Pro Wrestling Only

NXT talk

Woof

NXT Osaka result: Samoa Joe vs. Shinsuke Nakamura for the NXT Championship.

CywRqztUcAAUuzv.jpg

New champion!

Will they trade it back? At least they finally got their chance to give a Japanese wrestler the title in Japan, after Itami's injury spoiled the first attempt.

Will either of them get called up? There's been so many "Joe's getting called up after the next Takeover" rumors that I'm inclined to ignore them until it actually happens. Personally, I don't care that much for Joe's current work and hope they move on to something else in the NXT main event.

I agree.

I said this a few weeks back:

Joe vs. Nakamura in Japan has to be a set up for Nak to regain the title in his home country, right?

I'm not a Joe fan, but it really is time to call one or both of them up to the main roster. I'd dig Joe vs. Roman. That feud writes itself IMO.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The TV taping they ran this week had a match for a new #1 contender. So this is probably it for this feud in terms of what they show on TV.

Yeah, as soon as I heard

that Bobby Roode was the #1 contender, I knew Nakamura was going to regain the title in Japan.

The TV taping they ran this week had a match for a new #1 contender. So this is probably it for this feud in terms of what they show on TV.

And yet they hyped a Joe-Nakamura rematch to take place on the Australian Tour inside a steel cage.

I couldn't pick out a general theme for the look WWE wants for women in 2016 beyond "willing to put in hair extensions". It's the most diverse group of women they've ever had by far.

I guess what I meant is that she has a toned body and is physically attractive in the way that WWE wants, rather than any particular look. Even though she's a good worker, I don't think Kellie Skater is going to get hired by WWE and pushed any time soon.

I couldn't pick out a general theme for the look WWE wants for women in 2016 beyond "willing to put in hair extensions". It's the most diverse group of women they've ever had by far.

I guess what I meant is that she has a toned body and is physically attractive in the way that WWE wants, rather than any particular look. Even though she's a good worker, I don't think Kellie Skater is going to get hired by WWE and pushed any time soon.

They have the same criteria for men, don't they?

They have the same criteria for men, don't they?

They definitely have some criteria. I'm not really qualified to say whether they are the same. There's also a wider range of roles for men, e.g. Kane and the Wyatt Family. The current 'monster' of the Raw women's division is a former model.

If they are hiring off of looks and they hired Heidi Lovelace, anyone can get hired. She is a fantastic worker, but if Vince doesn't put her in a mask I'll be shocked.

Luckily they have a world class training facility where people can get into great shape in a pretty short amount of time if they have other things WWE likes about them.

If they are hiring off of looks and they hired Heidi Lovelace, anyone can get hired. She is a fantastic worker, but if Vince doesn't put her in a mask I'll be shocked.

Seriously dude?

I'm simply stating that we are talking about Vince McMahon here. It's well known that he prefers the Sable's and Sunny's of the world. If he's seen Heidi (who is far from the mold that we are used to WWE hiring) and is cool with it, than Kellie Slater would have no issue either. If Vince hasn't seen Heidi, that's where my mask comment comes into play.

I personally don't care what she looks like, she is a fantastic worker and I hope she does everything she can with the opportunity. She's been a highlight in Chikara for the past two years, and NXT or a Women's Classic will be the better for having her.

Do I personally find her attractive, no I don't. Then again I don't find some of the supposedly beautiful divas all that attractive either.

I just wasn't thinking about my personal opinion of her looks when I made my original post. I was thinking about the person who said they didn't see Kellie Slater getting hired any time soon and I was thinking about if someone put Slater and Lovelace in front of the Vince's and Kevin Dunn's of the world, Slater gets hired ten out of ten times.

Do I personally find her attractive, no I don't. Then again I don't find some of the supposedly beautiful divas all that attractive either.

I just wasn't thinking about my personal opinion of her looks when I made my original post. I was thinking about the person who said they didn't see Kellie Slater getting hired any time soon and I was thinking about if someone put Slater and Lovelace in front of the Vince's and Kevin Dunn's of the world, Slater gets hired ten out of ten times.

If you don't say this about the men, don't say it about the women. Vince cares about looks, we get it. Also, Vince doesn't really put people in masks either, so that's a bullshit statement.

The issue here is, Lovelace was hired and she is a great talent. Why add the other baggage? If they really thought she was too ugly (which she is not some hideous beast) they wouldn't had hired her.

Wrestling fans talking about looks, weight, etc... of wrestlers (both men and women) is something we need to get away from as it's pretty damn destructive.

Eh, it's a looks business. Your look/weight/height/musculature is always going to be an important factor in your career. It's a valid topic of discussion, in my opinion. I just think you should say what you want to say instead of hiding behind "Vince would do/say xyz" shit. In general, the "Vince would/n't..." caveat before discussions on any talent has been a terrible custom for wrestling discussion online for years. All these brehs psychoanalyzed him and can predict his every thought, I guess.

Eh, it's a looks business. Your look/weight/height/musculature is always going to be an important factor in your career. It's a valid topic of discussion, in my opinion. I just think you should say what you want to say instead of hiding behind "Vince would do/say xyz" shit. In general, the "Vince would/n't..." caveat before discussions on any talent has been a terrible custom for wrestling discussion online for years. All these brehs psychoanalyzed him and can predict his every thought, I guess.

