Pro Wrestling Only
Cross Face Chicken Wing

Under-the-radar wrestling book recommendations

On 5/9/2021 at 5:51 PM, C.S. said:

I am reading Bruno Laurer (Harvey Wippleman)'s book Wrestling with the Truth right now.

Spoiler

The rasslin' aspect of it is fine and interesting, but holy shit, what a judgmental, homophobic prick he comes across as.

He somehow conned Rock into writing the forward, only to call Rock's grandmother a total bitch in the book. I guess Rock never actually read the thing he wrote the foreword for. Great sign for Rock's upcoming Presidential campaign, and something Baron Trump will definitely nail him on during the debate. 

Downtown Bruno/Harvey Wippleman is so blatantly, embarrassingly, uncomfortably homophobic to the point where you're cringing while reading this. He drops the homophobic f-slur casually, seems obsessed with who is and isn't gay, who is and isn't a "closet queer," and he apparently laments that none of the gay wrestlers he ran into ever showed any interest in him - even though he is 100%, he promises, he swears, he insists, really, completely straight. 

I just got to the WWF portion, so we'll see what he says, if anything, about Pat Patterson.

Another "gem": Bruno is Catholic - great, no problem - but then he says he knows Johnathan Boyd (one of the Sheepherders and one of his mentors) is in Hell because he never found Jesus. Really, Bruno?!

Like I said, the rasslin' portion is great - especially the chapter about what an abuse psychopath asshole Sid is - but everything else about this guy's personality makes me regret spending $10. I get the sense he's probably funny in real life, or at least funny to a wrestling locker room - where you're considered a genius if someone saw you with a book in your hand once - but his "humor" (if you can call it that) definitely doesn't work on the page. At some points, his ranting style comes across as a bootleg of Jim Cornette. Must be something they both picked up in Memphis.

The second half of the book is much better...

All he has to say about Pat Patterson is that he's a great guy, etc. It's a very brief mention. Nothing about Pat being the homophobic f-word, a "closet queer," etc. I guess Harvey knew whose asses he still had to kiss. (This was written in 2002 or thereabouts.)

The chapter about Joey Marella is a very tough read. For those of you don't know, they were in a car accident together and Joey didn't make it. With that said, he pulls no punches on his opinion of Joey. Ouch!

He also goes into the Montreal Screwjob, Benoit, and 9/11 a little bit.

Bruce Prichard comes across as a severe headcase so stuck in the rasslin' bubble (and probably so stuck up Vince's ass) that stupid and cruel pranks are funny to him.

Bruno has nothing but good things to say about the McMahons, Triple H, Undertaker, and Shawn Michaels but very little good to say about most of the people he managed.

Overall, it's an interesting read for the wrestling portions. Just be warned that Bruno/Harvey's homophobic, judgmental, toxic personality gets very grating very quickly. 

Found this free book through Reddit:

Professional Wrestling - The Theatre of the Absurd: I Never Wanted to be a Big Star 
by Tom Rocky Stone, aka Steve Hall  

Are you a fan of old school professional wrestling? Want to know more life in the territories? Then this is the perfect book for you!

Professional Wrestling - The Theatre of the Absurd is a superb collection of stories showing a glimpse into the AWA, WWF, Mid-South and Central States Wrestling, If you want to know what it was really like to be a wrestler.

Tom “Rocky” Stone, aka Steve Hall has been a member of the wrestling world for decades. He will show you how he began his professional wrestling journey, his career, and his memories from driving the highways of America and so much more…

From different wrestlers he’s faced to incredible personal anecdotes, this book will give you the ultimate insight into Stone’s life and the lives around him.

With this book, he hopes to share his experiences inside and outside of the squared circle in what was a circus atmosphere during the 1970s, 80s and 90s.

I've never heard of this book or the author, but it sounds interesting - and free is free!

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B096YBR7FF/