Pro Wrestling Only

WWE TV 8-10-8/16

Strummer

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just don't know if I could deal with people whining about how he's not in the main event. Hell, they were trying out a variation of Loss' idea by making him IC champ and people complained about that. Making him a deliberate opening guy match is asking for trouble.

There is an 18 page thread on wrestlingforum of people crying about Randy Orton poking fun at Kevin Owens' weight in a tiny little throwaway line from last night. I'd rather not even see Daniel Bryan come back if it's just going to lead to a bunch of 'OH MY GOD HE ISN'T GOING TO MAIN EVENT WRESTLEMANIA~!!!" bullshit.

The news sites are reporting that Kevin Dunn told Orton to make the comments about Owens' weight, which caused #FireKevinDunn to trend on Twitter earlier today, which I find highly amusing.

I just don't know if I could deal with people whining about how he's not in the main event. Hell, they were trying out a variation of Loss' idea by making him IC champ and people complained about that. Making him a deliberate opening guy match is asking for trouble.

There is an 18 page thread on wrestlingforum of people crying about Randy Orton poking fun at Kevin Owens' weight in a tiny little throwaway line from last night. I'd rather not even see Daniel Bryan come back if it's just going to lead to a bunch of 'OH MY GOD HE ISN'T GOING TO MAIN EVENT WRESTLEMANIA~!!!" bullshit.

The news sites are reporting that Kevin Dunn told Orton to make the comments about Owens' weight, which caused #FireKevinDunn to trend on Twitter earlier today, which I find highly amusing.

Not saying it's not true, but what's their source for this story that sounds like something someone assumed happened?

Seems like Meltzer is being credited with it but he specifically said on twitter that he DIDN'T report that. So I'm gonna chalk that up to being a bullshit report that someone just made up because 'well it sounds like it could be true and obviously it'll get clicks"

And most of the outrage wasn't even about that report it was specifically that someone would dare to say something bad about Kevin Owens' weight on TV. Like every single person who ever cut a promo on Jerry Blackwell didn't call him fat. Like that's not the first thing The Rock would have said about Owens if he had been wrestling in the Attitude Era.

It's just ridiculous how sensitive people are about Randy Orton asking him if he gained weight recently. Especially since HE DID GAIN WEIGHT RECENTLY.

Is there an easier rumor to start than Kevin Dunn told 'x' person to say 'y' thing about 'z' NXT person?

I'm happy that they found something for Summer Rae to do? I thought she was really good at promos/back stage stuff in NXT.

Btw, how did they explain Rusev going from being Russian to Bulgarian?

And also, I'd love for Daniel Bryan to come back and slay Brock Lesnar while they build around him for the next few years, but that's not the only way he can be used, and at this point, the timing of the injuries has been so bad that I'm not sold that he even should have another main event run. If anyone has a different idea that would do these things, I'm all ears.

- Use him in a way on TV that has the potential to build momentum for him again and eventually make the last two injuries seem like a distant memory

- Put him in a role where if he's injured yet again, they aren't having to sacrifice too much of whatever their plan was

- Give exposure to some lower-card guys who need it and would benefit from a good match with Bryan

- See if the fan support is still there to elevate him to main events without preordaining that it absolutely is or isn't there

I'd love to hear other ideas if they can hit all four of those points.

I was thinking about this today...

IF (big if) they decide to clear him I think the best use of him might actually be to turn him heel. I think they'd have to keep him face for a few months at first since he'll return to a hero's welcome, but long-term I think having him turn into a bitter heel ala Bret Hart in '97 would give them the most options while allowing him to maybe work a more grounded style and take less of a beating. The key would be to lean on the fact that even though he's small he's still the best technical wrestler in the world. They'd have to be willing to make him look strong and have him look totally capable against the top faces. As for the heel turn they could pitch it a few different ways...maybe desperation at the near loss of his career put him over the edge. Maybe he's bitter about Roman Reigns taking his spot...whatever. I think there's plenty of fuel there and I think a nice Bryan heel run where he works a more technical style would maybe be the best use of him.

As much as I'd love to see Bryan vs. Brock or a long title run for Bryan as a babyface I think the ship has sailed. We'll always have that WM30 run which was just so special, but I think given his age and health you're better off using him to build up some new stars by making them rise to the occasion to beat him.

Is there an easier rumor to start than Kevin Dunn told 'x' person to say 'y' thing about 'z' NXT person?

I'm happy that they found something for Summer Rae to do? I thought she was really good at promos/back stage stuff in NXT.

He was always Bulgarian. They never tried to play him up as FROM Russia. He debuted with the nickname 'the Bulgarian Brute'

So can we make this the official WWE thread and have a big one instead of posting 1 every week? I mean, it's pretty clear there isn't much interest in opening one thread every Monday.

I think you need to stop going to wrestlingforum. At least take a break from the "General WWE" section for a while. It's like you are "hate reading" that board :lol:

I think you need to stop going to wrestlingforum. At least take a break from the "General WWE" section for a while. It's like you are "hate reading" that board :lol:

It's a habit I can't possibly break. It's obviously not hate reading though, that doesn't exist. I'm just waiting for the board to get better.

He was always Bulgarian. They never tried to play him up as FROM Russia. He debuted with the nickname 'the Bulgarian Brute'

One of my favourite things about the Lana/Rusev storyline is the fact that Lana said that Rusev was controlling her and making her say bad things about America, when he was the one who had to adopt her nationality for a year and has made no reference to Russia since the split.

wrestlers don't need acting coaches because they shouldn't be "acting". scripted backstage skits have no place in wrestling IMO. promos are a different beast and I could see value in having improv training.

this. they're not actors. but, wwe wants to be "sports entertainment" and script everything, so these athletes have to memorize lines and bullet points and aren't allowed to cut promos off the cuff, or don't have the experience to be able to hit the points and ad-lib like a Heyman, Jericho, Rock, etc.....is able to do.

