Pro Wrestling Only

NXT talk

Woof

How about the recently debuted Nikki Cross as a potential threat to Asuka? I don't know anything about her personally, but it seems like she has a great rep and she looked badass on the last NXT

She's definitely one of the more experienced women there. Having a faction with a woman doesn't really make sense unless there's going to be another faction with a woman for her to feud with. Rachel Ellering in the Authors of Pain doesn't seem too likely.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I liked the idea behind Sanity, but the reveal being 2 repackaged jobbers/Eric Young/tiny woman was quite the letdown. It was like when a WWE jobber goes to TNA and they act like it's a big deal.

The Australian girls are the best thing on the women's side in NXT but Live is blonde so you know who's going to get the main roster fast track.

I can just see Vince re-enacting that famous orgasm face gif upon seeing Tino Sabbatelli.

Just got around to seeing the debut of Sanity and thought they looked pretty cool in terms of their overall look. Take your point in a way, but putting a gimmick on people who would otherwise be jobbers (and might still be when the thing has run it's course) is a really good way of utilising your resources. For the guys who don't have that pre-NXT indy buzz, trying to get round the fact they don't have any reputation to lean on means that those are the best people to assign a gimmick like this to. They need it far more.

Kane maybe universally reviled these days, but back in 1997/98, the WWF essentially made a main eventer that got fairly over by taking a guy that had been, if not a jobber, a lower card guy with no real reputation at the highest level and strapping a character to him. Intrigued to see where they go with them as a group.

Definitely support more characters being given out seems it seems like everyone who comes up from NXT now is just another "I wrestled around the world for years and now I finally made it to WWE" guy.

I think the CWC sort of overplayed that angle and since they're using alot of those guys in NXT now it permeats the air, especially in light of high profile signings like Aries, Roode, and Joe who were able to keep their previous names (and by default, reputations). Guys that are more "developmental" projects like No Way Jose, Tye Dillinger, Authors Of Pain, Moss & Sabbatelli, Fulton & Wolfe, they all get more old school "characters" once they've paid their NXT dues. I think the show is at its best when there's a balance of the two types.

I love the No Way Jose/Rich Swann tag team, and evil Andrade is already 100% improved.

My issue with Sanity is how it seems that they're just play acting as bad guys. After the Nikki Cross match when they were all hitting their mean face poses it was like you could see it on their faces them thinking "now I will make a mean face for 30 seconds, then turn slightly and make another mean face".

Apparently Tim Wiese, who played six times for the German national football team (as goalkeeper), who started training at the performance center half a year ago, had his pro-debut yesterday in Munich teaming with Cesaro and Sheamus beating the Shining Stars and Bo Dallas. This is all over the sports news over here currently.

Yeah, it's ben everywhere. I've watched some clips of his first match, and he didn't look terrible, either. Not like the talent of the century, but t was alright I guess.

And it gave WWE a HUGE media push. and almost all of it in a positive way, which is good, I guess.

But as soon as it's started, it's over again. He's back to footbal again, aparently, in some amateur league. Shouldn't come as a surprise.

Last week's NXT was a bit different, and it's always nice when a show changes the formula up. Having some control centre type links between the matches, and cutting to different venues made it more like a sports highlights show and it was a nice change of pace. It was fun getting matches from the shows in California and it would be cool if in the future they sometimes throw in a match recorded at other venues, as some of the buildings NXT runs can be quite quirky and different. One of the things that makes RAW and Smackdown seem quite stale at times is that every building looks exactly the same.

The Dusty Rhodes tournament has been a bit bizarre though this year, as on this show - and the Aries injury couldn't be forseen of course - you had one team advancing through winning a singles match, and then another, which was highly anticipated being a forefit with the Revival dropping out. Gutted we didn't get more of Aries and Strong in the tournament mind.

I thought the two matches we did get were pretty good though, particularly the Authors of Pain against Swann and No Way Jose. I liked that as Jose is a big guy he was able to dish it out to the AOP before succumbing. The other match was a bit of a styles clash but again fairly enjoyable. Neither match was a classic of course, but both were solid and it's good that the four teams in the semi's are all 'proper' tag teams after last year's final was between two teams of singles guys put together for the tournament.

• 3 weeks later...

So I watched NXT this week. The opener was Rich Swann against Kona Reeves, but the match was cut short by a run-in and beat down from Sanity. All I can say is, they didn't get there soon enough. This Kona Reeves is pretty damn bad. He looked so damn uncoordinated, I could have sworn he almost tripped over his own feet while doing a whip into the corner, and fell flat on his face.

Well, isn't he in the right place, then? It could be argued that he was way too green to even be featured in TV matches, buuuut NXT's main thing was to be a developmental place, which I kinda what bothers me the most right now.

In 2014-15 they had this very nice balance between developmental talent, guys that had little exposure in the indies and relatively big indy names, and after Finn lost his NXT title, that balance seemed to have been completely lost.

Of course the call-ups hurt the show - the Womens division lost pretty much everyone, to the point where not even green people like Carmella and Dana were left - but the over reliance on established names kinda made the product sour on me. For instance, I don't really think that Aries was adding much, nor was Roode before he had his Glorious gimmick - which is very, very entertaining. Strong being there also makes not much sense to me.

It seems that they are slowly getting back on track - not sure about Nakamura and Joe still being on the main roster, though - with people like No Way Jose, Tino Sabbatelli, Riddick Moss and Heavy Machinery being built as bigger deals. The women's division, who suffered the biggest blow, has the biggest disparity possible. Asuka is untouchable, and I'm not really sure calling Kairi Hojo and/or Io Shirai benefits the division in the long term.

I guess that was my complaint. I'm all for guys being green and inexperienced, but when they can't convincingly pull off something as fundamental as a whip into the corner? I don't think they're ready for TV time yet. Then again, I might just be acting unfair and bitchy. In the poor kid's defense, that match was taped before a major PPV in front of 12,000 + fans. That had to be pretty damn nerve wracking, one would assume.

But my gut reaction to seeing him wrestle was "Damn, he's clumsy."

Looks like the Authors of Pain injured a jobber at an NXT taping: https://twitter.com/AwesomestBen/status/804136928853508099

I despise Twitter. What am I even supposed to be seeing here?

Judging from the fencing response and the fact that it apparently took the guy 5 minutes to get up, he got concussed when his partner was powerbombed onto him.

NXT Osaka result: Samoa Joe vs. Shinsuke Nakamura for the NXT Championship.

CywRqztUcAAUuzv.jpg

New champion!

Will they trade it back? At least they finally got their chance to give a Japanese wrestler the title in Japan, after Itami's injury spoiled the first attempt.

Will either of them get called up? There's been so many "Joe's getting called up after the next Takeover" rumors that I'm inclined to ignore them until it actually happens. Personally, I don't care that much for Joe's current work and hope they move on to something else in the NXT main event.