The problem with that is it is driving the people in the business into steroids and eating disorders. It's not healthy at all.

Chris Hero is a great athlete and a great wrestler. He gets completely mocked for his belly and it's ridiculous.

Beautiful people get called out for being ugly all the time, skinny people called fat, etc..

Wrestling Culture did a great podcast on body dysmorphia a few years back that people should listen to.

Again, if I am a fan at home and I hear people call someone like Molly Holly or Mickie James fat, what do you think that does to a girl's brain?

By the way, Kevin Owens and Bray Wyatt are concerned fat and unfit for their roles on television, by many, seriously this is completely messed up.

If you don't say this about the men, don't say it about the women. Vince cares about looks, we get it. Also, Vince doesn't really put people in masks either, so that's a bullshit statement.

The issue here is, Lovelace was hired and she is a great talent. Why add the other baggage? If they really thought she was too ugly (which she is not some hideous beast) they wouldn't had hired her.

Wrestling fans talking about looks, weight, etc... of wrestlers (both men and women) is something we need to get away from as it's pretty damn destructive.

That's not remotely true and arguably ignorant. James Ellsworth's look doesn't matter? Vader's doesn't? Umaga's look didn't matter? Like it or not it is absolutely a part of how characters are presented and, to varying degrees, how effective a performer they are. If Braun Strowman looked like TJ Perkins, his segments and booking might come off quite differently to live and television audiences. Some may argue better while others might argue worse. But it'd take quite the specialty cocktail to convince me that I'd be seeing the same thing in Bayley vs. Nia Jax if Jax looked like Alexa Bliss or if Bayley looked like ODB.

Looks matter is different than saying I think Lovelace should be under a mask, or Mickie James is fat, or Owens is too fat, etc...

There is room for all types of bodies, shapes, looks, and you can use them differently. That's a whole different story altogether.

Just because you book someone that looks like Strowman different than TJP, doesn't mean that's it's all the sudden cool to call someone like Hero fat and gross.

EDIT: I guess my one sentence confused the issue. When I said "Wrestling fans talking about looks, weight, etc... of wrestlers (both men and women) is something we need to get away from as it's pretty damn destructive." I didn't mean we can't talk about monsters and how looks work towards characters. I meant the above stuff.

The problem with that is it is driving the people in the business into steroids and eating disorders. It's not healthy at all.

Chris Hero is a great athlete and a great wrestler. He gets completely mocked for his belly and it's ridiculous.

Beautiful people get called out for being ugly all the time, skinny people called fat, etc..

Wrestling Culture did a great podcast on body dysmorphia a few years back that people should listen to.

Again, if I am a fan at home and I hear people call someone like Molly Holly or Mickie James fat, what do you think that does to a girl's brain?

By the way, Kevin Owens and Bray Wyatt are concerned fat and unfit for their roles on television, by many, seriously this is completely messed up.

KO and Chris Hero are fat, though. Can't really deny that. I don't know why that would somehow be off limits. They're public performers. One of them performs in his underwear. The other covers up as much as he can and wears compression shirts under his gear to try to hide his very large belly. Bray Wyatt is not fat. He's built like a football player. I understand Hero has some kind of medical issue, but his weight gain is actually a pretty huge part of his character and ring style now, so to ignore because it might be mean is kind of weird. Same with KO, as "fat guy who can still do all the athletic movez" has kind of been his thing for a long time. I don't think anyone says KO or Bray are UNFIT FOR THEIR ROLES on TV. I've literally never heard that. I've heard people make fun of KO for looking like a random fan, but not that he was unfit to be on television.

It's not like we're talking about random stock boys at a corner grocery store. James Ellsworth looks pretty ridiculous to be a pro wrestler, which is why he got hired and has been on TV for months now. To pretend like he doesn't look funny so as to not maybe hurt his feelings or someone who might look like him is kind of dumb to me. HOSS Hero is on pretty much everyone's top 10 dudes on the indies right now. KO is on pretty much everyone's top 10 dudes in WWE right now. No one gives a shit about their looks beyond commenting on it.

Does fat mean out of shape? Like is Hero's weight affected his health?

There is a HUGE myth in the medical profession about weight. In fact the system they use has Sidney Crosby as overweight, so it's bullshit.

Do we know if Hero is at risk of diabetes or high cholesterol? He can certainly do all the athletic things he needs to do, so why even talk about his body?

Set weight theory is something that may be true, studies are still trying to figure it out, but if it is, that shit might be out of his control and out of most people's.

This bullshit about aesthetic appearance and weight having this huge effect on health is really crazy.

A lot of this crap is the medical/food industry pushing diets and unrealistic ideals to make them more money. Talking about fat and weight is something that is causing so much harm.

My wife has an eating disorder. Since she's been open about it, she has realized that just about every women she meets has struggled with that. Isn't that a FUCKED up thing? Shouldn't we maybe, as a society, get away from making people feel they need to starve themselves or binge to be healthy?