBiase shows up at ringside and holds up four fingers before saying "Next week, five!" The announcers are convinced he's joining the Four Horsemen. Later that night, the NWO swarm the ring and attack the Horsemen. Sting and Luger are not available for the save because they're led to believe they are chasing the NWO down the highway in a high-speed chase. They even hi-jacked a police vehicle to do so. The next week, you see what appears to be Sting in the parking lot talking to the NWO. Lex Luger confronts him and Sting turns on him ... outside, in the rain, after dark.

Of course, the whole Sting thing being revealed as a fake Sting was the shocker of all shockers, capped off by Sting morphing into a different persona because no one in WCW trusted him.

Wrestling storylines haven't hit a high note anywhere close since this, really.

Intense pain is a wonderful thing, Gene Okerlund. Your life flashes before your eyes, things that are the most important to you become crystal clear. You start to begin to learn the meaning of life

This is one of my fav promos ever. The part I quoted is something that I've always remembered because it is so very, very true. Though you are grateful for the pain allowing you to see things you're also cursing it upside down every second of the day. Anderson's interviews just felt real. Moreso than almost anyone.

Arn had another great interview one time about Benoit and Woman on one of the syndicated WCW shows where he went on talking about family. I remember Anderson's words just having that realness touch to them.

The WCW vs NWO angle was totally riveting. Every week everyone was glued to the sets wondering what was going to happen next.

Guest Real F'n Show

Bret Hart vs. Steve Austin - WM13

Flock vs. Horsemen from Spring Stampede '99. Just love that match.

Michinoku Pro "These Days" tag. Just awesome.

Any wrestling where they do a lot with a little. As in an actual story being told instead of overusing big and "innovative" moves for no reason, except that they look cool. Psychology helps, as does a backstory.

Everything with Bret and Austin leading up to Canadian Stampede.

Pretty much everyone in Puro, that I discovered through the internet. I'll narrow it down and say Toshiaki Kawada.

- WCW or WWF 1996-1998?

WCW, although I did enjoy WWF alot in 97.

It's alright. I'm no lucha expert, and sometimes I get confused, but if I know the backstory to a bloodfeud and am watching the blowoff brawl, there's nothing better.

Opener: Rey vs. Eddie from Halloween Havoc '97

Angle vs. Benoit from the Royal Rumble in 2003

Bret vs. Austin from WM13