Pro Wrestling Only

Match Length

BillThompson

I was watching Verne Gagne versus Red Bastien from the Chicago Film Archives today and I got to thinking about match length and a match being great. I'm not the biggest great match guy, it's not something I hold as vital to my perception of a wrestler. But, I made my blog about great matches because that's what I want to write about and I feel it will help keep my blog fairly positive which is a big deal to me for reasons related to my other writing. Either way, the reason I bring up match length is because I've always had this idea that a match has to be at least over ten minutes to truly be a great match. A sub ten minute match can be really good and have great work contained within, but it lacks something from not reaching that ten minute mark. I guess I'm just looking for thoughts on match length and how it effects your take on a given match, wrestler, wrestling in general, and so on and so forth.

I've never been a match length snob. A great match is a great match no matter how long it takes.

I've seen 2/3/4 minute matches that I've loved and would have no hesitation in calling great.

I think a part of this is that I've always been a fan of Divas matches and they are generally short as hell. Whether it's them or any short match, I find seeing what they can fit into a very short space of time to be impressive.

There's a reason why the name "Nitro match" existed and why no great match is attached to it. Between 15 and 25, depending on the workers and style involved, is ideal. You can have a great 10 minutes match, but it will still be a great 10 minutes match, if you know what I mean. Lesser than that, yeah, it will be some great action of great angle driven stuff for a few minutes.

Match size matters. You can have a really big match, but if you don't know how to use it, you're not going to be able to create an exciting climax for your fans. A match that's too big for his own good could accidentally hurt someone too. But a really big match does give wrestlers locker room bragging rights sometimes.

Match size matters. You can have a really big match, but if you don't know how to use it, you're not going to be able to create an exciting climax for your fans. A match that's too big for his own good could accidentally hurt someone too. But a really big match does give wrestlers locker room bragging rights sometimes.

So HHH likes really big matches because he's compensating? That explains a lot, actually.

Anyway, I don't think there's any reason for a match to go longer than 30 minutes. With that said, my three favorite matches of all time are all longer than 35 minutes, and two of them are longer than 40. So who knows.

All of these 30-40 minute matches i'm trying to watch for GOAT are killing me. I rarely have more than 20-25 mins at a time to watch anything.

I'm not actually doing the GWE voting, but I'm watching a lot of the matches guys post for certain wrestlers and I will not be watching anything longer than 40 minutes unless someone considers it one of the greatest matches ever. Don't want to get caught watching a match that I think is bad and seeing there is 23 minutes left.

I think the crux of Bill's question is, can a sub 10-minute match really be considered great, or is it handicapped compared to great 20-30 minute matches? This is a good question. Is there a lack of psychology or narrative due to the time constraints which holds it back? Yes, you can tell a story in any length of match, but can you tell an all-time ***** story in that short amount of time?

Yeah, that's my issue. Shamrock/Owen from Fully Loaded '98 is a great example. I love that match, and though it has a flawed ending with a few more minutes it easily would have been an all-time great match. But, at just a shade over five minutes I don't think I can say more than it's a really good match with a truly great Owen performance that I love.

This reminds me of an Ozaki vs Chiggy match on a big GAEA card in 99. It lasted about 5 or 6 minutes, and Oz was smart as hell during this and made it as good as it could. Yet, I would never call it a great match, although Oz was definitely having a great performance for what it was.

On the other hand, Yoshida vs Fukawa going 10 minutes in the first round of the ARS Tournament that same year (how do I even remember this stuff when I didn't watch it in more than ten years ?) was the closest thing to a legit great fucking match I've ever seen. Yeah, I would call this one legit great. But a bit too short. Damn.

I think it's hard for me to say a short match is great, because one of my favorite parts about wrestling is the escalation of the beating the guy is taking and the story they are telling. It's hard for both guys to really take a beating in 10 minutes.

Now, there are tons of matches I see where I say "Man, that was great for a 8 minute match."

Don't you know that Ric Flair at one point worked 90 minutes matches every day against Steamboat, and twice on Sunday ? And they were different matches all the time too since back in the days bla bla bla They sold out everywhere too.

See, to the guys working I'd imagine it's a point of pride to talk about working long matches because anyone in any profession takes pride in working hard with a challenge like length .

But the question as I take it here is if a match can be great if it's short. And of course it can, if a match is fucking four minutes long but delivers everything it has to and has the people going nuts, than it's great.

I will say that something like the Lawler-Snowman match that went four minutes in 1990 challenged everything I thought I knew about great matches and good presentation. A four-minute house show main event with a double DQ finish still managed to be pretty spectacular. It's a reminder that while we can come up with general rules that are usually true, there will always be noteworthy exceptions to every rule about how pro wrestling is supposed to be.

What do people generally think of the Doom-Horsemen match at Starrcade '90? That one is pretty great too, and it only went 7:19.

That it was a great 7 minutes match.

Is that the street fight where Windham and Arn are the Horseman? I do remember it being pretty great.

I'm not writing off short matches by any measure, I get a lot out of short matches. But, there's a part of me that can't get past the idea that a five minute match is only a smidgen of what could have been presented. The short film comparison doesn't really work for me either, as with a short film you know that's what you're getting before you get it, which isn't the case with a short match.

What do people generally think of the Doom-Horsemen match at Starrcade '90? That one is pretty great too, and it only went 7:19.

That's wild. I always think of that as about 10-12 minutes, but apparently not. Always LOVED this one. Just a blazing brawl and great enough that I'm comfortable calling it my favorite sub 10. Almost great enough that it'd force me to rethink just how long a great match must be. I always ballparked 12-15 as a prereq for great, on the idea that anything less and you're basically a sprint without the ability to build much drama or tension to a finish, which I generally think of as necessary for great. But damn was this brawl GREAT.