I miss the days of guys just cutting promos. All the best promos are dudes just talking crazy with no fucking script or handcuffs

Well, yeah. But I wasn't even talking about any of that stuff. Even in a strictly "pro wrestling promo" sense, Amell killed it. The guy didn't come across as scripted, handcuffed, or "acting" in any real sense. He had fire. He felt believable in that moment.

From that perspective, Neville looked totally bush league. For a guy that's been performing in front of crowds as long as he has, you'd think he would've picked up a more polished promo game. It's not about what does or doesn't come natural to these guys - it's about knowing that, at some point, it'll be called upon you to tackle that sort of stuff in this field of work.

Neville just sounded like a stage frightened kid in some play, desperately trying to recall his lines while the others guys spoke & then hit them without missing too many beats. Just awful.

And yeah. I'm someone that actually dug his edited, sit-down stuff in NXT. That is about the only way they should present him. Plopping him in the middle of the ring with Rene or doing backstage skits with him just isn't gonna do him any favors.

It's one of those baffling cases where they could just play to his strengths and not risk exposing his weaknesses that way. But that's not their approach. Ever, pretty much. And so he'll keep having incredible matches here & there - like the one with Rollins - but then he'll turn around and look like a total goof with a mouthful of marbles in situations like these. He's a deer caught in headlights in these live talking segments.

It's a habit I can't possibly break. It's obviously not hate reading though, that doesn't exist. I'm just waiting for the board to get better.

Cute.

So can we make this the official WWE thread and have a big one instead of posting 1 every week? I mean, it's pretty clear there isn't much interest in opening one thread every Monday.

I will take responsibility to starting the new thread every monday.

It was good! I loved Becky's armwork. It was focused, varied, and kept moving. I think Bayley's a very good face but if she sold how hurt her arm was better I think they could've gotten a bit more drama out of the thing. But all in all that was one of the better regular NXT episode matches I've seen in a while.

I didn't really give a shit about how the arm work looked or any of that, BESIDES Becky NOT attacking the injured wrist.That is gonna be part of the story of the Sasha match, because Sasha WILL attack the injury.

And also as far as tonight's match, Bayley is the beloved underdog, who's not considered as "good a wrestler" as the others ,who's still injured and is trying so hard and beating the odds to get that title shot. She beat Charlotte last week in an upset and tonight she get's pretty much dominated for the most part but but squeaks out a win by being wiley and going for a Hail Mary roll up while her arm was being attacked again. Someone I read said

"She beat the best athlete in Charlotte by throwing bombs. Tonight she outwitted the smartest wrestler. Now she has to bring it all against Sasha. Awesome."

Which leaves the outcome at the special in doubt. Cause if Bayley wins, it's an awesome feel good moment, but if she loses it's because she IS hurt, and is in the ring with the Champ. And after a valiant struggle, the Champ might just be a little better, more vicious, and Bayley's miracle run might just end. Both outcomes fucking work.

I couldn't agree more. It really does feel like it's building towards the perfect in-ring story for Bayley against Sasha.

First, she'll try winning with the bomb-throwing. But that won't work. Then she'll withstand the punishment, take a beating, and start stringing together some hope spots - brief comebacks, numerous roll-ups, and swift counters. But that won't seal the deal. And so then it'll come down to the big looming question of whether she can put it all together in the heat of battle - whether she can dig deep enough and put the pressure ON.

Things will probably progress to a point where they question whether Bayley can get aggressive enough - a'la Zayn versus Neville with the ref bump. I just hope it isn't an obvious mirror moment of that. I don't think there's any indication that it will be, although the redemption story & title chase is very similar. It still stands out on its own merit and has been a truckload of fun to follow.

Can't wait for the showdown. It's safe to say that I'm about a hundred times more invested in the outcome of Bayley's quest than just about anything they're doing on the main roster at the moment. And that's not to dismiss the big stuff either. I actually dig the buildup to Brock/Taker, the seemingly steady rise of Cesaro, the Miz hitting a new stride as an obnoxious heel personality, and some other stuff...

But this Bayley story arc has been on another level. It's got this engaging appeal. It's got heart. It's got a sense of sincerity. It's got everything you want in a substantial pro wrestling program. And it's been given the stage, the platform, the room, and the time to develop. What's not to love?

I probably would give less of a shit about Bayley's selling if it wasn't so obviously a big part of the story of the match. I really hope Sasha blatantly stating that she'd go after Bayley's injured hand plays out in their match. That sounds fun.

Bayley's story is a really good one. I'm not sure how much of that has to do with great long-term booking as much as it has to do with her being a fantastic underdog character. As much as I like her, I'm hoping she falls juuust short of beating Sasha at Takeover and gets her revenge at the next big special. Letting it simmer a bit more could be even better.

Then again, they're probably not going to have another show as big as this anytime soon and Sasha's most likely on her way out of NXT, sooooo....go Bayley go.

Sasha vs. Bayley really should be the main event at Takeover. It's the most compelling story going into the show, you know they'll deliver, and the crowd will eat it up. Plus from a PR standpoint it further reinforces the "diva's revolution" to be able to brag for weeks about how two women main evented the biggest NXT show to date.