Pro Wrestling Only

Vince McMahon on Stone Cold Podcast

goodhelmet

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I get a kick out of Jerry thinking that Vince saying he's not out of touch means something.

Didn't say it meant anything just thought it was an amusing line in the context of recent debates.

I also think with things like this that confirmation bias comes into play. Guys who like Vince like me will watch it and continue liking Vince. And guys you don't like him like you will point out all the ways he's flawed.

For me, that interview was the best thing that WWE have put out in about a decade. I loved it.

I can't get over how bizarre and unnerving it is just to hear a conversation with Vince. Something about him just sets you on edge. Even putting aside who he is, he very much has the vibe of the crazy uncle at thanksgiving that might fly off the handle if approached wrong. His mental tics seem so raw and on the surface to me (maybe because they've so deeply colored WWE verbiage). The stuff with the pool seemed like Vince McMahon, human being. Almost everything else seemed like Vince McMahon, carefully self-molded litany of pre-determined responses and buzzwords.

I actually believe the bit about his "shyness" (even if thats a poor word for it) in small mixed company. I get the feeling he would be very uncomfortable passing time outside of the realm where he is emperor of the universe. I think his longtime insistence (reiterated here) that wrestling competes with all mainstream entertainment, despite the massive failure of it to actually do so, speaks to an insecurity the actual place in the world of his life's work. Rubbing elbows with political movers and shakers - yeah, I could see him being very uneasy there.

According to Wikipedia, Switzerland has four national languages: German, French, Italian and Romansh. While English isn't listed, it's plausible that he could have learned it...unless there are stories of him coming to this country and not knowing the language?

I would assume that he learned English in school like it is usual in most European countries. Current situation in Switzerland is that schools have to teach one foreign language for pupils of the age of 9-10 and a second one for pupils at the age of 11 and older. So I would assume for most schools in the German speaking regions of Switzerland (which Luzern is part of) that means English at the age of 9 and French at the age of 11.

I didn't enjoy this as much as others seem to have. It was a fun watch but nothing ground breaking IMO.

I must say though, I think my heart stopped a little when Austin mentioned Savage as I honestly thought he would follow up with the oft discussed questions of why he isn't already in the HOF and why he is essentially blackballed. But alas...

I didn't enjoy this as much as others seem to have. It was a fun watch but nothing ground breaking IMO.

I must say though, I think my heart stopped a little when Austin mentioned Savage as I honestly thought he would follow up with the oft discussed questions of why he isn't already in the HOF and why he is essentially blackballed. But alas...

8kSvs3x.gif

So close.

Thoughts on the interview:

- If you were really expecting Austin to crucify Vince and really push him, you were going to be disappointed. With that being said, I think Austin asked a lot of good questions but due to it being Vince's company/network, there was only so far he could go.

- Cesaro is charismatic and has character, but Vince outright said that he doesn't get Cesaro's character or understand it. I also do think him being Swiss is a piece of it, since Vince basically admitted it. If they ever let him do the "HEY" stuff, Vince will get it. Vince gets catchphrases.

- Funny how Vince doesn't want to have meaningless matches but never gives any non-main eventers much time to talk. I'm certain Triple H talks more in one Raw episode than Kofi has had in his entire run.

- I'll never understand why anyone cares about the Hall of Fame. There are limo drivers in it as well as Pete Rose. WWE will induct anyone they can to make some money off of it or to get attention from it. I bet WWE inducts Snookie or K-Fed someday.

- Vince seemed to forget his struggles invading Memphis and World Class, but some of that was probably due to the little interview time. He also seemed to forget Crockett expanding as well.

- I have no idea where Jake came in as a special attraction. He certainly was never positioned that way. Andre and Hulk were.

- Vince did have a strange childhood, but his dad had money, connections and power. Vince wouldn't be where he is without his dad being who he was. Maybe he would have been a wrestler if he wasn't a McMahon, but who even knows. Vince had a head start that others would dream of having.

- I didn't really get the story about Vince Sr. not giving that announcer the raise. I'd like to hear both sides to that story. As we saw in Memphis with Lance Russel, a strong television announcer is priceless.

- Vince can make anyone a star that he pleases. Anyone can be a star by never losing, getting a strong push and constantly getting good programs/storylines. I've yet to see Roman Reigns in any 20+ min singles matches and yet Vince is strapping the rocket to his butt. Meanwhile, Daniel Bryan was given lousy storylines, a heel turn, Kane, was forced to change the "YES" chants into "NO" chants, was pushed as a troll/goat, was mocked by the announcers and somehow was still the most over guy on the roster while having the best matches. You think Roman Reigns and Triple H could have survived all that? I don't.

- I don't think Vince really understands why people don't take as many risks these days, even though his company doesn't take that many risks nowadays either. It's likely because he's rich and hasn't had to apply for a job in 40+ years. WWE has no real competition and unless you are a main event guy, if you leave WWE, you're likely not coming back. Where else can you make 6 figures unless you're a big manager, programmer, lawyer, doctor or something similar?

Another part of the interview that I thought cleared something up to me is in regards to Bret's book. In Bret's book when talking about Wrestlemania 13 he claims that Austin had never bladed before so Bret bladed for him. On the pod Steve mentions Bret cut him so the heat would be on Bret. I wouldn't be shocked if Austin worked Bret a bit on his inexperience with the blade so the heat wouldn't fall on him.