Pro Wrestling Only

Hogan in the 80s

goodhelmet

Last night on Meltzer's show Meltz was talking about HHH and Hogan holding people down and comparing the two. HOwever, I do not care about HHH holding people down. I am more interested when Meltzer made the following comment.

"The bottom line is there was nobody ... I dont care who says what about anything... there was nobody in that period from 1984 to 1989 who put in the position of Hulk Hogan would have done as good as Hulk Hogan drawing the money. Nobody."

Do you agree or disagree? Discuss.

It's tough to say because it's all speculative. I will say that Hogan had a good look was a great talker and oozed charisma, so it's hard to disagree. His matches, although not technical masterpieces, were built well and unfolded with a lot of drama so that by the end of the match, you were pleading for Hogan to kick out. Then he would, Hulk Up, Legdrop and you were happy.

I'd have to say that's probably true. Wrestling had never seen before (or it could be argued, since) charisma like Hogan brought to the table. If Vince would have plugged anyone else in that role, it probably would have been *almost* as big but not *as* big as Hogan.

Hell, that's why he's been able to hang on for so long after his prime. He knows that there won't be another source of charisma like that in wrestling, and he'd be great in a non-wrestling role if he could ever resist the urge to put himself over the young talent.

Definately agree. I always get a laugh out of smarks who have 10-12 deep lists of heels that should've beaten Hogan in that time period. I think late 1987 at the earliest was when they could safely take it off of Hogan without killing the company. Let's look at the top heels and faces from the time period:

Roddy Piper: Never could've carried a promotion. While he was over as a heel where could you have gone with him after beating Hogan?

Paul Orndorff: His peak of popularity on a national stage was solely because of the Hogan feud. You might've been able to do an Orndorff wins the belt and Hogan wins it back a week later. Otherwise Orndorff was hurt and would've lost heat once out of the Hogan program.

Andre: Rapidly failing health. More of a sideshow attraction throughout his career anyway. Didn't need a title.

Jimmy Snuka: Cokehead. Can't have the belt on a guy that tossed his girlfriend off of a balcony.

Junkyard Dog: With the right push maybe. But he was packing on the weight at this point and a giant cokehead.

Randy Savage: Having a good run with the I.C. belt during most of Hogan's run. Did well enough on his own with the belt once he got the chance but I don't see why his I.C. run would need to get cut short.

Don Muraco: Not around for more than 6 months in a given year.

Ted Dibiase: Still new to the federation by the time Hogan actually lost the title. I doubt he was established enough to win the title in 87.

Rick Rude: Nostalgia has really colored many people's visions of Rude. He didn't really come into his own until late 88.

Guest Cam Chaos

Jimmy Snuka: Cokehead. Can't have the belt on a guy that tossed his girlfriend off of a balcony.

He didn't throw her off a balcony.

http://www.cactusjack.co.uk/superfly.html

Ted Dibiase: Still new to the federation by the time Hogan actually lost the title. I doubt he was established enough to win the title in 87.

Rumours abound he was meant to get a run with the belt at one point.

DiBiase was supposed to win the belt at Wrestlemania IV, but politics got in the way.

Thinking about it, the one part I'd argue is that by 1988-89 it was obvious that Hulk was starting to lose some of his luster with the fans and they really should have had a heel run with the title for a few months to give people reason to root for Hogan again. I think keeping him invincible for so long only wore his welcome out with the fans faster.

I would guess you guys are thinking of Carlos Monzon, the former middleweight champion convicted of murdering his wife in 1988 by throwing her off a balcony. It fits the time frame. Monzon died in 1994. Snuka allegedly killed his girlfriend in an altercation on a PA highway.

Guest Famous Mortimer

It's impossible to say, and pretty weak of Meltzer to say something like that. We can't tell, because no-one was given the chance, and no-one had the huge machine of the WWF behind them.

Huge international draw before 1983? Was he?

I think someone else could have. Don't know who, but I think that the corporation and the direction it went in was more important than the individual.

Hogan was such a huge draw in the AWA that Hogan went to a series of Dusty finishes with Nick Bockwinkel where Hogan would get the pin and seemingly the title, but Bockwinkel would keep the title because of the over-the-top-rope rule. Normally the reversals were announced on local TV after the fact, but one night they did the reversal in the arena and the crowd started to riot.

To this day I doubt Verne Gagne knew what he had.

Guest Famous Mortimer

I'd forgotten about Rocky 3, but I don't think being IWGP champ equates as being a huge international draw. Better than not being, I suppose.

I just have a problem with the cult of the personality. People are products of the time they live in. Austin got over because the time was right for a character like that to get over. Plonk him down in 1985 and he's a mid-carder. Try debuting Hogan as a 25-year old now and he wouldn't be anything like as big as he was. So I'm more inclined to believe itf it weren't Hogan, it'd have been someone else.

It kinda does. The turn was perfect for that time. But at the same time, one could argue that it took a character that was created and built in a certain way to do that, that you couldn't have pulled off in the same way. It makes Hogan an anomaly.

Guest TheShawshankRudotion

It kinda does. The turn was perfect for that time. But at the same time, one could argue that it took a character that was created and built in a certain way to do that, that you couldn't have pulled off in the same way. It makes Hogan an anomaly.

Yeah, you're absolutely right. Hogans unprecidented success which hasn't been matched since is unrelated to the man himself. That he managed to be both a great drawing heel AND face had nothing to do with his ability to connect with a crowd and was more based around the fact that he was right place/right time not once, but twice.

Come the fuck on! The dude had total control over his character in WCW, which rightfully gets thrown in his face when it comes to the decline of WCW but when it times to give him credit for the successes the dude doesn't get what he deserves. How much do you want to bet Austin won't be able to come back and have a hand in creating another boom period? The Rock? It's damn near impossible for that to happen, but Hogan did it - he managed to stay relevant in two TOTALLY different time periods with two totally different characters in two totally different companies and the significance of that gets extremely downplayed. Bullshit.

If Hogan was 25 today he'd be incredibly over wherever he'd go because he did things with and for the audience that guys don't do today. Styles and fads can change but the relevance of the crowd doesn't and Hogan knew that was the most important thing. The dude was a very smart worker who got the most out of everything he did. And in todays wrestling, where guys are too worried about which spot to hit next and are so interchangable, Hogan would be over because he'd be unique and charismatic and that gets over more than everything else.