Pro Wrestling Only

WWE TV 8-10-8/16

Strummer

Reigns has been doing some press lately and mentioned he found out about the mania finish right after the HOF ceremony on Saturday. And reading into his comments it seems as if the company was taken aback by the negative response to the Rumble more than we initially thought. They didn't see it coming

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you need to stop going to wrestlingforum. At least take a break from the "General WWE" section for a while. It's like you are "hate reading" that board :lol:

It's a habit I can't possibly break. It's obviously not hate reading though, that doesn't exist. I'm just waiting for the board to get better.

Cute.

I was being honest though, goc keeps bringing WF as a topic when we already know what kind of place that is and the kind of reaction the WWE section has to everything that happens in the company. And it doesn't seem like he has a good time reading that board either.

I was being honest though, goc keeps bringing WF as a topic when we already know what kind of place that is and the kind of reaction the WWE section has to everything that happens in the company. And it doesn't seem like he has a good time reading that board either.

And I realized that you had me to dead to rights and I had no legitimate response except to use the tried and true deflections.

Crazy to think that in September of last year I saw Uhaa Nation headline an Evolve show at the Brooklyn Lyceum seating a couple hundred paid. Less than a year later, he's getting a big WWE debut just a few blocks down the road at sold out Barclays in front of 13,000.

One disappointment of Summerslam is the usage of the World, IC and US titles. Would have been an opportunity to maybe change one of the belts or at least establish new challengers as legit upper midcard/main event. Instead it's totally safe, status quo placement. Cena-Rollins does absolutely nothing for me and feels like a step backward for both guys. Ryback's SS title match is a three way with the one guy in the company who makes him look comparatively small, and a third guy who should never wrestle.

Reigns has been doing some press lately and mentioned he found out about the mania finish right after the HOF ceremony on Saturday. And reading into his comments it seems as if the company was taken aback by the negative response to the Rumble more than we initially thought. They didn't see it coming

Is there anything as consistently reliable as WWE being taken by surprise when their fans don't accept someone they feel should be a top guy? They really truly feel they know what their fans want yet never seem to actually listen to them.

Crazy to think that in September of last year I saw Uhaa Nation headline an Evolve show at the Brooklyn Lyceum seating a couple hundred paid. Less than a year later, he's getting a big WWE debut just a few blocks down the road at sold out Barclays in front of 13,000.

One disappointment of Summerslam is the usage of the World, IC and US titles. Would have been an opportunity to maybe change one of the belts or at least establish new challengers as legit upper midcard/main event. Instead it's totally safe, status quo placement. Cena-Rollins does absolutely nothing for me and feels like a step backward for both guys. Ryback's SS title match is a three way with the one guy in the company who makes him look comparatively small, and a third guy who should never wrestle.

I'm guessing they are deliberately keeping the focus off the titles at Summerslam so as not to undermine the gimmick of Night of Champions.

Incidentally I really hate the idea that they run a PPV where the gimmick is basically "titles matter on this show!". They should treat the titles with that level of importance for every PPV.

I still don't get why they're doing the Cena-Rollins match as title vs title. After all the time they spent rehabbing the US belt with Cena, they'll either end up (if someone wins both belts) either doing a tournament likely won by some midcard guy doing nothing or have the winner of the match do the Jay Lethal double champion gimmick where they'll probably forget about the US belt in a couple of months. If they don't have a clean finish (and they probably won't) then they'll have Cena chasing Rollins and the US title still gets forgotten.

I'd say you can't promote a title vs title match without the winner actually holding both belts concurrently for a while thereafter, but then I remember Wrestlemania VI. Of course they can do that. I'm expecting a non-finish, or maybe even some weird WWE logic-style finish where Sheamus enters himself in the match like Rollins did at Mania, but he is pinned by Cena, which gives Cena the title. Rollins drops the title without doing a job, and Sheamus makes the claim that he should still have his briefcase since he wasn't beaten by the champ. The Authority vacates the title and sets up a winner-take-all triple threat at Night of Champions and Rollins pins Sheamus to regain the title without Cena having to lose. Then again, I wouldn't be surprised at all for them to put Cena on double duty defending both belts for a series of pay-per-views. I don't expect it, but I wouldn't be surprised.

