Pro Wrestling Only

All Japan Excite Series #4

http://placetobenation.com/all-japan-excite-series-4/

10969301_10100205200919520_1188091592_o.

Can you contain your excitement? Steven and Parv watch another four matches from the halcyon days of 90s All Japan.

01/21/92 – Jumbo Tsuruta vs Toshiaki Kawada
05/22/92 – Mitsuharu Misawa, Toshiaki Kawada & Kenta Kobashi vs Jumbo Tsuruta, Akira Taue & Masa Fuchi
05/25/92 – Kenta Kobashi & Tsuyoshi Kikuchi vs Doug Furnas & Dan Kroffat
05/30/92 – Mitsuharu Misawa & Tsuyoshi Kikuchi vs Jumbo Tsuruta & Akira Taue

Kikuchi was big in the early 90s as the whipping boy for team Misawa. He was essentially THE face-in-peril and you have to realize that guys get over big in Japan on showing spirit. Which happens to be a huge strength of Kikuchi's along with selling. I have to think you'll eventually at least like Kobashi's offense. The suplexes will probably win you over even if the crying doesn't. I am one of those few who is very down on Kobashi's later career work with the exception of certain matches. I almost hate you for being down on Kawada. But I will forgive. It seems like you are skipping an important match in 8/92 Misawa vs. Hansen. It's one of the matches that cements Misawa as a force to be reckoned with. Also, one of Hansen's few really great matches with Misawa. Great listen guys, keep up the good work.

You are correct Jesse. I wouldn't say Misawa was pushed out of nowhere but with the exodus of Tenryu and co. for SWS, a shock was needed immediately so the traditional system of guys being underneath for a multitude of years (MIsawa was around 8 years in at this point) was set aside and it took the cleverness of the upset against Jumbo to really establish himself as being able to hang with the main crew. I don't think any match has went so far as making one person as 6/8/90 with Misawa.

Good listen and this set of matches is one I'm less familiar with overall. The only thing I have strong feelings on is 5/25/92 which when I watched the complete version was ***** for me and something where I want to write a long form article at some point on it being the best southern tag in history.

• 2 months later...

01/21/92 – Jumbo Tsuruta vs Toshiaki Kawada

Parv: ***

Steven: ****1/4

05/22/92 – Mitsuharu Misawa, Toshiaki Kawada & Kenta Kobashi vs Jumbo Tsuruta, Akira Taue & Masa Fuchi

Parv: ****3/4

Steven: ****1/2

05/25/92 – Kenta Kobashi & Tsuyoshi Kikuchi vs Doug Furnas & Dan Kroffat

Parv: ****3/4

Steven: ****3/4

05/30/92 – Mitsuharu Misawa & Tsuyoshi Kikuchi vs Jumbo Tsuruta & Akira Taue

Parv: ***3/4

Steven: ***3/4