Pro Wrestling Only

Most unjustified examples of WrestleCrap type of stuff

SteveJRogers

Akeem - Stupid gimmick? Yeah...but time has actually been pretty kind to it. Amazing theme song, more entertaining than most things we get today or in the past decade, I'm not going to defend the arguably racist elements, but again, if you call this the WWE's most shameful character ever, you simply haven't been watching.

Akeem wasn't like the worst gimmick ever or anything, it's just so petty and childish to come up with a gimmick just to make fun of the other company's booker. Plus they did it again with Virgil too. Funny how that seems to get forgotten about in all those teary-eyed Dusty tributes WWE produced.

-Who

Another one-off. This time just to waste some Saturday morning TV time doing a lame imitation of the Who's on First routine. But the hate the gimmick gets, you'd think Anvil was projected to be in the gimmick for a long mid-card run. It was just lame bad comedy for a one-time bit.

I can't think about Who without cracking up. It's hilarious. Then again I find someone getting a custard pie in the face a constant source of amusement. Old sitcoms are the height of stuff that's funny because it's meant to be funny, but is actually tiresome, predictable and unfunny. Making it ironic comedy gold. Just try watching an old show and copying all the tinned laughter and reactions of the audience one time. Ideally when the only person in the house.

Sid Vicious vs Nightstalker from Clash 13. Is it bad? Yes, but its not the worst match ever by any means, it just happens to be another bad match on a show that had several of them. Heck, if you want a worse match from that show, check out the Nasty Boys vs Renegade Warriors, or Big Cat vs Brad Armstrong.

• 7 months later...

Thinking about the rumored Natural Disasters induction in the WWE HOF made me chuckle at the idea of The Shockmaster as a HOFer.

Then I thought about wrestlers with real stinkers of gimmicks that eventually got into HOFs, not as their WrestleCrap considered gimmicks, but as something else.

But it then struck me about how derided Steve Austin's "Ring Master" gimmick was, and looking back, aside from being an example of a promotion not realizing what they have in a specfic wrestler, it really doesn't deserve the "OH MY GOD, WHAT WERE THEY THINKING" hate that it got.

Sure they clearly were basing their knowledge of Austin of of his WCCW and WCW days where except for the very end of his WCW days he had either a valet, manager/advocate, or a tag team partner to help carry the speaking duties. He also seemed a bit bland cocksure heel as the Stunning Steve character as he bounced from the Dangerous Alliance, Hollywood Blonde and Studd Stable. Oh you could tell he had something, but nothing standout-ish in the character that said "this guy can be the face of the promotion.". Not to mention toiling in the upper mid-card would make one think that would be where he topped off and that he'd fit the "mechanic" role that his Ring Master gimmick was put in. A soild worker that could fill out the mid-card.

A strong booking performance in the 1996 Rumble, and getting the KOR kind of proved that he was meant for that not quite "The Guy" level, even after giving into Austin's demand for a character make over, it wasn't until he proved he could go with Bret Hart, amd the company going through a drastic overhaul of presentation that Austin fulfilled company leading expectations.

I agree that the gimmick was bland, and not at all what Austin should have been, but not even close to being labeled "WrestleCrap."

How do we all feel about the Flying Nuns?

I love the Flying Nuns! Those early Shotguns I wouldn't classify as Wrestlecrap at all just because they were so gutsy and out of the box. How can you call Undertaker tombstoning HHH down the escalator in Penn Station Wrestlecrap?

How do we all feel about the Flying Nuns?

I love the Flying Nuns! Those early Shotguns I wouldn't classify as Wrestlecrap at all just because they were so gutsy and out of the box. How can you call Undertaker tombstoning HHH down the escalator in Penn Station Wrestlecrap?

I enjoyed those early episodes as well. Something I always remember about the match you mentioned was how Taker made sure to sit HHH up so his hair wouldn't get caught in the escalator. Just one of those odd observations on my part.

The Elmo/Sunny stuff is so stupid and bad that it is hard to believe grown adults came up with it as something that would be hip and edgy.

It was the WWF version of hip and edgy. So...

I liked the funky settings though. The bar shows was a way to make them look gritty and shit. Marlena flashing Backlund was so obviously them trying to be ECW. But of course, then again, you had Sunny being naughty with Elmo. In retrospect, who would have thought this would be her best sextape actually ?

The matches were shit though, so it was all about the goofy settings and atmosphere. Still, it felt fresh and different.