I still don't get why they're doing the Cena-Rollins match as title vs title. After all the time they spent rehabbing the US belt with Cena, they'll either end up (if someone wins both belts) either doing a tournament likely won by some midcard guy doing nothing or have the winner of the match do the Jay Lethal double champion gimmick where they'll probably forget about the US belt in a couple of months. If they don't have a clean finish (and they probably won't) then they'll have Cena chasing Rollins and the US title still gets forgotten.

Are they considering putting the World title on Cena because ratings have been flat since WrestleMania? Maybe they're starting to lay the groundwork for Cena vs. Reigns at WrestleMania XXXII?

This is WWE; either Cena wins clean or Rollins wins in a screwy fashion that does nothing to elevate him. Maybe they have a surprise in store or they'll just have Sheamus cash in immediately afterward?

Good question.

I don't think people will turn on the match. I think things will be genuinely split. Obviously both guys have their detractors, but the "Cena hate" has included a certain amount of begruding respect for the past 2-3 years. His biggest critics complain most about him winning all the time, not necessarily that he's not a good wrestler. The "5 Moves of Doom" thing is so 2007 and, unlike "The Savior" CM Punk, Cena didn't walk out just because he's not main eventing WrestleMania (note - Cena hasn't main evented one for two years now) or leave the WWE for Hollywood like The Rock. The "Cena hate" is a part of the show, but its almost "tongue in cheek" now, no better illustrated than when Cena returned at that Rumble a few years back - at first, the crowd erupted in cheers, then they realized they were cheering Cena and booed.

There is a certain type of fan who hates what Cena symbolizes eventhough, in 2015, Cena symbolizes (a) consistently having the best match of the night and (B) doing it a match or two before the main event. People who don't see things that way will cheer on Reigns because he symbolizes someone new and fresh.

Reigns also has his detractors and, like Cena from 05' to at least 07', there is plenty to dislike in his character and arguably one-dimensional in-ring work. Personally, I think Reigns has improved tremendously over the past year (look no further than the shitty, dull Orton match from last year's SummerSlam compared to what Reigns was able to do through just his selling and bumping against Bray Wyatt last month), but I'm a Cena guy these days. Like I rooted for Hogan at WM6 (eventhough I felt, deep down, even at age 6, that Warrior would take it), I'm going to go into the inevitable Cena/Reigns clash cheering on the incumbent...knowing full well that Reigns is going to get "the torch."

Fans who poo-poo the match outright will be the minority (or should be). Neither guy is a "part-timer," neither guy is the boss's son-in-law, both will be (with Bryan gone) the likely number 1 and number 2 babyfaces on the roster. In fact, your question has me pretty amped for the potential in that match and its build-up.

That's the weird thing, it's not clear what the point of all this is. Cena doesn't need the belt, and keeping him out of the world title hunt has quelled a lot of the "same old shit" bitching about him since he hasn't been the main focus. It's also too soon to take the title off Rollins, and I'm not sure they want to do the bit where the MITB winner comes in to make it a three way since they just did that at Mania.

From what I can tell no one was actually announced as champion so I can see them being able to give themselves wiggle room in editing/post.

Not really a spoiler but just in case

Two different people did come out with belts though. I guess they can air the matches for the go-home show...

Cena-Reigns is a lead balloon with a WM crowd.

I know not everyone is as wordy as I am, but on this topic I really would like to know why Cena-Reigns would be such a disaster. The Cena hate is nowhere near what it was. Daniel Bryan's career is a question mark and Ambrose is nowhere near as over as he was last year (ditto for Cesaro if you want to include him), so if Mania were tomorrow, Reigns wouldn't really be taking anyone's "spot." Lesnar will probably be on the undercard. Austin might be on the undercard. The Rock and Ronda Rousey might be on the show. I don't see how Reigns/Cena in a Torch Passing match is going to turn away viewers in 2016. In fact, if you take Lesnar (and Austin and The Rock) out of the equation, is there a bigger match the WWE could run? Cena/Taker maybe? Even a Shield three-way isn't a big as Reigns/Cena.

Shortest answer I can come up with: it would be a Torch Passing match from one guy they tired of seeing in main events to a guy they didn't want to see in main events.

WM crowds are tricky to predict but I would have to agree this would have all the signs of at worst being totally shit on or at least being met with indifference.

I would *much* rather see Reigns/Lesnar 2 at Wrestlemania.

I think if booked well that has the potential to be really great.

Agreed. The first match was so unflinchingly brutal and, since Brock isn't a full-time guy getting overexposed on Raw, this will be a very marketable match.